Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2009 6:37:45 PM EDT
Considering that your first "cool barrel shot" is the one that counts, when sighting in your rifle would it be best to fire a round, make the scope adjustment and let the barrel cool for 10 minutes then fire again and so on? Can you cool the barrel quicker with a wet towel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My barrel gets pretty hot before I even think of sighting it in, I want my rifle functioning the way it was designed as a battle rifle(s). If it "loosens up" after 30 or so rounds, I would rather have it sighted in for that condition, other than cold rifling that has not yet expanded after just one shot.

Body cavity nailers are way more important than tack nailers IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
know where you barrel shoots cold, hot, clean, dirty

if you sight it in for a "cold" barrel shot, what do you do for the rest of them?

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#3]
For a deer rifle, I fire one shot and let it cool all the way back down.  Because you get one shot and it will be cold!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd zero it and put in a three shot group, then come back after a couple hours and see where one goes. Then I'd go home and clean it and see where the next one went.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

For a deer rifle, I fire one shot and let it cool all the way back down.  Because you get one shot and it will be cold!

Yep, I have never gotten a second shot at a deer. I take a fan with me to the range to speed up the cooling process.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

if you sight it in for a "cold" barrel shot, what do you do for the rest of them?

That would be a pain in the ass making a "dope" for ALL conditions.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I fire at least five consecutive round with the exact same cheek weld before I even move. If you think you can stay in that position for 50 minutes go for it. I don't even make an adjustment until the second five rounds.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be a pain in the ass making a "dope" for ALL conditions.

I agree.  We are shooting minute of deer or elk, not minute of bad guys head holding a gun to a hostages head at 800 yds.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't have to worry about it cooling down if you do this...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top