Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2009 10:38:34 AM EDT
The GF wants one as a pet eventually, in a few years... she thinks they're cute.

Anyone have one or know folks that have them?

They're suppose to be as smart or smarter than dogs and litter trainable.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a friend with two female potbellies. They are lazy bastages, to say the least. I help him with toenail duty every now and then.  Nothing like some neighborhood pig wrasslin'  

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#2]
BACON !!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#3]
My brother-in law used to have one. I hated that thing, it was obnoxious.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife has 3 of them. They live out in the shed with the rest of the critters.

I hear there are smart and can be trained.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I did. But I ate him.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Save this link.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]
have one, just remember they live up to 30 YEARS!  
so it's a long term investment.
and no matter what you do, they're gonna get fat and lazy and the cuteness kinda wears off.

ours stays in a doghouse and has free roam of the whole property, but stays around the yard and lays in grass a lot.  

she likes scratches, and will roll over as far as physically possible to let you scratch her belly.
when she was little she would whine til someone put her in the bed or at least in the room with someone, she usually stayed in the laundry room at night.
very well potty trained when she was indoors, went on cedar chips in a rubbermaid cut out like a litterbox.  Went outside at around 1.5 years.

they are very dense (not dumb dense, heavy dense), ours looks about 120lbs and weighs about 180lbs...

and that cat weighs 18lbs, for comparison.  He's mostly fluff.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
i think there are smaller breeds that would work the best.

they also like to "cuddle in bed, and have a body temp of 108f", or so says the pig race guy at the fair.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#10]
naturally packaged bacon
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#11]
A former GF had one.
Vile, disgusting, aggressive creature that she could not litter train over the course of our four year relationship (she had a dog-door put in, but it would still crap in "its" room if the snow was deep enough to touch her belly, which happened every time it snowed due to a drift outside that door).  It also believed toes were food and ankles were to be attacked.

I will not date another person that owns one.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#12]
A friend had one he told me was the smartest pet he ever had.
One night it woke him up and saved the whole family, there was a fire in the kitchen and the pig woke them up before it got big.
So I asked him why the pig had a one wooden leg and he told me:
"Hell a pig that great, you wouldn't want to eat him all at once!"
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd eat one in a heartbeat!  I'd imagine that you'd have trim some of the fat off, but imagine the bacon on those little dudes!

I used to have 4 blue-butt feeder hogs that made pretty decent pets.  My dog used to play with them all the time.  The dog mourned them for about a week, but never turned down the pork I cooked up.

Get a kune kune instead.  They stay a little smaller than the potbelly pigs, and I've heard that the hams from the kune kune is delicious!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#14]
If you tire of it it will still taste like Bacon, Pork chops and ham.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#15]
No, but I'm halfway there.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Ex girlfriend had one...it was tasty

Seriously, it was somewhat interesting but I'd much rather have a good dog.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The pot belly or the pig?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks kinda cool.  It'd be funny to walk it around with that harness on, put a seeing eye vest on it.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The pot belly or the pig?

Depending on your point of view - it could go either way.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Come and get your pigs here......  
http://www.ironwoodpigs.org/
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
and no matter what you do, they're gonna get fat and lazy and the cuteness kinda wears off.

ours stays in a doghouse and has free roam of the whole property, but stays around the yard and lays in grass a lot.  

she likes scratches, and will roll over as far as physically possible to let you scratch her belly.
when she was little she would whine til someone put her in the bed or at least in the room with someone, she usually stayed in the laundry room at night.
very well potty trained when she was indoors, went on cedar chips in a rubbermaid cut out like a litterbox.  Went outside at around 1.5 years.

they are very dense (not dumb dense, heavy dense), ours looks about 120lbs and weighs about 180lbs...

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v14/57/115/12709030/n12709030_30032722_5465.jpg

This is a pretty neat thread.  Wonder what that cat was thinking?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#22]
no offense but why the hell do you want a pig as a pet unless you are an attention whore

i love my dog and nothing else

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#23]
My only experience is that they live forever.

The lady down the street has one that's older than I am (22).
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#24]
They're VERY expensive and finding a vet that can care for them are few and far between.  I looked into it a few years ago.  If you end up still wanting one after looking at the cost, make sure she knows the difference between a "pot bellied pig" which can weigh up to 75 lbs and a "MINI pot bellied pig" which wont get over 25...

Good luck

ETA:
Pigs are known for being stubborn, so you'll need to be patient, attentive and affectionate in order to train your pet.

LINK
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't know if it was a potbelly pig but a samoan friend with gave us this huge monster a couple years back. We kept it in the back yard and I fed it corn and all sorts of stuff, damn thing had tusks
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't know if it was a potbelly pig but a samoan friend with gave us this huge monster a couple years back. We kept it in the back yard and I fed it corn and all sorts of stuff, damn thing had tusks

I think that this story must be a lie.  I've never known a Samoan to part with any sort of food, or anything that might one day become food.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I had one. They are smart, affectionate, and litter trainable.

The only thing you need to worry about is livestock ordinances.

And you can keep the weight down by controlling their diet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that this story must be a lie.  I've never known a Samoan to part with any sort of food, or anything that might one day become food.

He offered us a cow too but we had to tell him no because our yard wasn't that big
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I work with a woman who has two-yes, they're housebroken but it took a lot of work. Interesting pets if you're only visiting, but I wouldn't want one-highest maintenance animal I've been around.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v14/57/115/12709030/n12709030_30032722_5465.jpg

This is a pretty neat thread.  Wonder what that cat was thinking?

He was prolly wondering which end to start at...

and not a potbelly, but the only other kinda pig i've been around much:

250yrd 30-06  150gr CorLoks.  A hogs spine is pretty low in it's mass...
weighed in just over 400lbs, like i said, they're dense.  I will never shoot another big hog and try to cook it.  Smelled like rotten piss as soon as a loin hit the grill...  the 100lb sows on the other hand are tasty!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top