Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 10:37:47 AM EDT
I've been seeing a Mossberg bullpup shotgun sitting on the shelf in a pawn shop for over a year now. Apparently nobody has any interest in it.

Are they any good? It's my understanding that it's just a Mossberg 500 stuck inside a plastic shell with the trigger moved forward. How does the weird sight/carry handle affect accuracy? How awkward is it to top them off? And do they only have the 5-rnd tube mag, or can you upgrade it to the 8-rnd tube mag?

ETA: Ok, just saw a youtube video showing how it's just a shell around a Mossberg 500, 590, or Maverick 88 and no modification is made to the shotgun within.

So, is it a decent home defense gun, or just a neat gimmick?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Neat gimmick IMO, they were popular in the 80s.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If it is just a shell around a standard shotgun, couldn't you remove the shell?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#3]
My buddy has one... they handle pretty good, and if I could find one I would buy it.  It's a little different at first, but after a few rounds I decided that I liked it.  They just look a little goofy, and IIRC you can easily put it back to original configuration.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Like this?:

Try and get it cheap, then show it off to ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Like this?:

http://thezombiesurvivalsociety.bitacoras.com/mossberg_500_bulpup.jpg

Try and get it cheap, then show it off to ARFCOM.

Not too long before CA DOJ "assault weapons" that one too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have always really wanted one for nothing more than the unique factor
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one, Absolutly positivly the WOSRT trigger ever put on a firearm.... ( so bad in fact I could not even spell worst correctly )

( but it's lots of fun, and good for some conversation at the range)

Neat gimmick.... What do they want for it?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have one, Absolutly positivly the WOSRT trigger ever put on a firearm.... ( so bad in fact I could not even spell worst correctly )

( but it's lots of fun, and good for some conversation at the range)

Neat gimmick.... What do they want for it?

The bad trigger could have something to do with the fact that the trigger on the bullpup shell is connected to the shotgun's trigger by a metal bar almost a foot in length.

I have no idea what they're asking for it, I wasn't interested the last time I was in there because I thought it used detachable magazines and that it didn't come with one (shows what I knew). Might be going for $300.

I'm thinking it might make a decent trunk gun/conversation piece.

ETA:

Is topping off the tube awkward or anything because of where it's placed?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjALzlRQ1bQ

i can't link shit . but here is a vid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The bad trigger could have something to do with the fact that the trigger on the bullpup shell is connected to the shotgun's trigger by a metal bar almost a foot in length.

I have no idea what they're asking for it, I wasn't interested the last time I was in there because I thought it used detachable magazines and that it didn't come with one (shows what I knew). Might be going for $300.

I'm thinking it might make a decent trunk gun/conversation piece.

ETA:

Is topping off the tube awkward or anything because of where it's placed?

It's a PITA to reload because you can't exactly palm a shell if you have to and feed it up past the tab like a normal shotgun.

A buddy bought one and thought it was the cat's meow...

Not so much.

The trigger is about a hair better than the Muzzlelite conversions.  That is at least the bar doesn't flex as much after you apply the 12lbs of
pressure at your fingertip.

You can just about throw out any point-and-aim technique you may have developed while skeet shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top