Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/30/2009 12:48:03 PM EDT
I see post on here once and a while about what watch do you have, and so on. I see many members have more than 1 watch, and some have what I would call watch collections. Don't get me wrong, if watches are your thing more power to you.

It just seems odd to me. I mean it's almost like a metro sexual deal or something, does my watch match my outfit? Am I wearing the correct watch for the time of day or activity I am involved in?????

I understand folks collect everything under the sun, but the fascination with watches seems weird to me. I can understand having a good watch to be worn when not working, as a sort of a status symbol I guess. That is if you work with your hands. If you have a cush job, a nice watch is all you would really need. If you need to do something a little rougher, take the 30K watch off for a short time.

I wear a Fossil, gold colored. I have inmates in the jail asking me all the time if it's a Rolex. LOL I call it my Folex, and I am amazed at how interested they are in my watch. I think it was a $150.00 watch I got when I worked in a jewellery store. I bought it because I got a good discount. I have worn it for 8 yrs now, and see it as having served it's purpose. letting me know what time it is when there is no clock on the wall.

Anyway it just seems strange to me so many men are fascinated with watches to the point of having more than one for utility.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm fascinated by just about anything mechanical.  How the parts fit precisely together, how they work in concert, etc.

Automatic watches just interest me.  I have a budding collection of them.  Whether or not they're pleasing to the eye is a bonus.

Doubt this makes me ghey as it's the same fascination that probably got me initially involved in firearms.

Eta: I don't necessarily perceive nice watches as a status symbol although some of the better movements are found in more expensive watches.  

I've got some pretty expensive knives as well...does that make me gay/metorsexual?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one watch, and the only time I take it off is when I take a shower.

It is a Citizen Eco-Drive watch, the face has held up extremely well for rarely taking it off.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm fascinated by just about anything mechanical.

No suprised that people who are into firearms also like things like a good watch, automatic knives, cars, motorcycles. Nothing metro about it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I like pie.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I own this

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Sports/AQF100_Series/product/AQF100WD-9BV/
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't worn a watch since I bought a cell phone many years back. Much more handy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No suprised that people who are into firearms also like things like a good watch, automatic knives, cars, motorcycles. Nothing metro about it.

precisely...

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
As a dude you really shouldn't care if your watch matches your outfit... but you should have at least one watch:   A casio G-shock
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As a dude you really shouldn't care if your watch matches your outfit... but you should have at least one watch:   A casio G-shock

had one.  it failed spectacularly on a single track X-country trail at Big South Fork in East TN.

Haven't purchased one since.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is a Citizen Eco-Drive watch, the face has held up extremely well for rarely taking it off.

+1 on everything he said, including the Eco-Drive.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Seiko Gold Kinetic (for formal attire)

Casio G-Shock G-511 for everyday.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got a new Invicta, digging it so far. Damn thing is friggin heavy though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Folks who like fine guns typically like fine watches.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Dress watch, everything else watch. Makes a total of 2, nothing strange there. What's the big deal with owning more than 1 AR-15?  

Nothing metro about it, I have worn a watch ever since I was a little boy and I am into mechanical things, one day I will buy a mechanical watch, just 'cause.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Let's see, nice firearms, fine mechanical watches, fast cars/motorcycles, high quality knives, good cigars, exceptional liquor, beautiful ladies........  Hmmm.......  Did I leave anything out?

At any rate, the above is all on the same isle at the MAN store.......
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why take it off for a shower?

The only time mine comes off is when I'm running.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#18]
This is the most expensive watch I ever bought, $250. I never wear it because it's heavy and I don't want to scratch it up, so it sits in the box, for three years now. I wear a Casio $25.00 from WalMart.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I love watches. They're just beautiful to me.  I can't really explain why.... I feel a little  naked if I dont' leave the house without my watch.

I feel the same way about an engine, and a firearm, and a plane... etc.

ETA: this will be my next watch. I am big fan of Diesel and Fossil watches.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is the most expensive watch I ever bought, $250. I never wear it because it's heavy and I don't want to scratch it up, so it sits in the box, for three years now. I wear a Casio $25.00 from WalMart.

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq229/Sky_5/011.jpg

I'm not into watches at all, but that is one kickass watch!
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL.   My Wal-Mart plastic Armitron is so old all the "stainless steel" paint wore off a long time ago and the funky gray plastic underneath is showing everywhere.  It shows the digital time, the date, the day of the week, and AM or PM.  That's what I want in a watch, nothing more, nothing less, and so what if it's $25-$30 if it lasts 10-15 years.

I had a friend take off his Rolex to wash his hands and walked out of the rest room without it.  He remembered it 20 feet from the door and went back for it.  It was already gone.  That's just one of many reasons I don't want to worry over a high dollar watch.  My plastic watches get so scratched up at work that they're hard to read sometimes, but I don't worry about them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Big watches, little peckers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm fascinated by just about anything mechanical.  How the parts fit precisely together, how they work in concert, etc.

Automatic watches just interest me.  I have a budding collection of them.  Whether or not they're pleasing to the eye is a bonus.

Doubt this makes me ghey as it's the same fascination that probably got me initially involved in firearms.

Eta: I don't necessarily perceive nice watches as a status symbol although some of the better movements are found in more expensive watches.  

I've got some pretty expensive knives as well...does that make me gay/metorsexual?

Just so you know I don't think having or colecting watches is gay, or makes one gay. It's just something I don't get.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I do appreciate a nice watch.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Big watches guns, little peckers.

Big watches trucks, little peckers.

Big watches boats, little peckers.

Fun game to play...  

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Simple.....

Would you rather have a Hk or a Larcin?

Would you rather have Rolex or a Timex?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun game to play...  

I've never understood this mentality.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I have seen some bad ass watches here, i need to get a job so i can buy a god damned watch.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I lost my old Seiko analog last Thanksgiving and I've been without a watch for too long.  Today I remembered that I still had a $25 REI Gift Card so I went to the REI-outlet website and bought this watch for about $50:

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I lost my old Seiko analog last Thanksgiving and I've been without a watch for too long.  Today I remembered that I still had a $25 REI Gift Card so I went to the REI-outlet website and bought this watch for about $50:

http://media.rei.com/media/tt/6f1eb979-fecf-4755-9d86-a5b9ef6772e5.jpg

I am a huge fan of blue-faced watches. My current Fossil is black stainless, with a blue face. Absolutely gorgeous contrast that color adds to both black and steel.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Check out the mechanicals of a nice automatic with multiple complications - it's basically a fully operational  piece of art. I also agree that it's the fascination with the engineering aspect, just like firearms and engines. I have ONE quartz watch (beater) - everything else is an automatic. Different watches for different reasons depending on the activity. Sometimes a Rolex is appropriate, sometimes it's not. If you really want a nice watch without breaking the bank, check out the Hamilton and Tissot automatics...
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Two is one, one is none  ––- wear three

Didn't you see I Am Legend?  Or the epic I Am Legend Tub pic thread?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Watches kick ass.  LIttle mechanical time keepers.  I really like the old type with the tiny gears..
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#37]

I get them from the Departments usually.  After I retired from LE, I did some free work for a buddy of mine that manufactured badges so I had contact with a lot of Departments.  Check out my tacked post in the BOTS forum for my daily badge postings.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#38]
While I in no way have a large collection, I do have a Hauer orange face from 1971 and a tag hauer F1 chronograph from 98. I bought the F1 new and traded some car parts for the orange face. Not sure why I love them(watches), just like I'm not sure why I have 140+ 30round mags. I just do.

Next up the new Steve mcqueen Monaco limited edition they made for his 75th birthday.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#39]
i would like to have a nice watch, i just can't afford one.

to whomever said big watch, big truck, big gun = little pennis. i don't own any of those and still have a little pennis
thats just my luck though, i could stick my head in a bucket of titties and come out sucking my thumb
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

i would like to have a nice watch, i just can't afford one.

to whomever said big watch, big truck, big gun = little pennis. i don't own any of those and still have a little pennis

thats just my luck though, i could stick my head in a bucket of titties and come out sucking my thumb

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got quite a few. It's the only jewelry I wear, but yet, it's functional.

I like them and buy one on most every big  trip I go on as a souvenier.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That is a really sharp looking watch. Why not live a little and wear it once in a while?  That watch is just a lonely safe queen right now!
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a really sharp looking watch. Why not live a little and wear it once in a while?  That watch is just a lonely safe queen right now!

I don't like heavy watches, they feel uncomfortable and I never wear metal bands. I don't wear jewelry at all. I do wear this watch on occasion but it's not as comfortable as my Casio. The only information I need is the local time and day/date.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

While I in no way have a large collection, I do have a Hauer orange face from 1971 and a tag hauer F1 chronograph from 98. I bought the F1 new and traded some car parts for the orange face. Not sure why I love them(watches), just like I'm not sure why I have 140+ 30round mags. I just do.

Next up the new Steve mcqueen Monaco limited edition they made for his 75th birthday.

http://www.mcqueenonline.com/tagheuermonacovintagelimitededitionb.jpg

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Same here...simple black rubber band and titanium body.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Same here...simple black rubber band and titanium body.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I see post on here once and a while about what watch do you have, and so on. I see many members have more than 1 watch, and some have what I would call watch collections. Don't get me wrong, if watches are your thing more power to you.

It just seems odd to me. I mean it's almost like a metro sexual deal or something, does my watch match my outfit? Am I wearing the correct watch for the time of day or activity I am involved in?????

I understand folks collect everything under the sun, but the fascination with watches seems weird to me. I can understand having a good watch to be worn when not working, as a sort of a status symbol I guess. That is if you work with your hands. If you have a cush job, a nice watch is all you would really need. If you need to do something a little rougher, take the 30K watch off for a short time.

I wear a Fossil, gold colored. I have inmates in the jail asking me all the time if it's a Rolex. LOL I call it my Folex, and I am amazed at how interested they are in my watch. I think it was a $150.00 watch I got when I worked in a jewellery store. I bought it because I got a good discount. I have worn it for 8 yrs now, and see it as having served it's purpose. letting me know what time it is when there is no clock on the wall.

Anyway it just seems strange to me so many men are fascinated with watches to the point of having more than one for utility.

I think I appreciate watches more than you, and I STILL don't have a watch that is worth that much!

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fun game to play...  

Big watches talk, little pecker!

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been fascinated by time and time keepers for as long as I can remember.  If I had the discretionary funds, it would all go towards watches
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top