Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an automatic Invicta. I'm an enginerd. It's impressive to me.

I also care how I dress.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
My Sub Date is my every day watch.  My GMT II is my travel watch.  My Patek is an investment.  The Patek has appreciated 15+ % in the last two years I have had it.  How are everyones investments doing these days?

I don't NEED 9 AR's and 7 pistols, but you know some things just happen.

I've found that condeming people based on what they buy and own tends to indicate something about a person.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

While I in no way have a large collection, I do have a Hauer orange face from 1971 and a tag hauer F1 chronograph from 98. I bought the F1 new and traded some car parts for the orange face. Not sure why I love them(watches), just like I'm not sure why I have 140+ 30round mags. I just do.

Next up the new Steve mcqueen Monaco limited edition they made for his 75th birthday.

http://www.mcqueenonline.com/tagheuermonacovintagelimitededitionb.jpg

What color face does your F1 have?  I've got one from circa 96 that's in yellow.  I've been thinking about picking up the newest model to add to the stable.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#4]
A watch makes a statement about who you are and what your values are.  To me, Rolexes are BS because they are like the proverbial Mercedes / I've made it crap.  There are lots of very good quality Swiss watches that show that you appreciate quality and style, but forgoe the flashy bullshit.  I have two Raymonw Weils (long story) and they are recognized by guys that know a decnt level of quality.

If you wear a cheap watch with your good duds, it's like wearing tennies with a tux.  Better to just leave it at home.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two G-Shocks. I'll wear one or the other, depending on what kind of mood I'm in (or whichever one I can find first when I'm running late for work
).

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Watches are like any other piece of equiptment.  There are many levels of function and quality.  It's no surprise to me that someone who appreciates a firearm would also appreciate a watch.  

That being said, it's the obsession with flashlights I don't get.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I see post on here once and a while about what watch do you have, and so on. I see many members have more than 1 watch, and some have what I would call watch collections. Don't get me wrong, if watches are your thing more power to you.

It just seems odd to me. I mean it's almost like a metro sexual deal or something, does my watch match my outfit? Am I wearing the correct watch for the time of day or activity I am involved in?????

I understand folks collect everything under the sun, but the fascination with watches seems weird to me. I can understand having a good watch to be worn when not working, as a sort of a status symbol I guess. That is if you work with your hands. If you have a cush job, a nice watch is all you would really need. If you need to do something a little rougher, take the 30K watch off for a short time.

I wear a Fossil, gold colored. I have inmates in the jail asking me all the time if it's a Rolex. LOL I call it my Folex, and I am amazed at how interested they are in my watch. I think it was a $150.00 watch I got when I worked in a jewellery store. I bought it because I got a good discount. I have worn it for 8 yrs now, and see it as having served it's purpose. letting me know what time it is when there is no clock on the wall.

Anyway it just seems strange to me so many men are fascinated with watches to the point of having more than one for utility.

I used to post regularly on a car forum and they're also posting pics of watches.  I don't find anything metro about it, but rather it's just a guy thing...like others have said...cars, bikes, sports, watches, knives.  Some people may find a certain oddness about our obsession about ]guns and every possible minutae, be it grips, rails, optics, lights, stocks, and so on.  It may be strange to some people.

I look at them as investments and for personal enjoyment.  My first nice watch I bought was just over $2K.  20 years later, I traded it in for $2.5K.  As for the personal enjoyment part, they simply bring a bit of sunshine to a sometimes difficult day.  Hell, if it were socially acceptable to walk around with my AR slung, I'd do it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Folks who like fine guns typically like fine watches.

Pretty much

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That being said, it's the obsession with flashlights I don't get.

I should post a pic, but that might be hijacking
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Everybody needs a hobby.

as for watches, I hadn't worn one for 10~12 years.

Then a couple years ago, my Mom got me a Timex Indiglo for Christmas(she's a serious HSN addict
) and I've been wearing that 4~5 days a week since. Seems to work, but I did have to change the battery once.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I dont post pictures of watches because anytime someone mentions a Rolex 20 guys who dont have one jump in with shithouse horologist opinions then tell me Im dumb for not buying a g-shock.

no date sub on a strap
2005 model GMT II red/blue
a few invictas
a seiko EA6-B
traser P6500
and yes....a g-shock.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I see post on here once and a while about what watch do you have, and so on. I see many members have more than 1 watch, and some have what I would call watch collections. Don't get me wrong, if watches are your thing more power to you.

It just seems odd to me. I mean it's almost like a metro sexual deal or something, does my watch match my outfit? Am I wearing the correct watch for the time of day or activity I am involved in?????

I understand folks collect everything under the sun, but the fascination with watches seems weird to me. I can understand having a good watch to be worn when not working, as a sort of a status symbol I guess. That is if you work with your hands. If you have a cush job, a nice watch is all you would really need. If you need to do something a little rougher, take the 30K watch off for a short time.

I wear a Fossil, gold colored. I have inmates in the jail asking me all the time if it's a Rolex. LOL I call it my Folex, and I am amazed at how interested they are in my watch. I think it was a $150.00 watch I got when I worked in a jewellery store. I bought it because I got a good discount. I have worn it for 8 yrs now, and see it as having served it's purpose. letting me know what time it is when there is no clock on the wall.

Anyway it just seems strange to me so many men are fascinated with watches to the point of having more than one for utility.

I think I appreciate watches more than you, and I STILL don't have a watch that is worth that much!

I paid $125.00 and my parents split that price with meso it cost me like $62.00

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:31:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My Sub Date is my every day watch.  My GMT II is my travel watch.  My Patek is an investment.  The Patek has appreciated 15+ % in the last two years I have had it.  How are everyones investments doing these days?

I don't NEED 9 AR's and 7 pistols, but you know some things just happen.

I've found that condeming people based on what they buy and own tends to indicate something about a person.

Again I'm not condemning anyone for liking watches. It's something I just don't get. If it were knives or pistols or rifles, then yeah, I get it, because that is me, and I understand me a bit better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:33:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
While I in no way have a large collection, I do have a Hauer orange face from 1971 and a tag hauer F1 chronograph from 98. I bought the F1 new and traded some car parts for the orange face. Not sure why I love them(watches), just like I'm not sure why I have 140+ 30round mags. I just do.

Next up the new Steve mcqueen Monaco limited edition they made for his 75th birthday.
http://www.mcqueenonline.com/tagheuermonacovintagelimitededitionb.jpg

What color face does your F1 have?  I've got one from circa 96 that's in yellow.  I've been thinking about picking up the newest model to add to the stable.

Every thing you wear or hace says something about you. Ask Sherlock Holmes.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:35:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Folks who like fine guns typically like fine watches.

I carry a XD and wear no watch. I think you might be on to something.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:35:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I love watches. They're just beautiful to me.  I can't really explain why.... I feel a little  naked if I dont' leave the house without my watch.

I feel the same way about an engine, and a firearm, and a plane... etc.

ETA: this will be my next watch. I am big fan of Diesel and Fossil watches.

http://s7ondemand7.scene7.com/is/image/FossilPartners/FS4159_main?$fossil_pdpdetail$

I like the looks of that. Too bad I will never buy another fossil watch as long as I live.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#18]

I could understand a pic of a custom knife and a good pistol , but a watch and a pistol? Is all about how accurate it is time wise when you shoot someone?????

Hello 911, there was a shooting at 0332.0125 according to my fancy watch. I wasn't there at 0331 Mr. District Att. so I couldn't have been the shooter.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Had a really bad fake Rolex once...first time wearing to a club I got laid...maybe the watch helped but possibly the $100. for her services?   I keed, I keed        

BTW, I love watches as well...maybe 8 or so in my collection....5 Gators...1 Beatles...2 Seiko (including a G-Shock...started wearing Seikos when living overseas as a dependent and all the Marines in our little base wore 'em)...1 Tommy Bahama.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:29:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a Timex..................
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:34:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I just remembered!  I'm one of the cool guys!  I'm a watch collector, too!

I have the Tricky Dick "I'm Not A Crook" watch!  The shifty eyes move back and forth every second!

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I appreciate watches more than you, and I STILL don't have a watch that is worth that much!

I paid $125.00 and my parents split that price with meso it cost me like $62.00

Whatever you paid for a Fossil was too much.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:40:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I haven't worn a watch since I bought a cell phone many years back. Much more handy.

A cell phone wont help you in a fight with an insurgent who tries to bite the inner part of your wrist.

Haha, I recall reading an article on here where a guy got saved from that by his watch.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I suppose I'm making up for a small manhood.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I actually dig the watch and guns pictures.  I don't have the means to own thousand dollar watches, smoke $30 cigars or drink $100/bottle scotch or own a $2,000 1911, but I do admiring those who do.

ETA I have a $180 Fossil, but never wear it and rely on my cell phone clock.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm fascinated by just about anything mechanical.

No suprised that people who are into firearms also like things like a good watch, automatic knives, cars, motorcycles. Nothing metro about it.

This.  I like nice things.  Have nice wine collection, brew my own beer, make my own sausage, roast own coffee, cook pretty well, love nice guns, why not watches?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Absolutely love watches. I collected old Longines for awhile. Ebay has a huge watch collection. I think it is the mechanics of the watched that I like. I wear  Citizen Chronograph, but it is quartz. While I like the watch it is not really a watch to me since it is not mechanical

Someday I will have a Rolex President, just have to make more money
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:34:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Rolex is the only thing that will hold up to a 50

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Appreciate the action and function of watches just not so much watches themselves.

It's now redundant for me. At work I'm surrounded by clocks, I have a phone that tells me time, my workstation has the time very visible, and time is a big factor in everything we do so it's discussed alot.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:47:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I could understand a pic of a custom knife and a good pistol , but a watch and a pistol? Is all about how accurate it is time wise when you shoot someone?????

Hello 911, there was a shooting at 0332.0125 according to my fancy watch. I wasn't there at 0331 Mr. District Att. so I couldn't have been the shooter.

A custom knife is ok?  I've got a couple custom folders that were roughly $500 a piece.  Small potatoes compared to some of the folders out there.

That being said, there are many people who would scoff at the thought of paying more than $20 for a pocket knife.  "I mean, it's only a sharp piece of steel, a hinge, and metal handles".

If you can understand high-dollar custom knives, I don't see why the same logic can't apply to watches.

My pics suck (some are from a camera phone) and I don't make a habit of taking pictures of my stuff.  Here are few knives from the collection...

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one watch, and the only time I take it off is when I take a shower.

It is a Citizen Eco-Drive watch, the face has held up extremely well for rarely taking it off.

+1 on everything he said, including the Eco-Drive.  

Hah, +2 while we're at it
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:08:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Seiko Diver
Rolex Sub Date
Rolex GMT II (blue+red)
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:10:25 AM EDT
[#36]
its a piece of mechanical functional jewlery.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#37]
FTW

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Big watches, little peckers.
Same can be said with guns and trucks as well.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a dude you really shouldn't care if your watch matches your outfit... but you should have at least one watch:   A casio G-shock

had one.  it failed spectacularly on a single track X-country trail at Big South Fork in East TN.

Haven't purchased one since.

Asshole, it was your destiny to receive the only one to ever fail and figure the fuck out "why" after you buy another.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Movado Sport SE
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a Citizen Eco-Drive watch, the face has held up extremely well for rarely taking it off.

+1 on everything he said, including the Eco-Drive.  

After 9 hard years, my Eco-Drive quit keeping time. I did that about 5 years ago, and I sent it in and they fixed it.  My exwife gave me that watch, and I'm just going to retire it to the sock drawer, and get another. I loved the watch, but hated that bitch. Kinda glad the watch broke.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a dude you really shouldn't care if your watch matches your outfit... but you should have at least one watch:   A casio G-shock

had one.  it failed spectacularly on a single track X-country trail at Big South Fork in East TN.

Haven't purchased one since.

Asshole, it was your destiny to receive the only one to ever fail and figure the fuck out "why" after you buy another.  

Understood.  I too thought it was the indestructable watch.  I guess after seeing my dreams shattered (literally) I couldn't bear the thought of trying it agian.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#43]
I agree it is not a metro thing. Like others have said that they are
finely made instruments and I like them.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Given the expense of gun collecting (and AR collecting specifically), it is not unreasonable to find such individuals collect other high-end items.
I only have one watch, but its solid titanium (Casio Pathfinder).

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Watch this and you'll understand.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGHHOZiFpMY

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why take it off for a shower?

The only time mine comes off is when I'm running.

Mine's got the leather band, so.......

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok, I watched the video above. Pretty impressive. I liked the pics of the custom knives and pistols, very cool. The amount of work for a custom knife can't even come close to the work for a decent watch, but if SHTF I would rather have one good knife than a 1 good watch. Of course if you have the means I don't see why "get both" would be a problem.

I understand that watches are mechanical marvels. My grandpa who got knocked down never to get up again without crutches during the big polio epidemic, was a watch repairman, and operated out of an in house shop. I remember watching him work on busted watches, and the tiny parts and special lenses he wore on his glasses while he worked.

I understand watches just do it for some folks. I like watches, but for me they will always just be for utility purposes. I mean if I won a multi million dollar lottery, I won't start a watch collection. I will just buy a watch I can wear and use for the rest of my life, that I can pass on to my son when I'm gone. That's what I expect of my knives, and guns to be. Something that the next few generations can use.

I did read some of the post  in the watch thread here, and lots of the other watch threads here, and I read lots of this is my watch for work, this is my watch for dress, this is my watch for this occasion, this is my watch for that occasion, and that is why I made the seems metro to me comment.

I got to admit though, I carry my prettiest folding knife in case I end up having to use it to save my life, and I use a decent but much cheaper knife to do utility stuff, like cut a water moccison's head off, or trim threads, or what ever I need to cut.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love watches. They're just beautiful to me.  I can't really explain why.... I feel a little  naked if I dont' leave the house without my watch.

I feel the same way about an engine, and a firearm, and a plane... etc.

ETA: this will be my next watch. I am big fan of Diesel and Fossil watches.

http://s7ondemand7.scene7.com/is/image/FossilPartners/FS4159_main?$fossil_pdpdetail$

Hmmm...I'm not a big fossil watch fan, but that's kinda sharp looking.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Big watches, little peckers.

Big watches guns, little peckers.

Big watches trucks, little peckers.

Big watches boats, little peckers.

Fun game to play...  

I've never understood this mentality.

The mexicans around here tend to be about 5ft5 tall and drive huge red pick ups.

Go figure....
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Chicks pay more attention to guys wearing expensive watches.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top