Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:21:06 PM EDT
This

I've been rockin' a flipped flag on one of my jackets for a while; getting sneers and "wtf" faces but once in a while I'll come across someone who agrees with me. We are in distress.

It doesn't matter what people "think" it means because they're wrong. The local PD over-stepped their bounds on this one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
"It is pretty bad when I go and fight a tyrannical government somewhere else," Congine said, "and then I come home to find it right here at my front door."

The fight thats coming is going to be an ugly one.......
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny.....Muslims and left wingers can burn it on the streets of the US, and their "rights" are protected, yet someone wants to express their concern over the country's direction, a "right" of their own, and the cops step in.  An upside down flag is not a destroyed flag.
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Funny.....Muslims and left wingers can burn it on the streets of the US, and their "rights" are protected, yet someone wants to express their concern over the country's direction, a "right" of their own, and the cops step in.  An upside down flag is not a destroyed flag.

That about sums up my thoughts on this.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
pics of jacket or BS
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
People misunderstand what the upside down flag means. They think it's an insult not a symbol of distress. However the use of it as a statement is flat out wrong. The upside down flag is like an SOS or an EPIRB signal. It is a signal of IMMEDIATE danger, not displeasure at the direction of the country.

STOP USING THE FLAG IMPROPERLY!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
People misunderstand what the upside down flag means. They think it's an insult not a symbol of distress. However the use of it as a statement is flat out wrong. The upside down flag is like an SOS or an EPIRB signal. It is a signal of IMMEDIATE danger, not displeasure at the direction of the country.

This and also cuz the first time I saw this shit was with some lib fucktards using it back during the Bush administration.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This and also cuz the first time I saw this shit was with some lib fucktards using it back during the Bush administration.

That and (one example) the Pala Indian Reservation in San Diego County.  

If you are going to be an attention whore, at least be a respectful one.  Leave the National Ensign alone.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

pics of jacket or BS

Let's see if he feels strongly enough about it to show it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are going to be an attention whore, at least be a respectful one.  Leave the National Ensign alone.

I'm a little disappointed that you fellas dont see the danger. Big government is taking over and the sheep, assaged by reality TV and fast food, are handing over their freedoms with each new terror alert. Society is tolerating and comprimising themselves into a prison cell and they don't see it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a little disappointed that you fellas dont see the danger. Big government is taking over and the sheep, assaged by reality TV and fast food, are handing over their freedoms with each new terror alert. Society is tolerating and compriomising themselves into a prison cell and they don't see it.

Sadly, I agree.  We are compromising our liberties and most folks don't see it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I think flying the flag upside down for political reasons is bullshit. If you're unhappy with the way the government is being run, fly a Gadsden or something. But don't mess with the flag unless you're in immediate danger, which is the act's purpose. Of course, if you're an attention whore, go right ahead

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Hours before a Fourth of July parade, four police officers went to
Congine's property and removed the flag under the advice of Marinette
County District Attorney Allen Brey.

Like robots, they just follow orders without thinking.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#14]
And some hippie a holes can go and burn a flag and they do nothing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a little disappointed that you fellas dont see the danger. Big government is taking over and the sheep, assaged by reality TV and fast food, are handing over their freedoms with each new terror alert. Society is tolerating and comprimising themselves into a prison cell and they don't see it.

Suppressing free speech is unconstitutional but get a Gadsden or Gonzales flag if you want to make a political statement.  Politicizing the flag is disrespectful.  The treatment of the flag by certain groups and individuals during the Bush administration pissed me off to no end.  I'm not going to change my opinion now.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I've always understood that the act of flying the flag upside-down meant immediate danger/ stay away/  need help, or something of an EXTREME nature.
Never thought it was meant to make a political statement, as that would be dishonorable.

Find a different and more appropriate way to 'flag' your displeasure without insulting our nation's flag.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Y'all keep throwing "attention whore" out there like calling attention isn't a flag's purpose. Niel Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, attention whores. Marines and a Navy medic on Iwo Jima, attention whores. Rocket's Red Glare, attention whores.

All I've got is a little green and black patch on my arm and if that makes me an attention whore, fine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've always understood that the act of flying the flag upside-down meant immediate danger/ stay away/  need help, or something of an EXTREME nature.
Never thought it was meant to make a political statement, as that would be dishonorable.

Find a different and more appropriate way to 'flag' your displeasure without insulting our nation's flag.

Just because you don't feel it's EXTREME enough doesn't mean I feel the same way.

I still don't understand this "political statement" stuff. I'm not running for office or doing it for any political party. It's inverted because I see the country in danger.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Just put Fuck Obama on your jacket.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This

I've been rockin' a flipped flag on one of my jackets for a while; getting sneers and "wtf" faces but once in a while I'll come across someone who agrees with me. We are in distress.

It doesn't matter what people "think" it means because they're wrong. The local PD over-stepped their bounds on this one.

You will find that many people have the same reaction to your flag protest as a flag burning, stepping on the flag, etc...

It is going to be seen as somewhere between improper and anti-American by those who do not think like you.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm sober, so I'm not in the mood for an internet fight.
You have a low post count and are coming in arguing, which might get things off on the wrong foot...just sayin'.
So, I won't argue back with you, and I'll try to be nice to the new guys, OK?

I understand the depth of your discontentment with what is going on in our beloved USA, but to display the flag such as you are is disrespectful.
Not only to those that are defending it, but to those that have died for it.

Just do a Google search on how to display the flag properly, and read what it says.
You're welcome to come back and share what you learn, no harm, no foul.
This is a pretty good group on this forum and very accepting of new members if they don't come in looking for a fight or acting like a troll.
I'm not insulting you, merely pointing out a couple of things.
I've fucked up royally here on more than one occasion, and I've known it, too...!   Been told, even!  

Come on back after you look it up.  The best part about that is it helps not only you, but will assist others in knowing the facts.
Alright?  Good.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This

So are you periodically stepping outside and screaming "help' too? Yelling 'mayday' into the radio? Launching flares? I mean after all, we're in distress, right?

Go buy a Gadsden flag.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#23]
""It is illegal to cause a disruption," he said."

Which, of course, is exactly what the JBTs did by taking the guy's flag down.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Y'all keep throwing "attention whore" out there like calling attention isn't a flag's purpose. Niel Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, attention whores. Marines and a Navy medic on Iwo Jima, attention whores. Rocket's Red Glare, attention whores.

All I've got is a little green and black patch on my arm and if that makes me an attention whore, fine.

Question:  What does "proper decorum" mean to you?

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I don't think you have the balls to post that in the Hall of Heros forum.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You have a low post count and are coming in arguing, which might get things off on the wrong foot...just sayin'.

I understand the depth of your discontentment with what is going on in our beloved USA, but to display the flag such as you are is disrespectful.

Just do a Google search on how to display the flag properly, and read what it says.
This is a pretty good group on this forum and very accepting of new members if they don't come in looking for a fight or acting like a troll.
I've fucked up royally here on more than one occasion, and I've known it, too...!   Been told, even!  

Come on back after you look it up.  The best part about that is it helps not only you, but will assist others in knowing the facts.
Alright?  Good.

I know this guy personally, he's gtg. Definitely not a troll bub.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think you have the balls to post that in the Hall of Heros forum.

That would be trolling. If anything, he's entitled to post in that forum just as much as any other service member.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Alright?  Good.

Post count is irrelevent to this topic and you only brought it up because having 8,500+ post to my 230 makes it seem like your opinion actually means something.

Displaying the flag inverted is NOT disrespectful. If you're offended, tough shit. Try and take it from me.

I did not post this to fight with anyone but have since been put on the defensive due to people like you pushing your opinion.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#29]
WTF?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#30]
So much for trying to be a nice guy...
You just keep right on doin' what you're doin' then.
Congratulations on earning my first use of the IGNORE feature.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:08:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So much for trying to be a nice guy...
You just keep right on doin' what you're doin' then.
Congratulations on earning my first use of the IGNORE feature.

Hey everybody, this guy ignored me! What ever will I do!

I can feel it getting colder here. The suns rays aren't providing the same warmth. Colors seem to be flat and everything is out of focus. I feel sick, like something is missing from my insides.

Whoa is me.

Come back BusMaster007, you are my everything.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:09:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This

If you have to ask......

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:40:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, don't be a tard.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Mountains out of molehills. Easily offended people. Flying a flag that is falling apart- disrespect. Wearing the flag on clothing if it's not a patch on a uniform- I consider that disrespect. Burning the flag in the street- that's disrespect. Flying it upside down- distress message, not disrespect. After reading the other posts, I agree a Gadsden flag would've probably been a better idea. Still...Maybe Congine can recoup some of his $200,000 from the village of Crivitz when he rightfully sues the county's prosecutor.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#35]
City Attorney screwed up - doesn't know sh!t from the Constitution.

Cops screwed up - had no right to take the guys flag.  (See above)

Businessman screwed up - inappropriately flew the flag.

Sounds to me like they all share the blame for the clusterf-ck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Free speech is a Hell of a drug...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Flying the flag upside down signals to others that you are in great distress, and in need of immediate assistance.  You.  NOT the country.

If I see someone flying the flag upside down, I might just help them out by calling the police for them.

Proper flag etiquette.

Learn it.  And stop politicizing our flag.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#38]
While flying the flag upside down to protest over a liquor license dispute is both stupid and disrespectful, I can't help but be amazed by how many people are so eager to elevate the symbol to a higher level of importance than what it symbolizes.  My father didn't storm Omaha Beach, kill Nazis and watch a bunch of his buddies die in order to protect a piece of cloth.  He did it to protect a way of life that the piece of cloth represents.  Trying to quash someone's Constitutional rights in order to placate some people's delicate sensibilities about the flag is the height of hypocritical point-missing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top