Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2002 6:44:08 PM EDT
[size=6]BRAVO TWO ZERO[/size=6]

Thats right damnit! It made it to the States on video. I saw it at Hollywood Video. So...
WHY THE HELL ARE YOU STILL READING THIS POST AND NOT RENTING IT????????
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of it. What is it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The story of a British SAS patrol sent into Iraq in Desert Storm to disrupt communications and assist in Scud surveilance.

Needless to say, all went wrong, and the unit set out on foot to try and get out of Iraq.

Excellent book (by Andy McNabb, a member of the of the SAS unit), and a worthy read.  I'll keep an eye out for the film.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny you should post this.  I was also at the video store today and almost passed it.  Caught it out the corner of my eye.  Just got finished watching it.  It was pretty good, I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
My DVD copy came in from Amazon right before Christmas.

Not a bad movie. Pretty decent firefights for a made-for-TV affair. The British accents were sometimes hard to decipher. Sometimes I felt like I needed subtitles, like they had in "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels."
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I take it that it is based on true events?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Soldier of Fiction accredited this event to the Army's Delta Force or something like that if I remember right.

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Saw it a few weeks ago. Two barrels up.
I have a couple of thoughts and would like to hear yours.

1) Mission failed because of *************. Lack of contingency planning or whatever, it shouldn't have happened that way.

2) Oh sh*t what do we about the ***!?
Would you have done the same? Explain.

Trying not to be a spoiler since I can't warn you. If you saw it, you know.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I was very excited to see it in my local video store day before yesterday - watched it twice - highly recomended.

Tate
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I was very excited to see it in my local video store day before yesterday - watched it twice - highly recomended.

Tate
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#11]
my rental copy is sitting on the VCR right now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had the DVD for months. I have a hacked APEX player that has the region code and region Code enhancement defeated, so I can play Brit DVDs no-problemo (or [u]ANY[/u] DVD). I also have the Macrovision defeated so I can make VHS copies. In fact, that's how I got the DVD - an AR15.com'er who had it but could not view it gave it to me in return for making him a VHS copy.

Get an APEX and hack it. I'll tell ya how. The APEX 500W is only $89 at wally world and I have hacked DOZENS. Guess what a lot of my folks and friends got for Christmas? Even the ones .....
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Matt:

So are you saying that if I get a DVD of this movie I won't be able to play it in my new Sony DVD player?

Are DVD's of this even available?  Who would you all recommend going to for cheap online DVD purchases?

Thanks,

Corey
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#14]
The Region 1 (US DVD compatible) version is now available. It was released in December. I got mine from Amazon.com.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Matt, my Apex AD-500W won't read any DVDs that I put in it. It just says No Disc. Do you know how to fix this. If not, I'll take it back to Wal-Mart and hack the new one. THat's if I can get them to do an exchange.

Quoted:
I've had the DVD for months. I have a hacked APEX player that has the region code and region Code enhancement defeated, so I can play Brit DVDs no-problemo (or [u]ANY[/u] DVD). I also have the Macrovision defeated so I can make VHS copies. In fact, that's how I got the DVD - an AR15.com'er who had it but could not view it gave it to me in return for making him a VHS copy.

Get an APEX and hack it. I'll tell ya how. The APEX 500W is only $89 at wally world and I have hacked DOZENS. Guess what a lot of my folks and friends got for Christmas? Even the ones .....
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I take it that it is based on true events?
View Quote

Yep, they tried to walk out.  All but one was captured.  The one who escaped walked something like 200 miles to Syria to escape.  

Very good book, recommended highly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#17]
As already explained, The DVD is out in the States now, whereas before only the Brit release was available. I've had mine for a long time, and made copies for other AR15.com buds. [:D] You don't need a hacked player to view it now (you do if you want to make VHS copies, for, ahem, your own purposes), if you buy it at Amazon or wherever in the US.

Often, DVDs are released earlier in other regions (B2Z was a BBC produced film made for Brit release), or available only in other countries, or, you may want the original uncut version instead of the MPAA edited stateside version (an X rating in the States by the MPAA is a death blow to any movie, so often cuts are made to satisfy the prudish bastard censors in our otherwise mostly free country). "Eyes Wide Shut" for example (ps it still sucks even uncut), the orgy scenes were cut a lot for stateside release. You can order DVDs from other regions, but unless you have a hacked player you can't view them.

Corey: your Sony will play stateside DVDs just fine. It will not play discs from other regions. You may or may not give a rat's ass about that. Your Sony has macrovision, which will NOT record on a VHS so you can't make tape copies (and again you may not GARA).

CC48510: The APEXes are cheap chinese crap and you got a bad one. Take it back for an exchange. The hack involves installing new hacked firmware by swapping a chip - it won't fix a non-working DVD. They are cheaply made, but don't cost much, and this is also why they are easy to hack. When you get a good one, they seem to last. I have a bunch in the lab at work that run 24/7 and they don't break down, but some were bad out-of-the-box and had to go back for return. The hack is easy - you just swap out the EPROM chip (which is in a socket so no soldering or special skills are needed). Also, the main video processor chip and video DAC chip are not heat-sinked and run real hot. I install the self-sticking type heat sinks on all mine and that keeps them from crapping out.

The hack info can be readily found on the net if you know how to use a search engine. I CAN NOT send you code or chips, I could lose my job, but I will be glad to offer any advice. The info has been collected in several places and is widely known, as well as there are lots of folks who sell hacked chips and firmware. I recommend downloading the files, buying your own EPROM/EEPROM/FLASH memory chips, and getting a friend who is technically savvy to program them for you on his EPROM burner at work. You can get blank chips from a ton of vendors like [url]www.digi-key.com[/url]. Check out & read the forums at [url]http://www.dvd-wizards.com/darrenk/[/url], I think you can download the firmware there. You can get me off line via email at joeloftus*kmaspam*@mindspring.com if you get stuck. Be sure to fix the email addy before emailing (asterisks, hint, hint) 'cause I hate spam and all FREAKIN BASTARD SPAMMERS HAVE SLUT MOTHERS WHO LIVE ......
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
PS it helps if you know some Brit slang, cause the soundtrack is full of it, and also the audio quality ain't that great.

Tosser: a queer, turd-burglar, etc. Like some of you lot! [;D]
Brew: tea. What those tosser Brits drink instead of coffee like real men!
Fag: cigarette
Pissed: drunk (not angry)
Piss-up : party with lots of alcoholic beverages
Wanker: masturbator, jack-off, chicken-choker. Once again, like quite a few of you lot! [:D]

That's all for now. I'm off to bang your sisters .........
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

THAT WAS ME!!! [:)]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I've seen one or two new paperbacks by Andy McNab.  At first I was excited, like, hey, the cool guy who wrote Bravo Two Zero.  But then after reading the back of the book it seemed like more BS like that Rogue Warrior guy.

No insult to Andy.  I loved B2Z.  Anybody read those new books?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top