Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 10:54:25 AM EDT
This is unreal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?prov=ap&slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&type=lgns

MIAMI (AP)—Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth(notes) began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida, a punishment made possible by his cooperation with investigators and the fervent wish by the victim’s family to put the matter behind them.

Stallworth, 28, received the sentence after pleading guilty to a DUI manslaughter charge for striking and killing Mario Reyes while driving drunk March 14 in his black 2005 Bentley. The athlete also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family of the 59-year-old construction worker.

Without the plea deal, the DUI manslaughter conviction could have netted Stallworth 15 years in prison. After his release from jail, he must serve two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation. The house arrest provisions will allow him to resume his football career, his attorney said.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league is reviewing the matter for possible disciplinary action. Stallworth could face suspension without pay for some games this year.
ADVERTISEMENT

Leonard Little(notes) of the Rams pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter after he hit and killed a woman while driving drunk in 1998 and served an eight-game suspension, though the punishment was doled out when the league was a bit more lenient.

The Browns also said they were evaluating the situation, saying they were “very conscious of the seriousness of the charges” to which Stallworth pleaded guilty.

Stallworth’s attorney, Christopher Lyons, said the financial settlement was only one factor in the plea agreement. He noted that Stallworth stopped immediately after the accident, called 911 and submitted to roadside alcohol testing despite spending most of the night drinking at a swanky Miami Beach hotel.

“He acted like a man,” Lyons said. “He remained at the scene. He cooperated fully.”

Stallworth told Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy that he hopes to get involved in drunken driving education programs.

“I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy,” said Stallworth, who was accompanied at the hearing by his parents, siblings and other supporters. “I will bear this burden for the rest of my life.”

Stallworth also must undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver’s license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. Lyons said after five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving such as for employment.

Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle echoed Lyons in citing Stallworth’s lack of previous criminal record, cooperation and willingness to accept responsibility as factors in the plea deal. Rundle also said the Reyes family—particularly the victim’s 15-year-old daughter—wanted the case resolved to avoid any more pain.

“For all of these reasons, a just resolution of this case has been reached,” Rundle said.

None of the Reyes family attended the hearing. Their attorney, Rodolfo Suarez, read a statement saying the family wants to “bring closure to this emotional and tragic event.” Suarez did not respond to an email seeking comment.

After a night drinking at a bar in Miami Beach’s Fountainebleau hotel, police said Stallworth hit Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after finishing his shift around 7:15 a.m. Stallworth told police he flashed his lights in an attempt to warn Reyes, who was not in a crosswalk when he was struck.

Stallworth had a blood-alcohol level of .126 after the crash, well above Florida’s .08 limit. Stallworth stopped after the crash and immediately told officers he had hit Reyes. Police estimated Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40 mph zone.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured much of the year. The California native and University of Tennessee college star has also played in the NFL for New England, Philadelphia and New Orleans.

The night before the crash, Stallworth earned a $4.5 million roster bonus from the Browns.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow. I'm super surprised.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#2]
So the deceased's family gets bought off and "wants to put the issue behind them", nice.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So the deceased's family gets bought off and "wants to put the issue behind them", nice.

crime happened to their family. if they so chose to not have him locked up then thy should chose. As long as he learns his lesson right?

DUI moral superiority on arfcom is always so great.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Just goes to show the American Judicial system it's all about the money.........
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I suppose dead is dead and in similar circumstance I'd like to see my loved ones financially secure for life, but still....

Jane
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Darn, I was hoping for him to get a couple of years at least.  He was drunk and killed someone.  Oh, and he's a crappy receiver who shouldn't be making nearly the money he is.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#7]
$
$
$
$
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#8]
If the family is ok with it and the judge is ok with it, I have no issues.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#9]
There but for the grace of God go many of us as well I suspect

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#10]
a punishment made possible by his cooperation with investigators and the fervent wish by the victim’s family to put the matter behind them.

I dont see the problem if the family doesnt have a problem.

If a drunk killed a family member of mine I dont know how I would react if they took full responsibility, apologized and I believed they were sincere.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I suppose dead is dead and in similar circumstance I'd like to see my loved ones financially secure for life, but still....

Jane

+1 - If I bought it at the hands of a drunk driver, I would want my family to seek money to replace the income they would lose as a result of my demise even if it meant the idiot got off too easy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the sentence has something to do with the fact that he was not "that drunk," he was not excessively speeding and the guy he hit was jaywalking across a highway in the dark.  In otherwords it was not so much caused by him being drunk and could have happened to anyone regardless of sobriety.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Saw an article yesterday where some guy got one-year sentence for RAPING A 4-YEAR OLD!

We have a sick judicial system.

HH
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Some attorneys I know are known to say, "Justice costs money –– how much justice can YOU afford?"

I don't go that far, but I HAVE told clients "Do you want to pay for justice, or do you want to pay to get this over with and get on with your life?  Because those are two different things."
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#15]
It's OK.. he's gotta be out in time for training camp.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#16]
"JACKPOT"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think the sentence has something to do with the fact that he was not "that drunk," he was not excessively speeding and the guy he hit was jaywalking across a highway in the dark.  In otherwords it was not so much caused by him being drunk and could have happened to anyone regardless of sobriety.  

Good point.  I love the mind readers here that claim to know that the accident was caused by alcohol.  Besides, the guy's intent wasn't to kill anyone.  That is another reason the sentence should be light in these sort of situations.z
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#18]
If it was me, a regular old joe, it would have been more like a minimum 10 years.  Look up similar cases, this is not on par punishment for the crime...and this goes on everyday and no one questions it.

Instead the media is concerned about obongos super fly killing skills.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Shit if that was in California he would get out in 3 days
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top