Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 6:50:56 AM EDT
I watch Ax men every chance I get and I noticed that the loggers all wear suspenders instead of belts.  Why?  I assume it's some kind of safety thing, but I would think that suspenders would be more likely to get caught in equipment than a belt would.  I also think you'd have a problem with channeling wood chips and debris down a shirt and into your pants if they weren't sealed up with a belt.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#1]
If you'll look closely you'll notice that most people who wear suspenders have a bit of a belly. I'd suspect most of the loggers you see wearing suspenders fall into this category.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Not really sure why, but in all reality a set of suspenders does work better than a belt. I grew up around Loggers, and it seemed that all of them wore suspenders. I am fairly certain that the Carhart "Logger" jean even has suspender buttons on them, maybe it is a traditional thing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
They are a lot more comfortable and do work better...I just can't bring myself to sport them, though I did when I was growing up. the 80's were suspender-friendly
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I wish I could wear a type of suspender with my duty belt.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought for sure the text of the OP was going to be "to hold their pants up!"

edit: beat.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Crack control.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#8]
My father grew up in the Pacific Northwest with lots of loggers. He said it was because in case of a snag, the suspenders would pull off the waistband of your pants, while a belt would pull you along. Similarly, the loggers would cut the bottom hem off their jeans and start a tear up the leg so if the cuff of your pants snagged, they'd just tear away rather than drag you off your feet. Oh, and "caulk" boots are pronounced "cork" boots. Dad said he didn't know they made chain saws with a bar less than three feet long until he moved to New York.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Many times they have weighted down pants.  Between the saw chaps, wedges, repair tools and water, they need something with more gusto to keep the pants held comfortably up.

It is also more of a west coast/NE thing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Because they sleep all night and they work all day.

And that's OK.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Many times they have weighted down pants.  Between the saw chaps, wedges, repair tools and water, they need something with more gusto to keep the pants held comfortably up.

It is also more of a west coast/NE thing.

of course you meant "big tree" thing
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:13:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a pair of these when I was a kid.  It must have been around 1980.  Damn, I was cool.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I logged two seasons and never wore them as I was only 18 and 19 yrs old. Jeans have a way of stretching out and a belt you still have to pull up. Comfort, Age, Gut, Gear.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#15]
It is easier to do leg lifts over blowdowns and slash wearing suspenders.

Also, it provides a handy place for you to display your flair.

Further, it is a sign that a man can appreciate the comic genius of Red Green.

Finally, when you get in to town after a long stint at camp you can get your pants off faster when you visit the house of ill repute.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had a pair of these when I was a kid.  It must have been around 1980.  Damn, I was cool.

http://www.foreignmego.com/plaid/hack.jpg

We need to take back the rainbow

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:26:20 AM EDT
[#17]
What's with guys wearing suspenders AND a belt?

Don't trust a man who doesn't trust his own pants.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.foreignmego.com/plaid/hack.jpg

I was too much of a loser to have rainbow suspenders. Mine were all solid colored.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Suspenders are easier on the back if you do a job that requires a lot of stooping, bending, and lifting.  A belt is just a handy thing to hang tools from and keep poorly fitted pants from falling down.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh, and I forgot to mention that in the woods you either wear Stihl or Husqvarna suspenders.

When one logger meets another displaying the rival colors you are required by Logging Right Of Passage Spec. 4332A to immediately begin brawling.

The fight is over when one man relinquishes his six sided chisel bit/round file to the victor.

Taking victory laps in the skiddah is considered to be gauche in many circles.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My father grew up in the Pacific Northwest with lots of loggers. He said it was because in case of a snag, the suspenders would pull off the waistband of your pants, while a belt would pull you along. Similarly, the loggers would cut the bottom hem off their jeans and start a tear up the leg so if the cuff of your pants snagged, they'd just tear away rather than drag you off your feet. Oh, and "caulk" boots are pronounced "cork" boots. Dad said he didn't know they made chain saws with a bar less than three feet long until he moved to New York.

YOUR DAD IS RIGHT ON ALL COUNTS.
I MIGHT ADD THAT LOOSE FITTING PANTS WITH SUSPENDERS ALLOWS GREATER FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT WHEN CLIMBING ON AND OVER , THROUGH AND AROUND, OR GENERALY DOING YOUR THING WHILE LOGGING.
......Axemen is a TV show ...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Because they sleep all night and they work all day.

And that's OK.

And wanting to be like their dear papa.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wish I could wear a type of suspender with my duty belt.

they make them
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's with guys wearing suspenders AND a belt?

Don't trust a man who doesn't trust his own pants.

Great movie.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top