Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#1]
He adheres to the principal that he isn't racist because he hates everyone the same.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but he did not let it cloud his heart or judgment.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Discuss

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]
He is just HARD.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah...calling someone "gooks" and "niggers" is definitely not racist.

Guess you didn't read the part about actions speaking louder than words.

Blah - that's a bullshit answer.

Would your wife be alright with you calling her "bitch", "ho", and "slut", so long as you bought her flowers and vacuumed the living room?

No, it's not bullshit.

My wife would rather I truly respect her than say "Yes, dear" and feign interest in doing chores.  

Did you SEE the post about his relationship with the barber?  Was it NOT clear that they had a close relationship that involved hateful words but genuine affection for one another?  Didn't you understand that?  Did you see the REAPEATED references in this thread to "actions speak louder than words?"

My wife KNOWS I love and respect her.  Many people say one thing but do another.   I would not call her names in front of others, and don't do so in private, but we tease each other, it doens't change how we feel.

Don't let the words he said cloud your thinking.  Did you see the part where he made the ultimate sacrifice for some of the saem people he had said terrible things about?

Which do you honestly think controls, his words or what he did?

ETA–– Leave it to an allegedly one dimensional typecast actor, black hat/ white hat guy to confuse you with a curveball shades of gray character, huh?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I knew a lot of guys like that, never thought anything of it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#7]
No he's not.

Though to those people who have sworn that he is I tell them that at least he's not a pussy like them who claims to not be a racist when really they cross the street when they see a hood rat or homeless guy.  Walt would have kept on walking and left them with a piece of his mind as he passed
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No he's not.

Though to those people who have sworn that he is I tell them that at least he's not a pussy like them who claims to not be a racist when really they cross the street when they see a hood rat or homeless guy.  Walt would have kept on walking and left them with a piece of his mind as he passed

This gets a +1 from me.

All of the people I know who TRULY think that there is a difference in ability or intelligence between peoples are dyed in the wool liberals.  They project thier thoghts onto everyone else, and think THAT's the reason we need affirnative action.    
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No he's not.

This gets a +1 from me.

All of the people I know who TRULY think that there is a difference in ability or intelligence between peoples are dyed in the wool liberals.  They project thier thoghts onto everyone else, and think THAT's the reason we need affirnative action.    

When people ask me if I'm a racist I just tell them I don't care if you're a <run off a list of deregatory racial group terms> but a shitbag is a shitbag regardless of the color of their skin.  So if that makes me a racist then I guess I'm an equal opportunity racist.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Judging by how he talked, he was racist. But he did become CLOSE friends with the Asians. He liked them more than his own family

I think it's funny people now use the "Get off my lawn" from the movie religiously. When kids and such always make fun of old people for telling them to stay off their lawn.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#11]
First, define "racist".
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Judging by how he talked, he was racist. But he did become CLOSE friends with the Asians. He liked them more than his own family

I think it's funny people now use the "Get off my lawn" from the movie religiously. When kids and such always make fun of old people for telling them to stay off their lawn.

I think that's the point.  He said one thing but did another, and he did the other all the way, ALL THE WAY.

He was no racist.  Certainly not by the end of the film.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that's the point.  He said one thing but did another, and he did the other all the way, ALL THE WAY.

Everybody is alittle "racist" whether they want to believe it or not. Such as if you are white and you get into an elevator filled with a bunch of black people. By nature, you are going to feel uncomfortable or out of place.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Everybody is alittle "racist" whether they want to believe it or not. Such as if you are white and you get into an elevator filled with a bunch of black people. By nature, you are going to feel uncomfortable or out of place.

I disagree with most statements that start with "Everyone," including this one.

I also disagree that the only explanation for being uncomfortable in your scenario is racism.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How do so many of you like this STUPID movie?

God, it was one of the worst films I have seen in a long, long time. How it got so many award nominations is beyond me.

All it consisted of was an awkward, racist old man being a dick to everyone before suddenly having a change of heart, taking the even-more awkward troubled youth under his wing, and then hashing it out with the most homosexual gang members I have ever seen on film...hell, the gang members from West Side Story made those guys in Gran Torino look like pussies.

Wow, the whole point of the film went right over your head, didn't it?

His relationship with his family?  With the priest?  His barber?

The boy?  His family?

The neighborhood?

His ultimate redemption - from the stairway "confessional" to his martyrdom?

Did the significance of that whole story arc really go over your head?  Are you that dense?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

God, it was one of the worst films I have seen in a long, long time. How it got so many award nominations is beyond me.

All it consisted of was an awkward, racist old man being a dick to everyone before suddenly having a change of heart, taking the even-more awkward troubled youth under his wing, and then hashing it out with the most homosexual gang members I have ever seen on film...hell, the gang members from West Side Story made those guys in Gran Torino look like pussies.

The boy?  His family?

The neighborhood?

Did the significance of that whole story arc really go over your head?  Are you that dense?

I'll field that one....

Yes.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
By today's standards he is considered a racist, but to me he just seemed like a grumpy old man.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Polacks, nips, slopes, gooks, jews, spooks, waps.....did he miss anybody?  Nope.

wop*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOP
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#19]
like the priest said in the eulogy,"Walt had no problem tellin it as he saw it". He was just  bitter old man that saw his old neighborhood change throughout the years from lilly white to different shades of color.

on a side note,I kinda gathered that he was a religous man before he went of to war. after he did what he did in the war,he felt a lot of guilt.

Did anyone get the same message?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I think Walt hated everyone equally.

Just like that classic line in "Dirty Harry".

Or Pygmalion.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think that sums it up pretty well. (Though, I'd call him bigoted or prejudiced, not really "racist".)

Frankly, I find it a little tiresome when folks wax nostalgic about the "good old days".

They weren't always so good, and Walt was a great character study in that respect.

Lord knows, their are a lot of "old school" attitudes and behaviors that we shouldn't have let go. But, some things... some things really needed to be left behind.

Walt, at least IMO, embodied everything about the past, good and bad.

Nothing in this life, no person, no era, is/was perfect.

I guess that's why I liked the character so much... because he wasn't perfect.

He was real.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Polacks, nips, slopes, gooks, jews, spooks, waps.....did he miss anybody?  Nope.

Zipperheads.  They always forget the zipperheads....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No, he's just an asshole.

I hope to be like him when I grow up.

I'm already a grumpy fuck and I'm only 26
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I've been that guy since I was 30

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The boy?  His family?

The neighborhood?

I'll field that one....

Yes.

+1  And par for the course, frankly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

on a side note,I kinda gathered that he was a religous man before he went of to war. after he did what he did in the war,he felt a lot of guilt.

Did anyone get the same message?

I thought he lost his way briefly when his wife died, his early comments to the priest were pretty bitter, he was mad they both lived good Catholic lives, then she died a horrible death, despite all the prayers.

He came back, though, he was praying inthe final scene.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#27]

When did you're avatar begin plotting?

I like it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been that guy since I was 30

Since 16 for me.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that sums it up pretty well. (Though, I'd call him bigoted or prejudiced, not really "racist".)

Frankly, I find it a little tiresome when folks wax nostalgic about the "good old days".

They weren't always so good, and Walt was a great character study in that respect.

Lord knows, their are a lot of "old school" attitudes and behaviors that we shouldn't have let go. But, some things... some things really needed to be left behind.

Walt, at least IMO, embodied everything about the past, good and bad.

Nothing in this life, no person, no era, is/was perfect.

I guess that's why I liked the character so much... because he wasn't perfect.

He was real.

Yea. I know Walt, or should say I know a lot of people like Walt, same attitude, same bigoted language but even so good people that when the chips are down do what is right.

As for the good old days I would love to be able to flip a switch and return to many of the aspects of the 1960s life in a lot of ways the world was a better place to live, but not for everyone and people need to realize this fact, it was not all good.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Nope. Just not as damn sensitive and PC as we are nowadays.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think Walt hated everyone equally.

This ^^

He called his barber a "wop prick Italian". He called the construction supervisor a "mick". They were both white too. In his will he said "don't paint flames on my car like some redneck hillbilly"

He was just a grumpy old bastard who had a derogatory term for everyone he met, regardless of their race.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Nope!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd call Walt "Non-PC" or a MAN. You know a man, before you had to worry about everything you said may hurt someone's feelings.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Discuss

Are you bored?

Prejudiced?  Perhaps.

Bigoted?  Eh, not really as he recognized that the young girl was a really good person and her family were good people as well.  A bigot would never admit that his or her prejudices were wrong.  (Dictionary.com).

Racist?  Where the hell did you get that idea?  I don't recall him touting Caucasians as superior to other races in that movie.  Were we watching the same movie?

John

thank you
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top