Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 12:27:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow look at one of the replies

Formed 1755? No Sir - The British Royal Marines were formed on the 28th Oct 1664 (
)as the The of Yorks Maritime Regt of Foot. The 1755 date refers to the formation of the 50 Companies of Marines formed into the three grand divisions, Chatham, Portsmouth & Plymouth.

If formed in 1755 how come their honours include "Gibraltar" which they captured in 1702.

Ex-RM and proud of it

http://georgian-victorian-britain.suite101.com/article.cfm/royal_marines#ixzz0IfwhOpCC&D

When i am not so tired I will read into their history.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:00:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wow look at one of the replies

Formed 1755? No Sir - The British Royal Marines were formed on the 28th Oct 1664 ()as the The of Yorks Maritime Regt of Foot. The 1755 date refers to the formation of the 50 Companies of Marines formed into the three grand divisions, Chatham, Portsmouth & Plymouth.
If formed in 1755 how come their honours include "Gibraltar" which they captured in 1702.

Ex-RM and proud of it

http://georgian-victorian-britain.suite101.com/article.cfm/royal_marines#ixzz0IfwhOpCC&D

When i am not so tired I will read into their history.

He is correct. I knew the Royal Marines pre-dated the US Marines by over 100 years. The are some  misstatements in the original but I found the origins interesting. I am watching a show British ships of the line during that time. It sparked my interest. Much of it I knew but had forgotten over the years.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Double post

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Totally unrelated to the thread, but I just realized that your double tap didn't up your post count, kinda weird.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:07:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Totally unrelated to the thread, but I just realized that your double tap didn't up your post count, kinda weird.....

I noticed that too. Strange UPDATE. What is really weird is I don't have a post #503, which by chance is my area code. I just double checked it. I didn't have any other posts between #502 on this thread and #504 which is also on this thread. Doo doo doo doo doo doo

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top