Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 11:09:09 PM EDT
So, I've got a can of stuff called KAVA. I got it for free from a friend when I helped him move. KAVA is basically a plant that causes you to become relaxed and can aid you in sleeping and lowering anxiety. I've only had the stuff like twice because it's really nasty tasting.

Tonight I decided to try it again because I've not slept well in over a week. I was like what the hey, I'll try drinking it again.

After quickly chugging a hot tea cup full of KAVA. I went into almost INSTANT relaxation mode and everything is chill and cool with me right now.

With the first sip, one's tongue immediately feels numb. The mind and
the body then feel progressively relaxed but without feeling sleepy. A
sense of well-being follows. One's troubles seem to become a secondary type of
reality removed from a lackadaisical existence.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
lol?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
6 pack ell do the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

6 pack ell do the same thing.

Nope, this is a totally different experience from booze.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
...the hell is this 'tea' crap?

Kinda sounds like DRANK, but I don't remember my tongue going numb....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
i can't believe that if the stuff worked anywhere near as well as you've described that the government wouldn't already be regulating it.

are you sure your friend didn't add a little something, something?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i can't believe that if the stuff worked anywhere near as well as you've described that the government wouldn't already be regulating it.

It's banned in like the EU. It'll also destroy people's livers if they drink alcohol and pop kava pills.

But yeah, it works as well as I'm saying. I feel totally relaxed and disconnected from any misery or the sense that problems are in anyway adversarial.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's banned in like the EU. It'll also destroy people's livers if they drink alcohol and pop kava pills.

But yeah, it works as well as I'm saying. I feel totally relaxed and disconnected from any misery or the sense that problems are in anyway adversarial.

sooo.....I'm interested.  When you say "destroy" what does that mean?

Edit- Like scientifically and technically
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're gonna do kava it is best to do like the natives and get yourself a good supply of ground root and whip up a batch of homemade.

I've had it quite a few times and the buzz is very low-key and mellow. Its not something that you take a couple sips and go "whoa im fucked up!" It's more like drink a cup or three and slowly notice that shit just doesn't bother you too much anymore and everything is kind of chill.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Questionable products, you say? Go on....

Where would one buy a can of Kava?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is banned in some countries.
In the UK, the Medicines for Human Use (Kava-kava) (Prohibition) Order 2002 prohibits the sale, supply or import of most derivative medicinal products. Kava is banned in Switzerland, France, Germany and The Netherlands. The health agency of Canada issued a stop-sale order for kava in 2002. But legislation in 2004 made the legal status of kava murky to many, especially since not everyone is aware that a stop-sale order does not constitute a ban such as that applies in several European countries. Kava is neither illegal nor legally banned in Canada, nor is it regulated and it doesn't fall under any of the Food and Drugs Act & Regulations. Many retailers have been ignoring the no-sale order without further consequence than having Health Canada issue warnings about the product's safety. At least one US manufacturer of kava products who had suspended export to Canada in 2002 has since lifted the restriction and resumed shipping kava to Canada after obtaining confirmation that it wasn't illegal for Canadians to import kava.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Kava buzz is mostly a body high with slight to moderate antideppressant effects. Its not going to seriously alter your conciousness.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It'll kill your liver by raising the enzyme levels and what not. It's sort of the same deal as being an alcoholic or just someone who drinks booze and pops Tylenol. Both will cause liver failure.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Kava buzz is mostly a body high with slight to moderate antideppressant effects. Its not going to seriously alter your conciousness.

but if you add a sixer in the mix what happens?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
you kill your liver.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It'll kill your liver by raising the enzyme levels and what not. It's sort of the same deal as being an alcoholic or just someone who drinks booze and pops Tylenol. Both will cause liver failure.

cool, i'm in. Im looking for that shit tomorrow.. pusher.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get a kick ass buzz
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you're gonna do kava it is best to do like the natives and get yourself a good supply of ground root and whip up a batch of homemade.

I've had it quite a few times and the buzz is very low-key and mellow. Its not something that you take a couple sips and go "whoa im fucked up!" It's more like drink a cup or three and slowly notice that shit just doesn't bother you too much anymore and everything is kind of chill.

That's exactly how I feel. If I came across as "whoa im fucked up!" then I didn't properly explain how I feel right now.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You get a kick ass buzz

Then you die.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get a kick ass buzz

Then you die.

ha ha.. I haven't been this excited since whippits
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#20]
The whole "damage your liver" deal is kind of sketchy. Some companies that produce kava extracts use the stems and leaves of the plant which can allegedly cause more harm to your liver but if you are buying root powder from a reputable vendor you should be GTG.

Alcohol will destroy your liver too but does that stop people from drinking?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

A few things,  the powdered root that you mix up and drink works the best. The pills just aren't going to have the same effect. Also, it tastes really bad. The stuff I have is from the lateral roots, which are apparently the most potent.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get a kick ass buzz

Then you die.

Yeah if that was true it wouldn't be so popular in the islands now would it?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The whole "damage your liver" deal is kind of sketchy. Some companies that produce kava extracts use the stems and leaves of the plant which can allegedly cause more harm to your liver but if you are buying root powder from a reputable vendor you should be GTG.

Alcohol will destroy your liver too but does that stop people from drinking?

Hell no, we like gettin crunked and boozed all up in here.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Your friend tricked you. It's actually ground up rohypnol

(Watch out for the cornhole)

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get a kick ass buzz

Then you die.

not before you go jaundice
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You get a kick ass buzz

Then you die.

Yeah if that was true it wouldn't be so popular in the islands now would it?

It's bad when you pop kava pills and drink booze. It's different than drinking cups of the stuff and chatting with friends and neighbors.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A few things,  the powdered root that you mix up and drink works the best. The pills just aren't going to have the same effect. Also, it tastes really bad. The stuff I have is from the lateral roots, which are apparently the most potent.

can I mix it with Tang?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.thephantomcity.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/interestedcat.jpg

Questionable products, you say? Go on....

Where would one buy a can of Kava?

Probably online and at organic and natural food and grocery stores.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:39:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The taste is REALLY bad but after drinking it for awhile it gets tolerable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#30]
soooo

chinese coffee then?

I prefer my coffee from the blood covered hills of columbia

MMM-MMM the smell of full auto bursts from AK's and MAC's in the mornin...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The taste is REALLY bad but after drinking it for awhile it gets tolerable.

I drank a cup of it in three gulps. The last gulp was BADDD and I had to dilute it to get it down.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#32]
One of the best way to experience kava is to get yourself a quantity of powdered root bark. Mix about a cup of this in with about four cups water into your blender and let it mix for about five minutes. The blender emulcifies and extracts the kavalactones into the water.

Strain the contents of the blender thouroughly and drink up and enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

soooo
chinese coffee then?

Not coffee and not chinese. This is a psycho active root from the south pacific that you drink to relax.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#34]
whoa.

Whats it taste like?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
whoa.

Whats it taste like?

Best way I could describe the taste is pepper flavoured dirty sock.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

whoa.

Whats it taste like?

Which is also mixed with muddy water. It's really bad and...unique.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
soooo

chinese coffee then?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

soooo

chinese coffee then?

http://emogothchef.suicidegrills.com/skwisgaar_whippin_hair.gif

Dethklok.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
soooo

chinese coffee then?

DUNCAN! HILLS! DUNCAN! HILLS! DUNCAN! HILLS! COFFE!

I haven't seen that show in so long. Is it still on?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#40]
STOCK UP ON PRE-BAN KAVA!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#41]
dibs on yo stuff
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:47:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
soooo

chinese coffee then?

Yes, but apparently the new season doesn't start 'til November.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
soooo

chinese coffee then?

Yes, but apparently the new season doesn't start 'til November.

Sweet I get out of OSUT just in time!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:55:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

whoa.

Whats it taste like?

Which is also mixed with muddy water. It's really bad and...unique.

And diluted with week-old dirty dish water that did a trip through a washing machine.

Perhaps the nastiest stuff I have consumed.

I lived in Fiji for several months, and go to drinking too much of this stuff, while hanging out with

the locals. Quite the social occasion, just sitting around, bullshitting, sucking on a bowl of kava.

Sort of like passing a joint, or passing around a bottle of Jack, etc, but different.

Miss the conversation, not the kava, so much.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top