Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 3:24:35 PM EDT
Anybody else think the Coast Guard is going to come in and condemn that rusted out hole in the ocean?

Seems like it has leaks from stem to stern!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I am waiting for an exclusive battle between the Sea Shepherd and the Cornelia Marie.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am waiting for an exclusive battle between the Sea Shepherd and the Cornelia Marie.

The Sea Shepard Captain will have to get a bigger bullet proof badge. Wasn't someone on the Cornelia Marie unloading with a Mini-14 last season or was that the Northwestern?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Sea Shepard Captain will have to get a bigger bullet proof badge. Wasn't someone on the Cornelia Marie unloading with a Mini-14 last season or was that the Northwestern?

I thought it was the Time Bandit
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#4]
It was the time bandit with the guys popping some rounds over the side.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't matter much who it was-they SEEM to all be friends as long as they don't pull each others' gear. They'd get help from anyone close.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems to me that most of the boats need attention. The Wizard is a converted military oil hauler or something and it is as bad or worse than the Cornelia Marie.
The only boats I have seen that I would risk my life on are the Time Bandit and the Northwestern.
But most of the captains seem to know what they are doing and won't do anything too stupid.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I watched every single episode last season.... and I don't remember any guns????  Maybe I missed an episode?

They've shown boats in much worse shape than the CM.  That little blue boat comes to mind.  Can't remember the name.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Those are documented but not inspected vessels.  They have a safety inspection but I doubt the USCG will ever condemn on of those boats.  The Maverick ( I think) had a wave knock a hole in the rusted hull last year.  These boats do not have to come anywhere near the standards of a vessel for hire regarding USCG inspections and requirements
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
my buddy has been a film guy on the wizard for 3 episodes.  he said all those guys are fucked up in the head
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Those are documented but not inspected vessels.  They have a safety inspection but I doubt the USCG will ever condemn on of those boats.  The Maverick ( I think) had a wave knock a hole in the rusted hull last year.  These boats do not have to come anywhere near the standards of a vessel for hire regarding USCG inspections and requirements

Damn... makes you wonder what their life insurance policies cost...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was the Time Bandit

There are more guns on PWS and Bering Sea fishing boats than most people think. . .
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
my buddy has been a film guy on the wizard for 3 episodes.  he said all those guys are fucked up in the head

which guys? all of them?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You gotta be at least a little crazy to make a living like those guys.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Seems to me that most of the boats need attention. The Wizard is a converted military oil hauler or something and it is as bad or worse than the Cornelia Marie.
The only boats I have seen that I would risk my life on are the Time Bandit and the Northwestern.
But most of the captains seem to know what they are doing and won't do anything too stupid.

the wizard had a few holes open to the sea
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the wizard had a few holes open to the sea

I predict that the Wizard won't make five more crab seasons before it is either retired because of the expense of repair, or it goes to the bottom. (Hopefully with no loss of life if it does). To be honest, the Wizaed's captain does not impress me.
Cornelia Marie needs to be dry-docked for a while and overhauled. I don't know if Phil can afford to do that.
Those boats take a beating. It's a wonder they last as well as they do.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#17]
fuck that let the leak wait till you are in at the dock watch it and such no need repairing it at sea when your only 10 miles out
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#18]
the Time Bandit is a very well maintained vessel I was just aboard her a few weeks ago
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#20]
There was at least one episode where one crew got out their stainless Mini 14s and were blasting away over the side into the water. Don't remember who or why or why not.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Huh looks like next week the coast guard goes after the cornelia Marie... wild.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the Time Bandit is a very well maintained vessel I was just aboard her a few weeks ago

The Time Bandit seem like a decent bunch of guys.  They never wrote my daughters back last year (they're their favorite crew).

Though if they say "MOTHER LODE" again, I'm gonna lose it.

they actually are I grew up and went to school with all of them  if I remember the next time their in town I'll get your daughters an autograph
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#24]

I had to laugh when the guy starts grinding then...*sproing!*  Water starts gushing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They'll throw the line hook out and nab one of the "deltas" and then pull em up on deck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't be too sure about the equipment......I remember one  boat splitting her stern open in the Shelikof Strait..in calm weather.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There was at least one episode where one crew got out their stainless Mini 14s and were blasting away over the side into the water. Don't remember who or why or why not.

Common...we used to shoot at pieces of wood...breaks the boredom
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Wizard is here in Seattle as of last week.  I fished for two years up there and I've been around boats my whole life.  Boats in AK that fish like that are NOT maintained to "Yacht" quality.  They are fishing boats for the working man.  Most of the boats in AK are converted from something or other
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Common...we used to shoot at pieces of wood...breaks the boredom

It was the Time Bandit, and one of the guys, Andy I think, was shooting at a broken plastic tote that tore a new set of his rain pants.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]
i lived on the wa coast for several years and knew a few guys who went up north fishing and i can tell you those boast are maintained just about like a farmers tractor durring harvest.    Ducttape, bailing wire and weld it so it will just get by.

They also stink to the high heavens i get sick just standing on the docks next to them from the smell alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top