Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 2:59:27 PM EDT
My wife is 39 and it appears that we'll know for sure tomorrow she'll need a hysterectomy in a few weeks, but odds are good the ovaries will stay.

Her company is aware of this and knows she'll be working from home after the surgery.  Anyone have a wife that's gone through this?  What's an average get-well time after the surgery?  How long was she on painkillers?  

Any info would be appreciated.

HH

UPDATE:  Just got back from OB/GYN and she's decided to do a hysteroscopy for now.  A hysterectomy would increase the risk for my wife because she's got LUPUS, too.  One fibrous tumor is bleeding in her uterus so she's going to remove it and then keep a close eye on her.  She wasn't too concerned about the other FT's or cysts on her ovaries.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The surgeon that did my wife's used this technology Robotic Surgery She was up and ready to be out of the hospital the next day. Don't get it done the old fashion way is my advise.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear this bro.

If she has to have it, it will be a life changing event for both of you.  My mom had one when I was like 12, she was a hormonal mess for several years.  She is perpetually in menopause which caused her some other issues with blood clots that nearly killed her.  An aunt had it done and had similar emotional issues too.

I hope she does not need to have it done but both of you need to be fully aware of what could happen to her emotionally if she does get it done.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife had it done and was back to work on light duty after a week. No heavy lifting
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife had years of "female problems" which led to her ultimatley having her histerectomy. She said it was very painful and it took a while for it to heal up. I believe she was off for 8 weeks. The scar was much smaller than I had thought it would be. Hardly noticable at all now.

If it's any consolation, she says it's the best thing she's ever done. She loves not having to deal with the hassles of what women go through every month and not having all the other problems.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear this bro.

If she has to have it, it will be a life changing event for both of you.  My mom had one when I was like 12, she was a hormonal mess for several years.  She is perpetually in menopause which caused her some other issues with blood clots that nearly killed her.  An aunt had it done and had similar emotional issues too.

I hope she does not need to have it done but both of you need to be fully aware of what could happen to her emotionally if she does get it done.

Thanks, bud.  I'm sure we'll get a bunch of reading info tomorrow.

HH
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My wife had years of "female problems" which led to her ultimatley having her histerectomy. She said it was very painful and it took a while for it to heal up. I believe she was off for 8 weeks. The scar was much smaller than I had thought it would be. Hardly noticable at all now.

If it's any consolation, she says it's the best thing she's ever done. She loves not having to deal with the hassles of what women go through every month and not having all the other problems.

Wife is thinking the same thing, but the healing process could be very tough in the meantime.

HH
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The Mrs had a total when she was 26.

She never did find a Hormone replacement that worked.She was off work for 8 weeks IIRC.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry to hear this bro.

HH

My wife who is also 39, just had one done about 5 months ago.    She has a patch that keeps her hormones in check.    Af first it was a little tough, as it had to be adjusted to her a few times.    There were several reasons that she had it done, but one one of them was successful, the rest are still problems.   She was pretty quick at getting well, but sex life was a no go for 6 weeks, then pretty sparce for quite a while, as the hormones were getting fixed.    

She would tell you that she wishes she wouldn't have had it done, but I think it's helped her hormonal fluctuations, and pain during the time of the month.   She doesn't miss as much work now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish you both best of luck with the procedure and healing. Wish I could comment, but I was to young much of anything about it when my mom had it done.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, the single horniest woman I ever met in my life had a hysterectomy. I'm guessing that there may have been some hormonal issues at play, but I was ok with that.

So, be supportive and knock on wood.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife had it done within the past year. They left her ovaries as well. I wish they would have just pulled everything out. They said by leaving the ovaries she would not need hormones. They were wrong. She still needed to go on hormone therapy. Discuss with her Dr why he wants to leave the ovaries.

But she worked from home for a week and was put back to work on light duty after that. Only spent one night in the hospital and only took 2 days worth of pain meds.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry to hear this bro.

HH

My wife who is also 39, just had one done about 5 months ago.    She has a patch that keeps her hormones in check.    Af first it was a little tough, as it had to be adjusted to her a few times.    There were several reasons that she had it done, but one one of them was successful, the rest are still problems.   She was pretty quick at getting well, but sex life was a no go for 6 weeks, then pretty sparce for quite a while, as the hormones were getting fixed.    

She would tell you that she wishes she wouldn't have had it done, but I think it's helped her hormonal fluctuations, and pain during the time of the month.   She doesn't miss as much work now.

Well, she has 5 fibrous tumors (benign) and this is the 3rd time around for this problem.  The only way to make them stop is the surgery...we really don't have much choice here.

HH
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife had it done within the past year. They left her ovaries as well. I wish they would have just pulled everything out. They said by leaving the ovaries she would not need hormones. They were wrong. She still needed to go on hormone therapy. Discuss with her Dr why he wants to leave the ovaries.

But she worked from home for a week and was put back to work on light duty after that. Only spent one night in the hospital and only took 2 days worth of pain meds.

I'm glad you mentioned this.  The ultrasound yesterday also showed cysts on each ovary, so if there's going to be hormonal issues anyway, maybe we should have those out, too.

HH
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry to hear this bro.

HH

Well, she has 5 fibrous tumors (benign) and this is the 3rd time around for this problem.  The only way to make them stop is the surgery...we really don't have much choice here.

HH

My wife had same.   Caused her some severe pain during her cycle.   Like I said; I think it was a good idea.     She's not so sure, but I think she is dissapointed it didn't fix all of her health problems.    

Finding the right hormonal replacement is a pain.    My wife had to try a bunch of different ones until they got  the right one, in the right dose.      Just keep that in mind, when she's being a complete moron or bitch.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry to hear this bro.

HH

HH

My wife had same.   Caused her some severe pain during her cycle.   Like I said; I think it was a good idea.     She's not so sure, but I think she is dissapointed it didn't fix all of her health problems.    

Finding the right hormonal replacement is a pain.    My wife had to try a bunch of different ones until they got  the right one, in the right dose.      Just keep that in mind, when she's being a complete moron or bitch.

This is one thing I'm afraid of...she's NEVER a bitch-ever.  I just hope she doesn't remind me of my first wife.

HH
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife had a total done in sept 08. Surgery in morning and home in the afternoon. Her hormones are fucked up and she is a crying, bitchy wreck. She was 42 yrs old. Her sex drive is nil and has been since the surgery. We are just trying to get her hormones balanced out and she just started to take anti depressants also. We have been married for 21yrs and it has been a challenge the past year. The good news is her female problems are gone. She is trying and I try to support her.  I have had three surgeries on my ankle and foot in the last year with the last one being a week ago and we have both struggled with maintaining a good relationship during this time. I hope it works out for you all. It has been pure hell for us and hopefully things will start to level out. Just be prepared, she is going to need your support.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Wife had a total 12 years ago....Haven't had relations in10 years for this and other physical reasons ....YMMV
Be sure she studies up on HRT before consenting to it. It can be good and bad. Mine couldn't tolerate it. Made her deathly ill, migraines, ect.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Wife had it last year...liposcopic. She went home that day, was able to move around that night. Tender, but was back at work in 1 week. She had it all taken out. Said she had a small uterus which helped. Hot flashes and scar tissue formations since to deal with. But working on it. Her quality of life has improved from it. She had the migraines and horribly painful menstrual cycles before on top of cysts and fibroids that kept coming back. Now she is way better off. 37yrs old.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My wife is 39 and it appears that we'll know for sure tomorrow she'll need a hysterectomy in a few weeks, but odds are good the ovaries will stay.

Her company is aware of this and knows she'll be working from home after the surgery.  Anyone have a wife that's gone through this?  What's an average get-well time after the surgery?  How long was she on painkillers?  

HH

My sister had a hysterectomy last week, we talked last night. She took the ride but not the pain killers and is glad she did. She had a previous operation where they made her really sick and didn't want to deal with puking while her guts were freshly sewn up. They were able to leave both ovaries, so no hormone shots are in her future.

ETA: She took 6 weeks off work and is already feeling like her recovery won't be that long, maybe another week or two.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#20]
HH...Just a "good luck" to both of you from me...never had one...although, it's been on my Christmas wish list for the last 12 years.
Seriously, get all your questions answered to both your satisfaction before proceeding and don't be afraid to ask friends/relatives for a hand while she is recovering.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Best of luck OP, for both of you.  My prayers are with you and your wife as you go through this.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Try to get a surgeon that can do it with the robot or laparoscopic. There is much faster recovery. If she has a open hysterectomy, ask about an epidural or TAP blocks, or spinal morphine for pain control.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#23]
My EX wife had that done. Bitch went crazy after that and I had to get the fuck out. She went off the deep end and things got very abusive and physical on her end. There is no way I would go through that again, no way in hell.

Good luck, your results my vary.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

HH

Wife had it done same as described last year (laparoscopically) and went home the same day a couple of hours after surgery age 46. Painkillers first couple of days and back to work in 2.5 weeks. As long as she has the small incisions, she should be ok pretty quick. No sex for six weeks minimum. My wife is the same as before minus the fake baby bump and periods from hell.

If the ovaries are staying, the hormones should not be an issue. My wife had a bunch of fibroids, two were huge...each about the size of a newborn's head. Dr. said it was the largest removed in West Michigan using the method he used. If the ovaries go, you are both in a whole new ballgame.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Good luck, my friend.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#26]
If she's keeping her ovaries, she shouldn't need ERT as the ovaries will continue to produce estrogen.

Some women have horror stories, other women say it's the best thing they ever did. I used to sell HRT before the Women's Health Initiative blew up the market so I heard it all. Nothing wierder than a guy trying to sell estrogen vaginal cream. Then again, I guess a female rep selling erectile dysfunction drugs would feel just as odd. But I digress.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife had one years ago. They left the ovaries and went in a year later to take 1 out (cyst). After the hysterectomy she was up and about in 2 days and back to work the next week. If she needs hormones be patient. They dicked around getting the balance right and it cost me a broken hand from punching the wall after she went batshit crazy on me. Fun times.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#28]
About 20 months after my wifes super cervical hysto she develope Ovarian cancer.  

Ditch the ovaries.  She doesn't need them anymore.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#29]
My ex had a total due to cancer about 14 years ago, IIRC she was out for about 3 to 4 weeks, was out of the hospital after 2 or 3 days. Why is she keeping the ovaries? From what I understand, when my ex had hers, there was no way to test for ovarian cancer, she may want to think about that. The good part of my ex having a total was there was no more "that time of the month" Pie any time without having to worry about that.  

I don't remember what hormones she took but they kept her on an even keel. Hope all goes well for the both of you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks to all of you for your input...I really appreciate it.

We're gonna know a lot more tomorrow at noon...I'll give an update when we get home.

HH
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I was 34 when I had a partial hysterectomy.  I still have my ovaries and tubes.  The surgery went well, spent one night in the hospital and home the next day, I did have a little set back, due to a blood clot that developed at the incision but once that was taken care of I was on my way.  I was out of work for about 6 weeks and no sex until about 8 weeks.  

From what I remember It was an easy procedure, recovery takes some time, pain meds were necessary but giving birth was a lot more to go through.

My doctor told me that I would only have a partial as long as she didn't see anything wrong with my ovaries. I was happy with that because I didn't want to go through early menopause.  And I know the husband was happy with that since he had requested that the ovaries stay!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was 34 when I had a partial hysterectomy.  I still have my ovaries and tubes.  The surgery went well, spent one night in the hospital and home the next day, I did have a little set back, due to a blood clot that developed at the incision but once that was taken care of I was on my way.  I was out of work for about 6 weeks and no sex until about 8 weeks.  

From what I remember It was an easy procedure, recovery takes some time, pain meds were necessary but giving birth was a lot more to go through.

My doctor told me that I would only have a partial as long as she didn't see anything wrong with my ovaries. I was happy with that because I didn't want to go through early menopause.  And I know the husband was happy with that since he had requested that the ovaries stay!!!

Thank you, sweety...I have a LOT of questions for tomorrow.

HH
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I helped perform two today.  I'm a CRNA, most hys' on ladies your wifes age are laparascopic.  Actually called a LAVH, laparascopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy.  Most of the surgery is with the scope with the specimen removed vaginally.  No pie for 6-8 weeks, varies by healing time and surgeon directions.  Normally not much pain when compared to the open version of the procedure.  Most ladies require very little meds for acute pain, one night stay in the hospital(usually home the same day), in follow ups most ladies are completely off pain meds in one or two days.  If they take her ovaries, good luck with finding the right hormone replacement, there just isnt any quick or easy way to find what works for her.  Nausea is a problem in ANY surgery for a female of her age, my folks get a minimum of three different antimetics and sometimes they still puke their guts out, varies by patient.  Wish you both the best of luck.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Is that why the ovaries stay?  No early menopause?  I never thought about that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#35]
My wife had a partial June 1st via the DaVinci robotic procedure (lapriscopic).  They left the ovaries so she wouldn't go immediately into menopause and she wanted to avoid hormone replacement therapy unless it was absolutely necessary.

No heavy lifting for at least a month.  No sex for 6-8 weeks.  We won't know until she has her checkup with the doctor.

My wife had a large fibroid cyst that was giving her alot of problems.

The doctor recommended 2 weeks off from work but her company's disability specialist changed it to 4 weeks.

I am hoping for the best.  I have read alot of horror stories but most of them seem to be from women that had complete hysterectomies and they had trouble getting the hormone replacement correct.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Is that why the ovaries stay?  No early menopause?  I never thought about that.

That's correct and to avoid hormone therapy for the rest of their life.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#37]
So does the cervix stay or go when there's a hysterectomy?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Here's my thumbnail on Hysterectomies:

They're usually done one of two ways: through the abdomen, or through the vagina (a so-called vag-hyst, or vaginal hysterectomy).  The latter leaves no scars on the abdomen.  For a large, fibroid uterus, they'll probably do it the old-fashioned way (through the abdomen), for the simple reason that a large fibroid uterus can't be removed through the vaginal approach.

If they're leaving the ovaries behind, that's called a partial hysterectomy (in a complete hysterectomy, they take everything)... and you shouldn't have to worry about early menopause.  Early menopause is undesirable because post-menopausal women experience increased cardiovascular risk, increased osteoporosis, etc.  You can take hormones to ameliorate some of those things (as well as the hot-flashes, mood swings, etc), although recent studies have cast serious doubt on the cardio-protective effects of hormone replacement, indicating instead that HRT actually increases your risk of heart-attack and stroke.  HRT also increases your risk for some cancers (like breast cancer).

Most women do very well after hysterectomy, though there are some incidental things that are noted.  Some women notice changes in intercourse afterwards, including a change in their sensation of orgasm.  You can still have one, but women will often report that it feels "different" (most women have uterine contractions during orgasm, and the absence of that structure may contribute to that difference, though that's only a theory).

Your wife will probably be fine.  Your GYN should be able to answer your questions, as well as give you the stats, potential complications, etc... in absolutely excruciating detail if you're interested.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#39]
My second wife had a partial. Very little sex before and absolutely none afterwards. Currently seeking wife number 3.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#40]
My mom got one when I was about 12.  She has been batshit crazy ever since.   Seriously it's split the family up.  

I would guess hormone therapy is better now but tread with caution.  My mother is dead to me now.  I'm not sure what apathtic,  hormonal, egotistical mess inhabits her shell now but it's not my mom

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Research online or discuss the implications of HRT with the doctor (rheumatologist, internist) that is treating her lupus.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Prayers Sent to YOU and the WIFE
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#43]
There is a couple of short animations on Youtube regarding hysterectomies. You may want to take a look at these, depending on the procedure, the wife can go back to work the next day, but I am not a doctor.

I wish her a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Prayers for your wife Husker.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife had a complete hysterectomy several years ago. Overall, she has done good. But, there are days that something will "set her off" and she turns into a mutant BITCH from your worst nightmare. Hormone theropy does help, but in my opinion it does not replace what was lost.

AND I'm no doctor, but we were told that hormone theropy can GREATLY increase her chances of getting breast cancer since it runs in her family.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the prayers and support, guys!

HH
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#47]
HH,     The very best of luck to your wife and you.  Have her get a CA 125 blood test now, and keep an eye on that as well.  Those cysts should be looked at by an oncologist/surgeon during the proceedure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
HH,     The very best of luck to your wife and you.  Have her get a CA 125 blood test now, and keep an eye on that as well.  Those cysts should be looked at by an oncologist/surgeon during the proceedure.

Wow...I'm going to show your post to her.  Thanks for telling us.

HH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top