Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 1:16:16 PM EDT
I always see them on Gun Broker where they make a point out of it being a SP1. Do people really want them for collecting or just as a KISS rifle?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
they're not rare. They just haven't been built since 1985 and they were built by Colt. Most people have them for collector guns. I shoot mine regularly. They are pricey but they will go up in value over the years, since there is a fixed supply and an ever increasing demand. Add to the fact that they were very well built

here's a shamless pic of of mine.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
They are 1960s mustangs. Not exactly rare, not exactly common, definitely classics.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
they're not rare. They just haven't been built since 1985 and they were built by Colt. Most people have them for collector guns. I shoot mine regularly. They are pricey but they will go up in value over the years, since there is a fixed supply and an ever increasing demand. Add to the fact that they were very well built

here's shamless a pic of of mine.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn150/beamy85/DSCN0002.jpg

The F-100 of rifles

Nice!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Heres one too.

I don't follow the used AR market b/c of our AWB on new ARs and was just wondering what was the big draw when people outside the AWB states can get new ones. I wish I could get a new AR, maybe a R-25.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are 1960s mustangs. Not exactly rare, not exactly common, definitely classics.

damn good analogy

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Heres one too.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2iqbevm.jpg

I don't follow the used AR market b/c of our AWB on new ARs and was just wondering what was the big draw when people outside the AWB states can get new ones. I wish I could get another AR, maybe a R-25.

They are attractive because they are classics, like classic hot rod. Most of them, especially the ones with the triangle hand guards and the pencil barrel remind people of the Vietnam era M16s or the ARs that were used on TV shows like SWAT and so forth. People like them for the same reasons that reason.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heres one too.

I don't follow the used AR market b/c of our AWB on new ARs and was just wondering what was the big draw when people outside the AWB states can get new ones. I wish I could get another AR, maybe a R-25.

They are attractive because they are classics, like classic hot rod. Most of them, especially the ones with the triangle hand guards and the pencil barrel remind people of the Vietnam era M16s or the ARs that were used on TV shows like SWAT and so forth. People like them for the same reasons that reason.

Still have the skinny barrel upper for the 16" SP1. And it has the rubber coated matel stock. Are those worth more then the 20" ones?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]
They are the "classic" of ARs and compared to some of the overweight hog 20" ARs floating around nowadays, handle like a svelte model instead of a Wal Mart midnight shopper.

I picked up one last summer for a song in very nice shape, even had the solid buttstock on it
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I know a lot of them got parted out during the Assault Weapon Ban of 1994-2004 since the lower receiver made your gun pre-ban. I'm sure there are plenty of them out there. Some people will think they're worth more. I see them as old and ugly. They're no Garand or M14.

You're better off with a modern production AR15 unless you just have to have one because you think they're collectible or like the way they look.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heres one too.

Still have the skinny barrel upper for the 16" SP1. And it has the rubber coated matel stock. Are those worth more then the 20" ones?

Pencil barrel carbines are more rare than pencil barrel rifles to my understanding.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

All else being equal the carbine is worth about $200 more than the rifle.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All else being equal the carbine is worth about $200 more than the rifle.

fewer carbines were built.
SP1 rifle production began in late 1963, while the SP1 carbine wasn't produced until 1978. Both ended in 1985.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are the "classic" of ARs and compared to some of the overweight hog 20" ARs floating around nowadays, handle like a svelte model instead of a Wal Mart midnight shopper.

I picked up one last summer for a song in very nice shape, even had the solid buttstock on it

I remember my first Colt SP1. Beautiful rifle, and I loved the relative simplicity of it compared to some of the marvels of modern technology produced now.

The HBAR is the complete antithesis of what the rifle was supposed to be. The A2 is a reasonable compromise between modern requirements and the original intent.

The M4 is something completely different, not altogether, but different.

Hopefully the explosion in manufacturers, parts and accessories has ended the practice of modifying and mutilating these old classics.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck it, i tried to reply three times and the fucking Board would not let me submit my rather laborious response three times so fuck it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#15]

make your own.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heres one too.

I had the SWAT M-16 toy gun when I was a little girl...believe me I was the only girl in my neighborhood who had that!it was the same size as the real thing.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#17]
not to highjack this thread, but what is Colt AR-15 A2 (green label box) ~1989 worth?  I guess its the model right after the SP1.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#18]
1972 model, never fired. Gave it to my son.

I do get it out and fondle it once and a while. Nice gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
not to highjack this thread, but what is Colt AR-15 A2 (green label box) ~1989 worth?  I guess its the model right after the SP1.
NIB? I'd guess 2 grand with all the current hysteria though why anyone would pay that when you can buy present day weapons as good or better is beyond me.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Unless you go by the serial #s,about 1500-2000 were made per year,starting in the mid 1960s,then various police agencies ordered them in the early 1970s(SFPD dumped alot onto the market some years back),plus Viet Nam vets wanted thier own copies,hence production went up in the 70's/80s.

I have one made in 1966.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#21]

I have that exact same Frankencolt!

Cost me a whopping $450.

Its my favorite gun!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I still have my SP1 carbine my mother bought me as a coming home from the Corps present, 1984.  It's pricelist since she has passed a few years ago.  I have the original receipt and it sold for $450.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
NIB? I'd guess 2 grand with all the current hysteria though why anyone would pay that when you can buy present day weapons as good or better is beyond me.

thanks I have one of those, I think I gave $600 for it back then.  Its not NIB (still have the box but not new anymore) ,but I put away in the safe, its not my eveyday AR which is my RRA CAR (like you said, modern day is as good or better) but I figured that Colt was worth some $
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I was hoping to look for a 20" SP1 in 'Colt Guard' finish. Any idea on what that would cost?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Out of all the AR/M4/M16's that I have shot the most reliable one is my friend's SP1.  I have seen him abuse the shit out of that rifle and it runs like a champ, I was very upset when my brand new bushmaster couldn't keep up, and that is why I will only buy Colt when it comes to AR's.  I also prefer the A1 style stock over the A2 or the collapsible M4 stock.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was hoping to look for a 20" SP1 in 'Colt Guard' finish. Any idea on what that would cost?

now the Coltguard SP1 is somewhat rare,  before all of the this panic buying shenanigans they were still less than $2000. I'm not sure what they would go for now?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks I have one of those, I think I gave $600 for it back then.  Its not NIB (still have the box but not new anymore) ,but I put away in the safe, its not my eveyday AR which is my RRA CAR (like you said, modern day is as good or better) but I figured that Colt was worth some $
exactly,so why not cash in? buy something else..it should still fetch a good price even without the box etc.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Neat, but it isn't the same. It is like a Shelby Cobra kit car compared to an original.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Wonder what #7 went for,$250k was the opening bid on Gunbroker. Seen beater ones go for around $800,ones that looked like they never left the safe,$1600-1800.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#31]
The first AR I bought was an SP-1 , Still have it , and love it . Not as fancy as the new ones , But still a very nice rifle
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Found out mine was made in 1972.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

about 1500

BTW  the SP1 only came with a "pencil barrel".    the SP1 never had a HBAR or gov barrel etc  same with the carbine

and its not a "mattel" stock its aluminum with   a coating.

some SP1 are rare if its an early one with a triangle flash hider  and some other small  differneces I doubt anyone in GD would care about
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Anytime I see "RARE" on E-Bay or Gun Broker, I move on.

Rare = Overpriced.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

same here, mine was to
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here, mine was to

Another `72 here
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#37]

'71 or '72.   Can't remember.

Too bad they're both only airsoft

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#38]
No, I would not call the SP1's rare, but they sure are pretty.  

I have one that appears to be unfired, but believe it is cause the original BCG is missing. It has a bolt carrier in it with forward assist notches on it. Now before you all go & say all of them did, I will let you know mine was made in 1965 before the notches. I do not have any pics of it right now, cause I can never get a good pic of it & trash everything I take. I'll try to take another picture of it & post it if it turns out to my liking.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have one that appears to be unfired, but believe it is cause the original BCG is missing. It has a bolt carrier in it with forward assist notches on it. Now before you all go & say all of them did, I will let you know mine was made in 1965 before the notches. I do not have any pics of it right now, cause I can never get a good pic of it & trash everything I take. I'll try to take another picture of it & post it if it turns out to my liking.

If it was made 1965,it either could or couldn't have notches,that's about the time Colt really started production of the XM-16E1,and Colt would grab whatever was lying around,for SP-1s. There weren't that many SP-1 made until the early 1970s,when Police Depts started to replace M1 carbines with SP-1s.

Come to think of it,SGN had SFPD SP-1s for sale about 10 or so years ago,list at $800 or thereabouts.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't think so. There were a lot of them made. I have one, and I never shoot it anymore. If it's considered rare now, I'll be happy to let it go for (pinky finger in mouth) one million dollars...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heres one too.

Pencil barrel carbines are more rare than pencil barrel rifles to my understanding.

I love my pencil carbine.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/hk45shooter/SP1929x697-1.jpg
That's absolutly beautiful!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top