Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 6:41:10 AM EDT
While on a run with my female lab pup this morning we where greeted by another female lab pup off of someones porch.  She followed us for awhile so I headed back towards the house she came from.  She did not have a collar or chain on.  Just then the garage door opens so I say to the lady, "Your dog is loose and following me."  She says the dog is not hers but it was in her yard last night.  Ok so me and my pup continue on our way and the stray follows us to our house.  She looked to be in good shape, around 6 months same as my pup, and was really friendly.  The wife is not to sure about it, but I put her in the back yard and gave her some food and water which she seemed to enjoy.  I put found ads in the local paper's website and craigslist.  My next step is to take her to the local vet to see if she has a chip and post some signs in my neighborhood.  How would you all handle this situation?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
While on a run with my female lab pup this morning we where greeted by another female lab pup off of someones porch.  She followed us for awhile so I headed back towards the house she came from.  She did not have a collar or chain on.  Just then the garage door opens so I say to the lady, "Your dog is loose and following me."  She says the dog is not hers but it was in her yard last night.  Ok so me and my pup continue on our way and the stray follows us to our house.  She looked to be in good shape, around 6 months same as my pup, and was really friendly.  The wife is not to sure about it, but I put her in the back yard and gave her some food and water which she seemed to enjoy.  I put found ads in the local paper's website and craigslist.  My next step is to take her to the local vet to see if she has a chip and post some signs in my neighborhood.  How would you all handle this situation?

Sounds like your doing it perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
SSS
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you've covered all your bases.

I took in a stray last winter, but it kept digging out and I didn't want my dog to pick up that trait, so I tried getting rid of him to friends and family but I couldn't find anyone.  So I took him in to the shelter.  I have no doubt somebody took him in.  He was a great little dog.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#4]
1. see if she has a chip
2. if no one answers keep her
3. ???
4. profit!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#5]
You own a new dog! PICS!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#6]
You're doing everything right, I did the same last Christmas with successful results. turns out Sugar had the same vet as my two girls and there was a happy reunion. If it doesn't work out that way you have a new girl, dogs do better in pairs anyway.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#7]

My new pup her name is Fergie.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#8]
you're a good man, charlie brown

eta: take her too the vet and see if she's chipped....they'll check for free
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're doing everything right, I did the same last Christmas with successful results. turns out Sugar had the same vet as my two girls and there was a happy reunion. If it doesn't work out that way you have a new girl, dogs do better in pairs anyway.

+1 much healthier for them.

OP you're doing everything right.  My one suggestion it to screen all callers/visitors claiming the dog is theirs.  Never know what kind of douchebag is needing a free dog for nefarious purposes.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 much healthier for them.

OP you're doing everything right.  My one suggestion it to screen all callers/visitors claiming the dog is theirs.  Never know what kind of douchebag is needing a free dog for nefarious purposes.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  They are going to have to show me proof of ownership or at least proof they live somewhere in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#12]

"Silver" Lab. Beware her eyes and hips.

ETA: You've covered all your bases on what to do. There are also some websites that allow you to post up found pets. Don't remember any of them off the top of my head, but you can Google "lost pet finder". I'd also put up a lot of signs in your neighborhood.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh, and I don't know about your neighborhood, obviously, but my HOA is really good about sending out an email if someone finds a dog. If you've got an HOA, try hitting up a board member to send out a found dog email, or post on your HOA's website.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"Silver" Lab. Beware her eyes and hips.

ETA: You've covered all your bases on what to do. There are also some websites that allow you to post up found pets. Don't remember any of them off the top of my head, but you can Google "lost pet finder". I'd also put up a lot of signs in your neighborhood.

I got her from my buddy.  He breeds all flavors of pointing labs.  She has a good bloodline with no eye and hip problems.  www.lankaslabs.com
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Good man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top