Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2009 10:18:37 PM EDT
I just got a Wave multi-tool and this thing is fuckin sweet!!!!  I have the original Leatherman and this new one blows it out of the water.

All blades lock and there is no wiggle detectable at all.

I know Tim Leathman is an anti-gun guy, but man, he sure knows how to design a Multi-tool.  This thing is built to last (25 year warranty)and is composed of some serious engineering....It was only 53 bucks on Amazon.....great deal IMO.

I highly recommend it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I just got a Wave multi-tool and this thing is fuckin sweet!!!! I have the original Leatherman and this new one blows it out of the water.

All blades lock and there is no wiggle detectable at all.

I know Tim Leathman is an anti-gun guy, but man, he sure knows how to design a Multi-tool. This thing is built to last (25 year warranty)and is composed of some serious engineering....It was only 53 bucks on Amazon.....great deal IMO.

I highly recommend it.

Pics?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine came apart pretty quick.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had one for years (i dunno, maybe 10, how long have they been making them?).  It's a damn fine tool.  The blades don't seem to be as strong for general knife use as a larger single blade would be (though I haven't broken it yet, so I guess they are), but everything else is very useful.  I just wish it was a little more comfortable in the hand when it's closed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]

If I were in the market for a multitool I'd think about getting one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Until my 10 year old Gerbers break, I'll pass.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Pulse and a Skeletool.  I really want a black oxide Surge or a Charge AL, but I really don't need one.  I love Leatherman tools though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/leathermanstore_2058_7306402

If I were in the market for a multitool I'd think about getting one.

I have an old one and I love it!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
the leatherman ceo is a Clinton and gun control  supporter
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you get the special A.T.F. limited edition?

-JTP
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]
My fiancee ( then gf) bought me a Leatherman Surge a few years ago for our anniversary. Knowing Tim is an antigun guy I wouldnt have bought it but I wouldnt pass up such a nice gift. The multi-tool is the cats ass and has never let me down.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Of a company that makes a damn fine multitool. You can't get by in life only being a patron of your peers. You're going to step on your own toes eventually, might as well bite the bullet and accept it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of a company that makes a damn fine multitool. You can't get by in life only being a patron of your peers. You're going to step on your own toes eventually, might as well bite the bullet and accept it.

True.
But you also are the only one that can decide what your convictions are worth to you .
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Leatherman wave?? You wanna afuckin cookie???? They've been out for years. Day late and a dollar short you are!!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a charge XTI, its badass.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree, the best thing they have done was released years ago.

Support Democrats, support Leatherman.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I prefer the SOG multitools over any others.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I prefer the SOG multitools over any others.

Yup.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:51:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Leatherman Wave and swear by it.  Excellent multi-tool.  Everything you need and nothing you don't.  I even gut deer with it.

I don't care who the hell the CEO is.  He has every right to vote and support whoever he f'in chooses.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:03:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I got one but the tip of the needle nose is broken I should mail it back and get it repaired. I picked it up on the side of the road in a case and all so I didn't support them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are almost always other options for companies who are either neutral or share your views, helping your enemies is the epitome of stupid.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Wave and a SOG and the SOG wins hands down.  The Wave handles wobble back and forth pinching my hand when using  the tools plus the owner is antigun.  The SOG is rock solid and is a higher quality multitool in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:16:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup, Gerber or SOG for me
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#24]
That's a nice tool. I found mine in the spare wheel well of my Jeep a few days after I bought the Jeep. I would never give that company any of my own money though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:20:46 AM EDT
[#25]
+1 for SOG
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Does it say "We Love Obama" anywhere on it?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
II know Tim Leathman is an anti-gun guy, but I highly recommend it.

This is a sad commentary of how Pro-gun people will cut their own throats.

I will never buy another Leatherman product, ever.  I dont care if they make the best
multi-tool in the whole world.

LB

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Another +1 for sog.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Until my 10 year old Gerbers break, I'll pass.  

Yep, my Gerber (which I've had for 15 years) has never failed, rusted, come apart, etc.

I don't like Leatherman's since the pliers aren't one-handed accessible.  Tim Leatherman's personal political beliefs only seal the deal.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I have the Leatherman Surge and it's a great tool, I did break off the tip of the needlenose pliers trying to loosen the front sight post on a WASR AK but since it has a lifetime warranty I just sent it back to Leatherman and they replaced the pliers and put a new knife blade on it for me as well, all for free.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:46:51 AM EDT
[#31]
I got mine for $25 It was mismarked at Home Depot.

I grabbed four or five of them at that price but the manager would only let me buy one at that price. Oh well, I got mine.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I got a Gerber with locking tools years ago to take the place of my original Leatherman.  I don't know if Leatherman even had any units with locking tools at that time.  I just haven't seen a reason to go back to Leatherman since.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:51:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I know Tim Leathman is an anti-gun guy, but man, he sure knows how to design a Multi-tool.

No he doesn't.... one of the leaders in my Boy Scout troop when I was younger designed it. Then Leatherman decided "hey, we can hire two younger engineers for the price of this guy" and let him and a few others go.... Gerber was standing in line offering him a position.

I have a Wave, I like it... I didn't buy it though. This guy gave it to me when I received my Eagle Scout –– has my name etched on it too... pretty cool...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Victorinox SwissTool FTMFW.

Tim Leatherman has the right to support any politician he chooses.  However, in 2004 he issued a statement as the CEO of Leatherman Tools in support of John Kerry.  When he places the weight of his company behind someone who actively subverts my rights, I send my money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:57:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a Wave strapped to my belt right now.  I've had it for years, and use it often.  Great tool.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I liked the old Wave a bit better. It was a bit more refined, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Yea, leatherman has sided with the antigun forces, but the company does take care of its customers, at least it did for me. I broke off the tip of the mini screw driver, sent it in for repair, and they sent me a brand new model for naught. Needless to say.....I was satisfied
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Swiss Spirit

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#39]
I've got one that a vendor gave to me.

They do seem fairly well-built, but I'd never buy one with my own money.  I keep it in the car and only use it occasionally for the odd job.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Fuck Tim Leathman and his POS multi tool..
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are almost always other options for companies who are either neutral or share your views, helping your enemies is the epitome of stupid.

It is stupid to view other Americans as your enemies. Opponents maybe, not enemies.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is stupid to view other Americans as your enemies. Opponents maybe, not enemies.

Fuck Obama and every worthless dick stain that voted for him.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#43]

+1, A life time warrenty that covers damage and neglect? sign me up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Glad the OP like his bargin product. Too bad the wave isnt up to the older leatherman products.
I carried a Leatherman for decades, used it at least a few times everyday for months on end. I have given up on the products.

Leatherman reallly took a shit in design and product constuction a few years ago.
The company decided to go after the " Hey look its shiny, COOL  "  market. When they changed directions the tools took a nose dive in terms of quality.

Then the leatherman fucker came out as an anti,  FUCK AROCK AND TIM

I now carry a Gerber.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Ooh, look, the Liberty Bolsheviks of Freedom are out to denounce leatherman for not having sufficient partymindedness and political orthodoxy, and denounce leatherman's customers for the same.

Political orthodoxy before form! Political orthodoxy before function! Political orthodoxy and partymindedness before and above all else!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#46]
A double tap, but I promise mister commissar, it was a politically orthodox and fully partyminded one.

And leatherman makes fine little tools, I had a doohickey with a scissors and things on it for ages and ages on my key chain.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#47]
I like Gerber's myself.  Had one for a good six years and it's taken some abuse.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#48]
I preferred the first generation Wave, but have a LOT more miles on a PST2.  Finally busted the tip off the plier jaws and sent it in on warranty, they just sent me a new one.

With as much time as I had on the other one, I'dve just had it reground by a friend if I'd have thought they were just going to shitcan it and replace.  Don't know where my brain was on that one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#49]
I've had one for years and love it.  I don't leave home without it.   I live about 20 miles from the his place that makes them and any problem sI take them in and they swap them out. I have broken
many of them doing things that were clearly abuse to the tool that it wasn't designed for.   No questions asked.  No B.S. I brought one in for my BIL for repair as he snapped the tip off the pliers using it for a pry bar and asked if they would sharpen the blade on mine.  The gal behind the counter took mine, reached in the drawer and traded me for a brand new one.  They also swapped out the broken one I brought in.  Great customer service, and warranty.  

He also employ's a couple hundred people locally.  

His politics suck, but he runs a great business  makes a good product and stands 100% behind it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Objectively, you're right, but you're also being too kind.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top