Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:49:18 AM EDT
Anybody here a tanker?  Or just know some stuf about the Abrams?  I was watching the greatest tank show on the Military Channel last night and it reminded me of two questions I have always had about the Abrams.  First, why is there that bulge in the barrell of the main gun?  It seems like that would give the gasses propelling the shell a place to expand and reduce the speed  that it was traveling at.  Or is it just something "strapped" to the gun?  

Second, there are 2 spots (I think), 1 on either side of the turret, where there are 5-7 small tubes, all pointing up and out but all at different angles and in different directions.  In the pic below, look at the turret and you will see a square box thing and right behind that are the tubes.  What are those for?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Bore evac.. keeps teh smoke out of the turret.. the other is the smoke grenade launcher..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Tubes are smoke grenade launchers but no idea on the other.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bore evac.. keeps teh smoke out of the turret.. the other is the smoke grenade launcher..

Exactly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#4]

And the square box thing is for extra smoke grenades.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anybody here a tanker?  Or just know some stuf about the Abrams?  I was watching the greatest tank show on the Military Channel last night and it reminded me of two questions I have always had about the Abrams.  First, why is there that bulge in the barrell of the main gun?  It seems like that would give the gasses propelling the shell a place to expand and reduce the speed  that it was traveling at.  Second, there are 2 spots (I think), 1 on either side of the turret, where there are 5-7 small tubes, all pointing up and out but all at different angles and in different directions.  In the pic below, look at the turret and you will see a square box thing and right behind that are the tubes.  What are those for?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/bulldog8b/m1abrams01wh9.jpg

The tube around the main gun is the bore evacuator.
Bore evacuator

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]
imaigine taking heavy fire from a well armed enemy in close proximity and you need to GTFO right now.  Hit a series of buttons and all of the small outward facing tubes shoot smoke grenades 25-40 meters in every direction giving your tank PLT time to reposition for a flank manuever or just GTFO.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And the square box thing is for extra smoke grenades.

no.. we used it to store beers..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Dammit.  I knew about the bore evacuator thingie!  Missed my chance to show off my un-ladylike knowledge of tanky stuff by, what, five minutes.  This is twice now.  Shit.  Alright, seven minutes.

Jane
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a question about armor.

In some pics, I see horizontal metal rods along the base of the tank, almost like a wire cage.  I have seen this particularly on the Stryker, and to a lesser extent on the M1.

What are these for?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn, you guys (and girls) are good.  It hasn't been 5 minutes and I already got about 10 replies.  Thanks a lot.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In some pics, I see horizontal metal rods along the base of the tank, almost like a wire cage.  I have seen this particularly on the Stryker, and to a lesser extent on the M1.

What are these for?

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/skygod99/Stryker_wire_cage_US_Army_01.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/skygod99/DSRTTANK.gif  

That one I know.  It is to prevent RPGs from hitting it.  The RPG hits the cage and explodes away from the body of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What are these for?

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/skygod99/Stryker_wire_cage_US_Army_01.jpg

Break up RPGs
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What are these for?

It's for putting flowers in for the Rose Bowl Parade.  Who gives a shit?  It's the bore evacuator that's important.  Seven minutes.  Goddamn it.

Jane

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What are these for?]  

actually these bars are for small iraqi children to hang onto and beg for some food, water, and other free schwag from our beloved soldiers, which unintentionally adds a layer of bio-armor around the vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What are these for?

Striker.. Anti RPG.. On the abrams.. its a storage rack..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are these for?

It's for putting flowers in for the Rose Bowl Parade.  Who gives a shit?  It's the bore evacuator that's important.  Seven minutes.  Goddamn it.

Jane

You'll have another chance, m'lady.  Someone will likely ask about it again in the future.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What are these for?

"RPG cage"

The Stryker has one, the M1 pictured does not, those are just storage racks.

Shaped charges(like an RPG) normally need to detonate at a certain distance from the target to be completely effective.  The cage cause the RPG to either detonate early, or to detonate at an otherwise non optimal distance.  In some instances, it can even break the incoming round before it detonates.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#18]
ya know what I dont miss.. the Octopus cable! OMG I hated that thing! That and ripping out the slip ring..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are these for?

Jane

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#20]
If you can even tip a shaped charge so it is at an angle to the surface it looses some of its effectiveness.

At an angle the thickness of the armor is effectively increased.

One of the reasons for the slope on the turret armor.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Since that was so easy for you guys, what do you know about cavim armor? I know it is top secret stuff. I am not interested in  what its made of, just how it works. Is it reactive like the old armor plates on the M60 tank? or  does it absorb impacts, or do they bounce off? anyone know?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Since that was so easy for you guys, what do you know about cavim armor? I know it is top secret stuff. I am not interested in  what its made of, just how it works. Is it reactive like the old armor plates on the M60 tank? or  does it absorb impacts, or do they bounce off? anyone know?

Never heard of cavim armor.  Are you thinking Chobham, perhaps?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#23]
i dont think chobham is really so secret anymore.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#24]
yeah, IIRC Vito has some open source info on the composition of 1st gen Chobham armor...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are these for?

Jane

You'll have another chance, m'lady.  Someone will likely ask about it again in the future.  

I'm thinking about paying someone to do it.  We could synchronize our watches and everything so I'd be first.  Or better still, I could pay a couple other guys to get in before me and say dumb stuff so I would REALLY look smart.  All this expense.  Seven minutes.  Damn.

Jane
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ok what i can tell you..

the m60 tank used a single thickness of armor.. the M1 uses a series of plates one on top of the other. Thats all I can tell you..

Fat (45E/45N) McNasty
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What are these for?

On that Stryker, that's slat armor. Supposed to lessen the effectiveness of RPGs, but not everybody is sold on how well that works.

On the Abrams, you're looking at external stowage. That's its shopping basket for goodies. Abrams doesn't have slat armor except on TUSK-upgraded tanks, which have slat armor over the engine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Probably , not sure how it is spelled, i just remember them talking about it, when I was in the Marines. They were just starting to faze out the m60's for the Abrams. Probably should have spell cheked it, just typed it, like it sounds, Any info on it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I always liked the idea of reactive armor.  Infantry types tend to complain about it though...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I always liked the idea of reactive armor.  Infantry types tend to complain about it though...

Shouldn't be using the tank for cover anyway, damnit.

Even though I'm rather good at spotting and taking out the enemy, I always end up backing over hapless infantry using me for a shield in sims. I'd be so bad at that job.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even though I'm rather good at spotting and taking out the enemy, I always end up backing over hapless infantry using me for a shield in sims. I'd be so bad at that job.

Fortunately, they don't tend to stand directly to the rear as the exhaust has face-melting tendencies.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice pictures.

I remember someone posted some of pics of a M1 Abrabrams tank with a Coleman/Igloo ice chest on the back of the turrent.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fortunately, they don't tend to stand directly to the rear as the exhaust has face-melting tendencies.

Ah yeah... this is true.

Quoted:
Nice pictures.

I remember someone posted some of pics of a M1 Abrabrams tank with a Coleman/Igloo ice chest on the back of the turrent.

I didn't even know we had an Abrabrams, much less one with a "turrent."
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#34]
How cramped is it inside an Abrams? Is it ridiculously hot in there during the summer?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice pictures.

You can barely see my Igloo in this one.  We kept it full of PowerAde.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How cramped is it inside an Abrams? Is it ridiculously hot in there during the summer?

The newer ones have A/C for the computer equipment.  I never got to play with those, so yes it gets ungodly hot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I didn't even know we had an Abrabrams, much less one with a "turrent."

The upgraded version of the Noah and far better than the obsolescent amphibious Jonah.

Now if you could get one of those state of the art Hezekiah tanks, you'd really be set.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The newer ones have A/C for the computer equipment.  I never got to play with those, so yes it gets ungodly hot.

I could imagine it getting hot. All that steel sitting out in the sun...

Must be nice though with a new one. The ability to flatten houses, cars, other tanks, etc AND it comes with air conditioning!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be nice though with a new one. The ability to flatten houses, cars, other tanks, etc AND it comes with air conditioning!

I think Manic Moran said it's just for cooling the equipment; doesn't do much for the crew except in limited circumstances.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Manic Moran said it's just for cooling the equipment; doesn't do much for the crew except in limited circumstances.

That's probably correct, as I said, I never got to try it out myself, but its purpose is to keep the equipment functional, not for the comfort of the crew, but I've heard that its better than nothing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's probably correct, as I said, I never got to try it out myself, but its purpose is to keep the equipment functional, not for the comfort of the crew, but I've heard that its better than nothing.

I honestly find it kind of shocking they don't do A/C for crew comfort in armored vehicles.

Maybe it's just me, but I find I make quicker, more sound, better decisions and stay calm more easily when my brain is cool versus when I'm sweating my ass off and feel like I have a hair dryer on high behind my eyeballs. Just based solely on that I'd want to keep my crews air conditioned if I were in the decision-making tree.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#42]
HELLO

MY NAME IS RASHEED

I LOOK FOR VERY GOOD FRIEND FOR TELL ME OF BEST WAY TO DESTROY ABARAMS TANK

WILL YOU HELP OF ME TO ACCOMPLISH?

MANY OF THANKS TO YOU IN GODS NAME SIR

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
HELLO

MY NAME IS RASHEED

Hey Rasheed.

The best way to destroy an Abrams tank is human delivery of a car bomb. People don't know, but an Abrams can be destroyed by a single can of gasoline. Simply fill a 5-gallon container with gasoline, put nails in it (for antipersonnel), and then a wick. Light your wick just prior to detonation, and drive your old junker straight at the front of the M1 tank.

Guaranteed results, inshallah.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
HELLO

MY NAME IS RASHEED

Hey Rasheed.

The best way to destroy an Abrams tank is human delivery of a car bomb. People don't know, but an Abrams can be destroyed by a single can of gasoline. Simply fill a 5-gallon container with gasoline, put nails in it (for antipersonnel), and then a wick. Light your wick just prior to detonation, and drive your old junker straight at the front of the M1 tank.

woosh!

Did you hear that?  That was the point... flying right over your head.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#45]
double tap >.>
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HELLO

MY NAME IS RASHEED

Hey Rasheed.

woosh!

I don't think it did.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HELLO

MY NAME IS RASHEED

Hey Rasheed.

woosh!

If so, it must have passed the sarcasm in mid-air as it was flying over yours.

And if your point is "don't talk about the Abrams, OMG" nothing here has been said that can't be discovered with 2-3 minutes, a web browser, and Google.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And if your point is "don't talk about the Abrams, OMG" nothing here has been said that can't be discovered with 2-3 minutes, a web browser, and Google.

Oh, I'm aware of that.  

I just thought I'd throw a cautionary flag, this *is* the internet.  

I'd hate to see anyone help the savages, even inadvertently.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I'm aware of that.  

I just thought I'd throw a cautionary flag, this *is* the internet.  

I'd hate to see anyone help the savages, even inadvertently.

Hence my post, which should help any savage who googles it find Allah, and provide the infidels with yet another one of their "Youtube videos."
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anybody here a tanker?  Or just know some stuf about the Abrams?  I was watching the greatest tank show on the Military Channel last night and it reminded me of two questions I have always had about the Abrams.  First, why is there that bulge in the barrell of the main gun?  It seems like that would give the gasses propelling the shell a place to expand and reduce the speed  that it was traveling at.  Or is it just something "strapped" to the gun?  

Second, there are 2 spots (I think), 1 on either side of the turret, where there are 5-7 small tubes, all pointing up and out but all at different angles and in different directions.  In the pic below, look at the turret and you will see a square box thing and right behind that are the tubes.  What are those for?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/bulldog8b/m1abrams01wh9.jpg

A couple of interesting tidbits of info...While the M256A1 main gun used on on the M1A1/M1A2 series and others such as the Leopard II use a bore evacuator to keep propellant gasses out of the turret when a round is fired, the French do not.  They use a fan inside to turret to keep the turret free of residual fumes.  Others have used this method as well, but the "bore evacuator" which relies on a "high-low" pressure system to operate is by far the most popular.

As has already been answered, the grenade launchers on the side of the turret are used to create a smoke-screen in the event of needing to withdrawl to an alternate or suplimentary position.  The USMC and U.S. Army both use different types-those pictured in your OP are of the type used by the Marine Corps.  They look like a "cluster" of individual tubes, whereas the Army grenade launchers look like a large block with barrels drilled into a solid mass.  It's one of the easiest ways to distinguish a USMC from a U.S. Army Abrams.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top