User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And if your point is "don't talk about the Abrams, OMG" nothing here has been said that can't be discovered with 2-3 minutes, a web browser, and Google.

Oh, I'm aware of that.  

I just thought I'd throw a cautionary flag, this *is* the internet.  

I'd hate to see anyone help the savages, even inadvertently.

Hence my post, which should help any savage who googles it find Allah, and provide the infidels with yet another one of their "Youtube videos."

Ah, yes.  

An excellent point, indeed.   We should find some special *short*  style detonator schematics and post them as the most current and desirable design.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ya know what I dont miss.. the Octopus cable! OMG I hated that thing! That and ripping out the slip ring..

Quoted:
Fat (45E/45N) McNasty

Ah, good old motor pool de-construction/destruction......

Quite a few times, I'd be up front in the driver's compartment, trying to figure out what they'd done to hose their intercom system, and
one of your guys would be back in the turret working on something else.

"TINK, tink, tink, tink, CLUNK!" (the sound of a tool being dropped, and bouncing it's way down into the nether-regions of the turret guts)

That was my cue to haul ass, as it was about to get very noisy and the air be-fouled with imaginitive strings of foul language.....
(that, and I'd have been tempted to snicker, and would have gotten beaten with a heavy wrench! )
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ya know what I dont miss.. the Octopus cable! OMG I hated that thing! That and ripping out the slip ring..

Quoted:
Fat (45E/45N) McNasty

Quite a few times, I'd be up front in the driver's compartment, trying to figure out what they'd done to hose their intercom system, and

"TINK, tink, tink, tink, CLUNK!" (the sound of a tool being dropped, and bouncing it's way down into the nether-regions of the turret guts)

That was my cue to haul ass, as it was about to get very noisy and the air be-fouled with imaginitive strings of foul language.....
(that, and I'd have been tempted to snicker, and would have gotten beaten with a heavy wrench! )

Only time I've ever witnessed something like this...

Mechanic:  "... *pause* *grits teeth* *clenches fist* ... gggGODDD DAMN FUCKING SON OF A BITCH WHORE SHITLICKING PETER PUFFING CUNT-HEADED (rest is censored for the children)"

Whatever you do, DO NOT LAUGH.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And if your point is "don't talk about the Abrams, OMG" nothing here has been said that can't be discovered with 2-3 minutes, a web browser, and Google.

Oh, I'm aware of that.  

EGGZactaly! Its not how its made. Its the nougat filling between pannels that make it most effective..

LOL.. You should of seen the debreaf when we had a breached skirt in the field.. This was back in 88, When you still had to have a Secret clearence to work on the damn things..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fat (45E/45N) McNasty

Only time I've ever witnessed something like this...

Mechanic:  "... *pause* *grits teeth* *clenches fist* ... gggGODDD DAMN FUCKING SON OF A BITCH WHORE SHITLICKING PETER PUFFING CUNT-HEADED (rest is censored for the children)"

Whatever you do, DO NOT LAUGH.

LOL!!! so true.. I have winged tools across the motor pool in fits of rage.. Why put 100+ fucking pins in a connector that twists. You bend them ever fucking time!

Wife wont let any of the kids near me while im working on the car..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I'm aware of that.  

EGGZactaly! Its not how its made. Its the nougat filling between pannels that make it most effective..

LOL.. You should of seen the debreaf when we had a breached skirt in the field.. This was back in 88, When you still had to have a Secret clearence to work on the damn things..

Nougat filling?

[scribbles notes furiously]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How cramped is it inside an Abrams? Is it ridiculously hot in there during the summer?

Answer to question #1....yeah, for MY 6FT frame the M1 IS a "little" cramped BUT, the caveat is that I started out on the M-60 series which was like an RV with a main gun!

Answer to question #2....kinda-sorta but then (Another Caveat lol), compared to the old '60A1's I started on (Where we used to shove our gas particulate hoses into our uniforms to get some air moving around in there) not "Too" bad.  I'll additionally qualify that with the fact that I never crewed M-1's in really hot environments much (We went through NETT training on the M-1 just before I ETS'd the regular Army back in '84 and most of my time in them was spent FREEZING in the Oregon desert).

'60's on the other hand could EASILY become "Ovens" ().  I remember one FTX in FT Hood where, in the middle of a 110 degreeday we got a sudden shower (Like 3 min's of rain) and the fog that the heat of the tanks interior generated made it almost impossible to see your hand in front of your face let alone the GPS or M105D (!)

BTW, I didn't read the who;e thread and don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but that bulge (The bore-evacuator) is NOT the "end-all" to gas pouring back into the turret.  I've never crewed a tank that didn't have one (Bore-evacuator) but, even WiTH them, you're STILL suckin' down alot of nasty, amonia-smelling crap.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Ahhh love the M1a1, used to play turret fixer on them. Only reason i say play is i wasnt q'd on them. I was pushed into it when i got out of AIT as a 63B and went to a armor unit with 2 trucks sooo i played tank mechanic.   On that note the scariest thing i ever say was see someone Purge the optics, and look at the wrong nitrogen gauge Lets just say they go bang!!!! and not cheap LOL
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I remember that - very first field problem after arriving in Germany, early `87. XO's track slides into a ditch
(the roads were pure skating rink ice), peels two of the leading skirts wide open on a boulder.

I thought that the MAJ was going to have a stroke before we could cover up the damn thing with a tarp.

Then later on, the S-2 debrief.... "What did
you see?", "Why were you standing there?", blah, blah, blah..... LOL
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How cramped is it inside an Abrams? Is it ridiculously hot in there during the summer?

Answer to question #1....yeah, for MY 6FT frame the M1 IS a "little" cramped BUT, the caveat is that I started out on the M-60 series which was like an RV with a main gun!

Answer to question #2....kinda-sorta but then (Another Caveat lol), compared to the old '60A1's I started on (Where we used to shove our gas particulate hoses into our uniforms to get some air moving around in there) not "Too" bad.  I'll additionally qualify that with the fact that I never crewed M-1's in really hot environments much (We went through NETT training on the M-1 just before I ETS'd the regular Army back in '84 and most of my time in them was spent FREEZING in the Oregon desert).

'60's on the other hand could EASILY become "Ovens" ().  I remember one FTX in FT Hood where, in the middle of a 110 degreeday we got a sudden shower (Like 3 min's of rain) and the fog that the heat of the tanks interior generated made it almost impossible to see your hand in front of your face let alone the GPS or M105D (!)

BTW, I didn't read the who;e thread and don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but that bulge (The bore-evacuator) is NOT the "end-all" to gas pouring back into the turret.  I've never crewed a tank that didn't have one (Bore-evacuator) but, even WiTH them, you're STILL suckin' down alot of nasty, amonia-smelling crap.

I fired one once that had some kind of problem with the bore evacuator and would fill the turret with smoke every time you dropped the breech.  Let's just say I really came to appreciate the function that little bulge provided.  

The times I spent in them in hot environments, it actually stayed pretty cool inside until about noon, because it takes a long time for all that steel to heat up, but once it does, it can be stifling hot inside well to midnight.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember that - very first field problem after arriving in Germany, early `87. XO's track slides into a ditch

(the roads were pure skating rink ice), peels two of the leading skirts wide open on a boulder.

I thought that the MAJ was going to have a stroke before we could cover up the damn thing with a tarp.

Then later on, the S-2 debrief....
"What did

you see?", "Why were you standing there?", blah, blah, blah..... LOL
Yup! But i was the guy with the tape and the tarp trying to keep the CDAT's from looking.. God talk about rubberneckers.. Hey let me see.. let me see.. Worse than an 8 year old.. This was Graff in 88..

But I do have to throw a shout out to all the DAT's and CDAT's that I worked with/for.. And a big thanks, for the cases of beer after they ran a perfect gunnery.. I always made sure they were tip top and they always paid me off.. You were some of the best damn people to party with..

And yes, I do have the "new" spare LRF. Yes i will put it in before you go down range.. Yes I will swap out when you come off.. next tanker.. Yes I have the "new" Spare.. LOL you get the Idea.. I took care of Delta co..

/bow

/thanks

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, sounds abt right. Our 'skirt ripping' incident was at Hohenfels.

Who were you with over in Germany?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yep, sounds abt right. Our 'skirt ripping' incident was at Hohenfels.

Who were you with over in Germany?

HHC 1/68 8th ID.. Wildflecken! top of the rock!
late 87-90

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always liked the idea of reactive armor.  Infantry types tend to complain about it though...

Shouldn't be using the tank for cover anyway, damnit.

Even though I'm rather good at spotting and taking out the enemy, I always end up backing over hapless infantry using me for a shield in sims. I'd be so bad at that job.

It's going to happen. Infantry and tanks were meant for each other. Tanks without infantry are dead. Infantry without tanks? Well, they can hide in buildings and duck into foxholes..no tank can do that.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not.

This is what a "NIW" AAV would look like.

Still in the wrapper...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always liked the idea of reactive armor.  Infantry types tend to complain about it though...

Even though I'm rather good at spotting and taking out the enemy, I always end up backing over hapless infantry using me for a shield in sims. I'd be so bad at that job.

It's going to happen. Infantry and tanks were meant for each other. Tanks without infantry are dead. Infantry without tanks? Well, they can hide in buildings and duck into foxholes..no tank can do that.

Sure they can, you just need a TC who can get really creative with using his terrain.

Actually, that's how I always end up flattening friendly infantry.

Spot and engage a target, spot another couple within firing range (on me), ram it into reverse and duck behind something or slide back down into a low spot in the terrain while delivering a follow-up shot and calling out the remainder to somebody else. And then notice I just pancaked one or two of my support guys who were using me for cover because there was a sniper on some roof.

Heh heh heh, uh... whoops. Fortunately in a sim somebody can just pull your guys back out of the ether and stick them back on the field.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fortunately, they don't tend to stand directly to the rear as the exhaust has face-melting tendencies.

I wonder who's bright idea it was to put that phone/commo right on the back of the tank, so if you're a ground-pounder who wants to communicate with the tank through that method, you gotta stand right behind him.  How many guys do you think are going to have the last words of "don't back u..." (crunch)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fortunately, they don't tend to stand directly to the rear as the exhaust has face-melting tendencies.

I wonder who's bright idea it was to put that phone/commo right on the back of the tank, so if you're a ground-pounder who wants to communicate with the tank, you gotta stand right behind him.  How many guys do you think are going to have the last words of "don't back u..." (crunch)

Well, realistically you're probably a hell of a lot less likely to get shot full of holes hanging out behind a tank rather than in front or on the sides.

Just make sure the tank knows you're there, especially with modern tanks where they can GTFO backwards pretty quickly if the need arises.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why not.

This is what a "NIW" AAV would look like.

Still in the wrapper...

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8232/1000858j.jpg
Oh man, how I would love to have one of those...

The Ultimate camper...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Since that was so easy for you guys, what do you know about cavim armor? I know it is top secret stuff. I am not interested in  what its made of, just how it works. Is it reactive like the old armor plates on the M60 tank? or  does it absorb impacts, or do they bounce off? anyone know?

Years ago I saw some highly detailed papers that showed what Chobham armor looked like and how it worked. It was too professional looking and looked too specific and logical for it to have been fake, so I've not reason to doubt what I saw was real. From what I remember about the the layers, they'd absorb, slow down and spread out impacts. So like HEAT rounds would get disrupted and spread out and Sabots would get absorbed and shattered.

You know, what I'm just gonna say it... The armor on the diagrams looked like a like whacked out layers of plates and rods, many of which were at weird angles. I think I remember seeing a rubber layer too.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since that was so easy for you guys, what do you know about cavim armor? I know it is top secret stuff. I am not interested in  what its made of, just how it works. Is it reactive like the old armor plates on the M60 tank? or  does it absorb impacts, or do they bounce off? anyone know?

Years ago I saw some highly detailed papers that showed what Chobham armor looked like and how it worked. It was too professional looking and looked too specific and logical for it to have been fake, so I've not reason to doubt what I saw was real. From what I remember about the the layers, they'd absorb, slow down and spread out impacts. So like HEAT rounds would get disrupted and spread out and Sabots would get absorbed and shattered.

You know, what I'm just gonna say it... The armor on the diagrams looked like a like whacked out layers of plates and rods, many of which were at weird angles. I think I remember seeing a rubber layer too.

Its the nougat filling between pannels that make it most effective..

and thats not it!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chobham = particle board made of ceramic and metal.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chobham = particle board made of ceramic and metal.

That's sort of a good way to describe what I saw... nearly ten years ago.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:20:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The newer ones have A/C for the computer equipment.  I never got to play with those, so yes it gets ungodly hot.

I could imagine it getting hot. All that steel sitting out in the sun...

Must be nice though with a new one. The ability to flatten houses, cars, other tanks, etc AND it comes with air conditioning!

I think Manic Moran said it's just for cooling the equipment; doesn't do much for the crew except in limited circumstances.

it gets the inside about 20 degrees cooler, which is about how much hotter it is inside the turret than the outside temp anyway.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nice pictures.

I remember someone posted some of pics of a M1 Abrabrams tank with a Coleman/Igloo ice chest on the back of the turrent.

no self respecting tanker will go out the wire in 120+ degrees without a cooler on board.  we would be drinking boiling hot water if we didnt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I fired one once that had some kind of problem with the bore evacuator and would fill the turret with smoke every time you dropped the breech. Let's just say I really came to appreciate the function that little bulge provided.

There are nomoving parts in a bore evac. Either the casing was fractured (In which case it would probably have exploded), or someone forgot to clean it before use.

NTM
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I fired one once that had some kind of problem with the bore evacuator and would fill the turret with smoke every time you dropped the breech. Let's just say I really came to appreciate the function that little bulge provided.

There are nomoving parts in a bore evac. Either the casing was fractured (In which case it would probably have exploded), or someone forgot to clean it before use.

NTM

Yeah, I hotbedded another platoon's tank during a gunner and grease plugged the hole inside the evacuator and it smoked us out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top