Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 3:50:30 AM EDT
I had some .308 ammo buried in a corner of my garage I didn't know about.

When I was moving I found this large pile of caked mud that used to be a cardboard box.  It was 1000 round of .308 and now it was just a huge pile of caked dirt with cartridges bured in it.

I broke it apart and threw all the rounds in a box, but they will require a bit of cleaning just to get the crap off of them.  Some of that stuff is like cement.

Shootable after cleaning?  Best way to clean?

I'll try to add a pic of some of the rounds later.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:53:48 AM EDT
[#1]
tumble it
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:56:44 AM EDT
[#2]
edit... Durrrrr... Tumble it...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Whenever something weird happens to ammo that I didn't want, like excessive heat or moisture, I just make sure those are range rounds, and not loaded for self defense.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:08:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Whenever something weird happens to ammo that I didn't want, like excessive heat or moisture, I just make sure those are range rounds, and not loaded for self defense.

This.

Try cleaning the really hard-caked stuff with lighter fluid. Tumble the rest.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Give a couple of rounds to a friend to try. If nothing bad happens, shoot the rest yourself.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Tumble live ammo?  I thought that was a no no.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Its fine, you can tumble it.

The ammo should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Give a couple of rounds to a friend democrat to try. If nothing bad happens, shoot the rest yourself.

Fixed it.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its fine, you can tumble it.

The ammo should be fine.
oh, that avatar is priceless! I miss those old bugs bunny cartoons! LMAO

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#11]
1K rounds of .308 buried in the corner of your garage that you just completely forgot about, eh?

I'll have to add that one to my "you might be a gun nut if..." list!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I would not tumble loaded ammo.  Powders size, shape and coatings are what control the burn rate.  You could conceivably turn the powder from something similar to 4046 to bullseye.  A wipe down with a wet cloth would not hurt it.  

If you decide to tumble it, please post pictures of what used to be your firearm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top