Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a guy tell me today that the reason no one can get primers right now is because they are being reformulated so that they deactivate or decompose after a few months or whatever. This is to prevent people from stockpiling ammunition or being able to make their own if the HopeyChangeys want it stopped.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had a guy tell me today that the reason no one can get primers right now is because they are being reformulated so that they deactivate or decompose after a few months or whatever. This is to prevent people from stockpiling ammunition or being able to make their own if the HopeyChangeys want it stopped.

Come on.  You are smarter than that.

This was at a gun show, right?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Ammo is available more and more around here, but it's slow.

9mm is what can't be bought at Walmart right now, and me with my new SR9.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
AR-15 .22lr upper FTW.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How do we get rid of guns? Simple, raise the price of ammunition to a level that new shooters to the sport can’t or won’t justify spending 50 cents a bullet (and that’s cheap now days) to go practice. As a matter of fact it has already started and is working extremely well. Many if not most of the younger people that I have introduced into the shooting sport over the past twenty five years have told me no longer go target practicing or are participating in any sanctioned competitions because the high cost of the ammo. I don’t know if anything can ever be done to return from the current 4 to 500 dollars per thousand and bring ammo prices to eight year ago levels of 1000 rounds of 223 for $98 bucks. I believe the industry will end up doing to it’s self what the Democratic Congress couldn’t.

Rats

Indeed. The high cost of ammo is preventing me from going shooting. The only option for cheap ammo is .22 if you are under 18. There are some cheap rounds, like 7.62x25 and 9x18, but you have to be 21 to buy them... (unless you can calim you have a PPSH-41 or something).

And I don't really consider 9x19 and 7.62x39 that cheap... $300 or so for 1000. Not really that affordable for younger people. Add in the $12 range fees and everything else, and it really is expensive to get into.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is an urban legend that won't seem to die. The reason for the primer shortage is the same reason as the ammo shortage. Ammo manufacturers need primers too and they are the first on the list to get them because of contracts, profits, etc. Primers for the general market are provided only after the ammo market gets them. Primer availability will naturally lag behind ammo availability. We're seeing a slow comeback in ammo supplies so we can expect primers to follow shortly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AR-15 .22lr upper FTW.

I bought one, just for that reason.  However, I have not seen any .22LR ammo for sale since December.  The Wal-Mart guy just laughed when I asked about .22 –– said it's not that people buy it as soon as it hits the shelves, but that it's been months since he has had any to put on the shelves.

I did find some .22LR at Cabela's last month –– Eley Match, $15 for 50 rounds.  No thanks.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IF nothing else changes, the market will adjust and we'll be back to normal. We'll first see the supply to begin to come back. Many of us are already seeing this take place. Then, once the supply reaches some semblance of equilibrium, the prices will adjust accordingly.

one more thing: If we quit shooting off 5.5 million rounds per month overseas, it will reach equilibrium faster.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't believe ammo prices will drop all that much even if supply catches up with demand. This is called inflation. Have you been to the store lately to buy food. Sure when fuel costs shot up to $5 gal for diesel all the produce prices shot up. Then diesel went back down to $2 gal and produce prices remained the same. Now fuel is going back up so guess what else is going up even further, yep produce and everything else.
Once prices go up they don't ever return to previous levels.
And you have the obongo admin......sigh......need I say more.
I reload my ammo and I like to shoot but even reloading components are expensive when you can find them
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't believe ammo prices will drop all that much even if supply catches up with demand. This is called inflation. Have you been to the store lately to buy food. Sure when fuel costs shot up to $5 gal for diesel all the produce prices shot up. Then diesel went back down to $2 gal and produce prices remained the same. Now fuel is going back up so guess what else is going up even further, yep produce and everything else.
I reload my ammo and I like to shoot but even reloading components are expensive when you can find them

Prices won't go back to where they were, and they might not drop at all.  But supply WILL go back to normal or near normal.

Why is it that bubble after bubble happens yet people still think THAT product won't behave in the same way as previous bubbles?  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dude.

Duuuuuuude...

This was one of those occasions where you're talking with a near-total stranger and the conversation suddenly goes lateral on you - and you begin to wonder when the last time this guy had whatever medication it is he's lacking. No sudden movements, etc.

I just said, "Is that right?" and started talking about bikes or puppies or Optimus Prime or something.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The jump in ammo prices is NOT the industry's fault... And SO FAR (and that's a big qualifier), it's not the fault of any DIRECT action by the administration.

It's simple economics. An overwhelming demand for ammo took place virtually overnight due to the fear that Obama would push through restrictive regulations. The first round of demand cleared the shelves and when people who waited a few days went to buy, they found none. This caused even more fear, so even more people began to buy even more ammo (to stock up), if and when they could find it. The cycle perpetuated itself. Naturally, the price shot up due to high demand.

IF nothing else changes, the market will adjust and we'll be back to normal. We'll first see the supply to begin to come back. Many of us are already seeing this take place. Then, once the supply reaches some semblance of equilibrium, the prices will adjust accordingly.

Of course all bets are off is something does change (talk of new regulations, etc.). Then it'll start all over again.

He knows too much truth and must be silenced!!!  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.

Duuuuuuude...

This was one of those occasions where you're talking with a near-total stranger and the conversation suddenly goes lateral on you - and you begin to wonder when the last time this guy had whatever medication it is he's lacking. No sudden movements, etc.

I just said, "Is that right?" and started talking about bikes or puppies or Optimus Prime or something.

I was hoping my sarcasm meter was working properly.  You are one of the few on here that remains sane and logical most of the time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.

Duuuuuuude...

I was hoping my sarcasm meter was working properly.  You are one of the few on here that remains sane and logical most of the time.

All hail and bow down to mighty Sherrick!

Be back in a minute with a new sig line. Thanks, Sherrick!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
every walmart in my area is overflowing with 9mm wwb, and .40 wwb.  It's gettin better.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the range you shoot at as busy as it was pre-Obama?

Mine is nearly all mine most of the time. Ammo prices have a lot to do with it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Which senator was it that advocated taxing guns 10,000% to make them impossible to buy?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's a conspiracy?

He's got 300 posts, I don't believe any information that comes from someone with more than 50 posts.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a conspiracy?

He's got 300 posts, I don't believe any information that comes from someone with more than 50 posts.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Which senator was it that advocated taxing guns 10,000% to make them impossible to buy?

It is a testament to the safety of our 2A rights that all that can be said for that proposal is "which senator was it?"

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

close, its actually called hysteresis. Same idea though - but I'd be willing to say ammo prices will come down significantly. Not as cheap as before, but down for sure
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I just read a description of a defensive handgun course in Virginia (sorry...can't remember where it was) that said you had to have 1200 rounds of ammo.

Two things popped into my head: 1. Unless you already have it on hand, where ya gonna find the ammo these days?  2. At the current jacked-up prices, who can afford it even if you could find it?

I haven't gone shooting in months because I refuse to dip below my current level of ammo.
I'm about there myself.

I had a decent bit stored away and went shooting a few times (55gr. FMJ Remington UMC). Fired about 200 rounds.

Then I saw the same ammo for 26 dollars for a 20 rd. box at a couple of local stores!

I could have come close to buying a .22 conversion kit for the $$$ I wasted shooting that ammo!

Heck, .22lr is all I'm going to shoot anymore anyway. I have a conversion for my 1911s, 2 single action .22 revolvers, 3 semi-auto .22 pistols, and  4 .22 rifles.

At least .12ga shotgun shells don't appear to be scarce or overpriced. What's funny is that some shotgun shells use almost as much brass as .223 cases, they use a bigger primer, a lot of lead, and they tend to use a good bit of powder as well.

This leads me to believe that the price of brass, copper and lead have little to do with the lack of ammo availability.

The real reason for the shortage is people have been buying it up as soon as it becomes available, and are willingly paying the freakishly high prices.

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see $100 cases of .223 again. But I'd gladly snap them up at $200.

Heck, I paid $350 a case for PMC the day after the election and was glad to do it. I wish I had bought more.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't shoot much anymore due to ammo prices, I also will not shoot the ammo I have on hand. If and when I hit the range it's usually 22's or I'll buy a box or two of ammo and shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#24]
i already stated my mind on "the end of the gun era" in the US.

Let a law pass to make insurance mandatory for every gun owner. something you'll never think it could harm.

somebody will think it's even fair. "heck, i already have one.. "

This will obviously require you to inform the ins. company of each and every firearm owned. # and all. that's trick #1.

Just wait some few months and you'll see prices of said insurances skyrocket, more than anyone would likely pay.

you're done.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Take the children and yourself
And hide out in the cellar
By now the fighting will be close at hand
Don't believe the church and state
And everything they tell you
Believe in me, Im with the high command

Can you hear me, can you hear me running?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?

There's a gun and ammunition
Just inside the doorway
Use it only in emergency

Better you should pray to god
The father and the spirit
Will guide you and protect from up here

Swear allegiance to the flag
Whatever flag they offer
Never hint at what you really feel
Teach the children quietly
For some day sons and daughters
Will rise up and fight while we stood still
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Let's hope in a couple of months that ammo will stabilize to pre-election prices.  Many people have bought firearms since the election and are still buying up ammo.  Soon, they will "have enough" and us who know better will be able to buy at better prices.  7.62 X 39 has gone up $50 per 500 and when that starts to decrease we will know that it is time to stock pile again.  The local Wal-Mart is now carrying ammo that only a few months ago was non-existant.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Eventually this ammo bubble will pop. Once people stop buying all of it off the shelves, the prices will go back down. Look at the housing market
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#28]
im a young shooter, and i have taken up casting boolits.
makes 9mm cost me 30-40$ per 1K to shoot.
i take new people all the time, on my dime, as i want to spread the sport. i am usually successful
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top