Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/13/2009 9:23:40 PM EDT
I hear magazines referred to as clips all the time from people who are not educated with firearms. How bad does this bother you?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
it bothers me
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
its annoying, and ill help em out if its appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
only bothers me when fudds/hunters do it, mainly because they don't know that there are stripper clips for magazines

or when there are clips and magazines around at the same time, as it can be confusing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Before i was a member of Arfcom not really. Now i get a nervous twitch every time i hear it especially in movies.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
heard an Army SSG speaking about the "15 shot clip" for his M1 Carbine.

I was pissed. It only really bugs me when people who claim they know what they're doing say shit that makes no sense.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#6]
If shit like this bothers you, you're sweating the small stuff...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Only since I started hanging out here.  So i'm not sure if they have the problem, or I do.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah but it didn't till i started coming to this site.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, but no more than all the other typical mistakes people make, such as using me/I improperly.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#10]
doesn't bother me

but I know for many others ................................................... [xbox-Halo]KILLING SPREE[/xbox-Halo]

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Not at all.

I work on helicopters and people call them choppers. Now that bugs me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Not much.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Not so much. I do make a concious effort to call mags - mags, not clips.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Knowing the difference separates the men from the boys....

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#15]
A minor annoyance, that reeks of
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Drives me fucking crazy.

Whenever I talk to somebody and they say "clip" when they mean "magazine", their credibility goes right out the window.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Drives me fucking crazy.

Whenever I talk to somebody and they say "clip" when they mean "magazine", their credibility goes right out the window.

+1

Best poser litmus test in the gun world.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#18]
No, people that get all anal about it bother me more.  Say clip if you want to, it's a popular term, I know what you are saying.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drives me fucking crazy.

+1

If its someone I feel just doesn't understand or has seen too many movies, I'll explain/show them the difference. But, for the Vietnam sniper space shuttle door gunner's, I just smile and walk away.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drives me fucking crazy.

+1

Hardly. I've said clip many times just to be sarcastic and watch someones reaction. Sometimes
I'll even call a magazine a detachable, spring loaded, ammunition feeding device.

Bigger fish to fry and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, people that get all anal about it bother me more.  Say clip if you want to, it's a popular term, I know what you are saying.

this ^

SSDGs ( tactical nonemclature nazis ) get bent out of shape, fun to watch their head explode. If its a friend or a newb, I might  correct them. But as far as the average guy on the range or gun counter, can care less.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#22]
The last guy I knew who routinely used the word "clip" to refer to a pistol magazine was a 12 year Special Forces veteran.

Next time I see him, I will be sure to let him know that some guys on the internet have figured out he is a poser.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I used to get the terms mixed up all the time.

Then I was told that a clip goes in your hair, so now I can remember.  I don't think it makes a difference, but then I have been there and confused by it as well.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then I was told that a clip goes in your hair, so now I can remember.  I don't think it makes a difference, but then I have been there and confused by it as well.  

Very few weapon systems have clips AND detachable magazines, and those that do, people rarely call the clips just "clip."
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The last guy I knew who routinely used the word "clip" to refer to a pistol magazine was a 12 year Special Forces veteran.

Net time I see him, I will be sure to let him know that some guys on the internet have figured out he is a poser.

He obviously wasn't part of the 87th Chairborne Battalion.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Drives me nuts.  I cringe when I hear it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this ^

SSDGs ( tactical nonemclature nazis ) get bent out of shape, fun to watch their head explode. If its a friend or a newb, I might  correct them. But as far as the average guy on the range or gun counter, can care less.

Couldn't care less. That's another one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Yup.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I use it as an indicator for how knowledgeable the individual is about firearms.

A clip is used to feed ammunition into a firearms magazine.
A Magazine is used to feed ammunition into a firearm chamber.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very few weapon systems have clips AND detachable magazines, and those that do, people rarely call the clips just "clip."
That was what confused me, I know that a Garand has a clip, so I would get baffled that others weren't clips as well.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope I could care less...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That was what confused me, I know that a Garand has a clip, so I would get baffled that others weren't clips as well.

You have to go back historically to really understand the issue.  Clips were developed to load magazines.  The area where you slide the Garand clip is called a magazine.

Even before clips, you could individually load built-in magazines and store several rounds in a rifle.  Many older rifles had switches where you could either single load or have the bolt pick up the next round in the magazine when you worked the action.

For all intents and purposes, the act of of inserting a pistol magazine into is the same as loading a Garand clip into the rifle.  Where the pedantic types get upset seems to be the fact that the clip is an essentially open device, whereas the magaizine fully encloses the ammunition.

In the case of M16/AR15 mags, ammunition often comes on true clips, which can be used to quickly load the magazines.  In this case, it is possible to cause confusion by using the wrong term.  Most often the confusion is avoided by calling the clips "stripper clips."

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Apes shit...

Not really.
But I am sure someone else will point it out for me..
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Guy at work is a gun guy and uses clips to refer to magazines.

It bothers me in that all this time no one has corrected him because he is knowledgeable about guns and in all our conversations hes got his shit together.... just not the mag vs. clip thing.

I may bring it up one day.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+1000
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Doesn't bother me, but I'll correct someone, and explain the differences between a clip and a mag, if I hear them misuse the word.  Most people just go by what they hear in movies and on the news, and those aren't exactly vetted sources of concrete facts.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#37]
i know some guys that are big into guns, but still call mags clips. It bothers me, but not a whole lot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Kind of depends on who is saying it.  If its a person trying to be gangster (of any race) and trying to sound cool by saying clip, then yes it bugs the hell out of me.

Everyone else gets a pass as just being uneducated, but not annoying.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#39]
If Nancy Pelosi and all the libtards wouldnt say clip all the time it wouldnt bother me. Now when i hear someone say clip it drives me up a wall
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I could care less what people call them.

It's a mute point to me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Nah. I call a magazine a magazine ; everybody else can call it whatever the hell they feel like calling it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this ^

this actually may bug people even more.

when someone says can or could care less when they mean to say couldnt care less.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#43]
It used to irritate me, now I just use it as a clue to whether or not someone knows what they're talking about in training.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:46:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#45]
An airsofter once refered to a magazine as a clip. I ate his liver with fava beans and a nice chianti.
SSLLLLLLLUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPP.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:47:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I hear magazines referred to as clips all the time from  by people who are not educated with about firearms. How bad does this bother you?

Not as much as poor English skills does.

Educating people "with" firearms usually means somebody or something is going to get at least one new hole before the lesson is over.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:50:24 AM EDT
[#47]
It only bothers me when people who should know the difference, don't.  Other than that I leave the idiots and their nomenclature alone.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:51:57 AM EDT
[#48]
I couldn't give a shit.  I know what they mean when they say it.  I've heard soldiers call them clips.  Who cares.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Don't bother me, now hand me that 30rnd nanner clip laying next to that soldier of fortune magazine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:52:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Not at all.

I work on helicopters and people call them choppers. Now that bugs me.

But "Get to da HELLEECOPTAAA!!!" just doesn't have the same ring to it...;)

Mag vs clip used to bug me, but now I just don't care.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top