Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2002 12:15:44 PM EDT
What do you suggest doing around the island(besides snorkeling/diving)
-ps  I like to drink.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I was there on a cruise.  We were sick of the whole shopping/ begging thing by this point (our 3rd island on the cruise).  So we decided to do a Jeep Safari.  We were in a line of 10 Wranglers with a guide in front and behind.  They took us out into the jungle on this dirt/mud road to a little ruins area and then to a secluded beach for a authentic mexican lunch.  The beach was awesome (perfect water and sand), the food was good (VERY authentic), and they encouraged you to have fun in the Jeeps.  I had the Jeep completely in the air and the guide just gave me a thumbs up.  One guy even lost control and wound up 20 feet off trail.  They pulled the jeep out, collected the parts that had fallen off, and we were on our way again.  I highly recomend this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Any of the resorts will have lists of stuff to do.  I've never been to Cozumel, but I was right across the way in Playa del Carmen.  They had all sorts of excursions.  Jungle/beach horseback riding, ATV jungle tours, Jeep tours, speed boating, etc.  Have fun!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
they have really good deep sea fishing too.  When you come back, they fillet it and your hotel will cook it for you for a small fee

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I was there last January, for a cruise...

I was burnt to a crisp while snorkling on the first day, and then hit the beaches on the 2nd day!

While the reefs were beautiful, I was very disappointed with the rest of the island.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If you like cigars, be sure to visit the Havana Club for some guaranteed authentic Cubans.  Carlos & Charlie's is also a good place to have lunch.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
We rented a Vespa and rode around the island on the one circular road that is there. Stopped on the far side beaches, and played for a while, (no people), but the beaches on that side had big clumps of tar on them from an off shore oil spill :(
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#7]
mmmmmmmmmm crude oil......
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The Naked Turtle Beach.
The National park.
Carlos and Charlies.
The beaches.
The downtown restaraunts.
I go every year,
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Now, up the road towards Cancun from Cozumel is the coolest thing I have ever seen...a partly closed lagoon with tame wild fish, giant rays, and such. The water is part fresh, and part salt, and you can snorkel in it. 15 foot rays and parrot fish swim right up to you. There is also a Mayan ruin close by. The place is called Xel Ha, pronounced Shell Ha, and is a National Park of some sort. Absolutely the most amazing thing I ever saw in Mexico.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
The island isn't that big (if I remember, about 25 miles in diameter.  San Miguel is the "capital" and only "real" town (where all the ships and tourist come in.  Carlos and Charlies is always good for drinking, and the discos stay open till 5 a.m.  The island is flat, and has only one "main" paved road that circles the island.  Not much to see, pretty flat with alot of garbage on the road when you head out of town.  If you're into T and A, take a ferry over onto that, jeez, forgot the name (Cancun,thats it!), but it's a big resort with all the college kids.  Used to do alot of diving down there, but it was 10 years ago, so some things might have changed.  If you rent a vehicle, be careful and don't hit anybody, or you adventure can really begin.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
no, but i flew over it on my way to jamaica,now, all we did was drink and eat on the beach, for get all that other bullshit, a vacation should be relaxing not tiring and all that...just chill mon!!!!evryting iry!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I was there in 91 and would love to go back....Carlos and Charles rocks, literally.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I have to agree with Hannah_Reitsch, Xel Ha is awesome.  If you go, spend the whole day there or else you will feel rushed.  For an additional $90US per person, you can swim with dolphins for an hour.  Seems steep, BUT IT IS WORTH IT!!!  Tres Rios is another fun place, but again, spend the whole day and get an all inclusive package...the food was awesome and the Cuervo comes in slightly smaller versions of congnac glasses.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#14]
we will fer sure check out carlos/charlies-have heard quite a bit about it.  I am not sure, but a friend just stoped there (was on a cruise) and he bought a shot for his wife- the bar mistress comes over and grabs the wifes boobies and shakes her- while doing the shot.  Gues its some sort of ritual.  Where do I apply....
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool place but I will never go back, Montezuma's revenge just about killed me! I stick to the West Indies now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Carlos and Charlies was about the best place we found there.  You can also snorkel/scuba and see the plane they sank in Thunderball (it was right outside our hotel).

We got to know the concierge (i.e. local) and went to play roundball w/him and his friends (they were GOOD).  It was the only place I've found 25 cent cokes in bottles.  We bought everyone a 'round'.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
been there, loved it.  Just got back from 6 weeks down there...

You can catch a ferry to del Carmen and then catch a bus to Tulum or Chichen Itza and see some wonderful Mayan ruins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top