Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2002 10:53:14 AM EDT
[url]www.marssociety.org/content/marspetition.asp[/url]

This petition is for a manned mission to mars and will be presented to the president in 2004. Plesae sign it, and could a moderator please tack this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Signed and btt
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#2]
signed it
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Done.  (And thanks for the heads-up)

On to Europa, Mars and the stars !
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Signed it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
and shamelessly I "BLT"

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Signed!

Although I just watched "Capricorn 1" and might be suspicious of a Mars landing.[;)]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This should make for interesting debate:

[i]"We call upon the [b]leaders of the world[/b] to commit to the immediate human exploration of Mars."[/i]

[b]
1) Who would pay for the bulk of this effort?

2) Does this mean it would be overseen by the UN?

Looking way into the future...

3) Would eventual American colonists/settlers on Mars give up their Constitutional rights (including RKBA)?

4) Would Mars be a "gun-free zone"?

5) Would the racial/ethnic/gender make-up of those who desire to colonize Mars be "controlled" by the UN, in the name of DIVERSITY, so as to avoid any one group (i.e. "white men") from becoming a majority.
[/b]

Just a little fodder for discussion.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I like space stuff as much as the next guy but, not until there exists a national security interest on Mars.  That is not what our government is for.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, whatever. I got nothing better to do. Signed, have fun on mars guys, but that gravity will completely jack up all my ballistic charts.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Done.

Actually, this is a big thing for me, too. IMHO, one of the biggest problems we have today is no more frontiers to conquer, while still having a population that prides itself on conquering new areas-can you say frustration? I think a lot of crime these days is do to subverted aggression. YMMV

Nick
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
signed it

I just must say one thing we spend billions of dollars on space when ever we have not explored the earth to the fullest. Can we get to the bottom of the deepest part of the ocean yet? There are still animal in the ocean that we have not found yet.

There are a lot more medicines that are now being found in the ocean's to cure disease. This is not flame on going to Mars it's just why are we not finding everything about are planet first then other planets? Just a thought
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#13]
signed it, If we are ever going to leave our solar system, we have to take to first step. A Mars base is key to exploring the universe. Probably not in our lifetimes but maybe in our grandchildrens.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
signed it

I just must say one thing we spend billions of dollars on space when ever we have not explored the earth to the fullest. Can we get to the bottom of the deepest part of the ocean yet? There are still animal in the ocean that we have not found yet.

There are a lot more medicines that are now being found in the ocean's to cure disease. This is not flame on going to Mars it's just why are we not finding everything about are planet first then other planets? Just a thought
View Quote

And an excellent thought.

Why not try this approach - continue to search here on earth while also looking on Mars or Europa or......??

Parallel searches - not serial.  Should get more searching done and faster.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Just to let you guys know, it says world leaders because the Mars Society is international, but not associated with the UN.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I will not be signing and I recommend that others do not sign as well.  I do not have a problem with others spending their own money on a mission to Mars.  I do have a problem with people calling for government to steal the money of others for this purpose.  I also believe that an International Mission To Mars will turn out far worse than the International Space Station.

Francisco
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I signed it, but feel we need to get ships to Europa ASAP.

There is VERY good evidense a saltwater ocean exists under all of the ice, and being liquid water above freezing, it MIGHT support life.

Even if it's only plankton, if we can find it in our own backyard, I feel there will be a good chance other life exsits somewhere in an infinate universe.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#18]
A manned mission to mars will NOT be international. I agree that it would be a bigger fiasco then the ISS, but this is the petition that is going to the President of the US.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just to let you guys know, it says world leaders because the Mars Society is international, but not associated with the UN.
View Quote

What laws or treaties govern the International Space Station?  Probably international law (i.e. UN)

Wouldn't that be a precedent for the Mars Colony?

I have no problem going to Mars. . . as long as [b]we[/b] do it to plant an American flag.

If we put up the money, or continue to subsidize the other nations that also put up token amounts towards Mars exploration, we should have final say in how Mars will be used.

I think these debates occured wrt the moon back in the sixties also.  Anyone know how we handled it back then?  Was it decided that the moon was covered by "international" (i.e. UN) laws?

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#21]
How the ISS is goverened depends on what part of it you are in. The Destiny lab, and the Nodes are all American teritory, as well as the truss and power systems. The Russian componets are Russian. Of course when you are up their that becomes a rather moot point.

As for an international mission, the fact of the matter is it will be the US, or private industries. The new head of NASA was chossen because he has stated that the ISS is such a fiasco because it went international. By the way, it was going to be an American station called Freedom until Clinton decided to use it as a way to funnel money to the former USSR.

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A manned mission to mars will NOT be international. I agree that it would be a bigger fiasco then the ISS, but this is the petition that is going to the President of the US.
View Quote
If this is an international organization and the petition includes the words "We call upon the leaders of the world...", why is it only going to the president of the US?

Francisco
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Signed and BTT
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
If this is an international organization and the petition includes the words "We call upon the leaders of the world...", why is it only going to the president of the US?

Francisco
View Quote

Probably because if we go the United States will contribute most of the money.

(Perhaps other petitions in other countries will go to those countries leaders ?)
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Signed!

Although I just watched "Capricorn 1" and might be suspicious of a Mars landing.[;)]
View Quote

g. hound,
glad you remembered that movie.
Had to love the ending.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Signed
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Think I already signed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top