Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2009 9:26:51 AM EDT
Reading the drama unfolding from Madonna's court battle in adopting another child, makes me wonder if Americans favoring adoption of children from Africa rather than from American is just another form of white guilt? Or maybe 'class guilt' ?

I don't get it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's for one main reason.

Hollywood does it, so it's trendy.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#2]
They're like celebrity beanie-babies. Its a fashion statement. The next step up from a purse dog.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't stand Madonna and I don't give a shit if she adopts kids from other countries. That's just my .02.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#4]
That's part of the premise behind "The Goode Family".  Google it, sort of funny
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]
madonna is a crotch bag and to those types adopting a colored kid it is like getting or picking out a puppy.Let them get adopted in their own third world.She or other stars wants one just go to Detrot or Gary Indianna ......the street rats will sell you one
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I dunno.

I see adoption as working to improve the lives of the adoptees.

Taking someone out of the shithole that is africa could be seen as the ulitmate  example/
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I dunno.

Taking someone out of the shithole that is africa could be seen as the ulitmate  example/

Taking someone out of any crime-ridden city in American could be very helpful also.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#8]
FAR cheaper and easier than adopting from the US. THAT is why. Have a friend that adopted a kid from Russia. They couldn't even get on the list here, so they went foreign.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno.

Taking someone out of any crime-ridden city in American could be very helpful also.

And a better thing to do IMO.   I dont care what color kid someone decides to adopt, but take care of your own first.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I say the kids are better off staying in Africa than being raised by Madonna....  seriously

You can bet the adopted brats of B. Pitt will be be in detox within 12 years.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Too many horror stories of birth parents trying to get their kids back when you adopt in the US.

Easier - and cheaper! -  to adopt a foreign child.

Av.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno.

Very expensive and time consuming.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#13]
God forbid these morons adopt an American child, not like there are thousands of them. That just proves most people are idiots.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Too many horror stories of birth parents trying to get their kids back when you adopt in the US.

Av.

Still cost at least $15K to adopt a Chinese baby girl.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#15]
"I gave him a traditional African-American name... O.J."
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

God forbid these morons adopt an American child, not like there are thousands of them. That just proves most people are idiots.

Can't read I take it?

IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE AND TIME CONSUMING TO ADOPT AMERICAN ORPHANS. THEY BIRTH PARENTS CAN SUE YOU LATER. WHY BOTHER.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Av.

You know how much for an American Baby girl?

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

FAR cheaper and easier than adopting from the US.

Yup.

I'm glad I got adopted before the nanny state made it a herculean task.

If a white couple wants to adopt a black kid in the US they are likely SOL. Racist groups like The National Association of Black Social Workers are dead opposed to interracial adoption. They'd rather have a black kid doomed to bounce from foster home to foster home than dilute the base of their identity politics.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Celebrity status symbol. "Look at me.  I'm soooo magnanimous that I adopt poor African orphan kids."
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

FAR cheaper and easier than adopting from the US. THAT is why. Have a friend that adopted a kid from Russia. They couldn't even get on the list here, so they went foreign.

Same.

One of my instructors adopted twin girls from China.  When asked why he didnt do it in the states, this was his response.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They're like celebrity beanie-babies. Its a fashion statement. The next step up from a purse dog.

I am sickened at the truth of your observations.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same.

One of my instructors adopted twin girls from China.  When asked why he didnt do it in the states, this was his response.  

They didn't want to have monthly inspections of their $600K home to ensure they were properly taking care of their little ward of the state.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno.

And a better thing to do IMO.   I dont care what color kid someone decides to adopt, but take care of your own first.

It doesn't get you in the news as much, when you don't have much else going on in your career.

ETA:  meaning celebrities
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

yup

it's easier to get a kid from overseas than it is to get a dog from a shelter here.

also, an American kid that is up for adoption is fairly likely to be the offspring of someone who smoked, drank, and did drugs while pregnant. (same goes for Russian kids)

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same.

This. Its pretty much impossible to adopt a Canadian or US child, especially if we are talking about white parents adopting a white child. Folks attempting to adopt either go to China, and be subject to whatever official requires bribes,  Mexico or South America, where everything is under the table, or from Russia, where a lot of the kids are pretty screwed up from their orphanage experiences.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#27]
No a form of stupidity.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

No a form of stupidity.

Yeah, giving kids a chance to grow up and do great things is fo' bitchez yo!

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This.

My neighbors have been trying to adopt a kid from South Africa for over a year now.  The adoption agency said they no longer allow black kids to be adopted by white families.

I joked with my wife that the bureaucrats in charge were just angling for a bigger bribe.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Try adopting in the US.

I think there is a BIG$$$ reason for foreign adoptions.

Follow the $$.

Cousin tried to adopt from a younger woman having a kid.   The woman changed her mind,.....after being supported and paid by my cousin for 6 mos or so.   They tried one other time and have now given up.

Friends went to Russian.   3 trips but they have their 2 year old girl.   Total time for process was less than 6 mos. I think.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#31]
They have stronger backs
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#32]
fuck africa let em all starve
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#33]
It's modern slavery. Call it an 18 year loophole. They bring them over, then once they are old enough, they help clean the house, mow lawn, do dishes, etc. Sometimes a Helsinki Syndrome situation occurs in which the slave will stay longer than their 18 year mandate.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Not so much that....do you really think people like Madonna, Angelina Jolie, Rosie O'Donnell would qualify as a stable potential parent to the adoption system in the US?

They probably can't qualify (poor home life, no spouse, intermittent work, documented cheating, unmarried, etc.) despite having high $$.

So they go somewhere that it doesn't matter...just that they have enough money to get the kid back to the US.

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Not so much that....do you really think people like Madonna, Angelina Jolie, Rosie O'Donnell would qualify as a stable potential parent to the adoption system in the US?

They probably can't qualify (poor home life, no spouse, intermittent work, documented cheating, unmarried, etc.) despite having high $$.

So they go somewhere that it doesn't matter...just that they have enough money to get the kid back to the US.

AFARR

let alone a guy with guns.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

A friend of mine did the same thing, he had cancer as a child and is no unable to have children of his own.  So him and his wife is going through the process of adopting a child from China.  Apparently if your not a Hollywood elitist and not super rich, there is no chance on getting a healthy child in the USA.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I feel ZERO guilt and Thank God I am white.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's modern slavery. Call it an 18 year loophole. They bring them over, then once they are old enough, they help clean the house, mow lawn, do dishes, etc. Sometimes a Helsinki Syndrome situation occurs in which the slave will stay longer than their 18 year mandate.

This…
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno.

Very expensive and time consuming.

Not to mention that most "inner city types" don't give up their kids - it means a welfare check to them.  That's their way of life and they're not going to be so foolish as to put one up for adoption.

Now you DO get a lot of 5-to-10 year olds whose guardians got put in jail and they landed in the foster system.  These kids are already ruined and there's usually not much you can do with them.  Friends of mine adopted one about 15 years ago.  He's just now getting out of prison for his 4th time.  

You can not adopt am American baby, especially a white one.  The demand far outstrips the supply.

We prefer to abort our unwanted children here, and so prospective adoptive parents are forced to go overseas.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

My neighbors have been trying to adopt a kid from South Africa for over a year now.  The adoption agency said they no longer allow black kids to be adopted by white families.

I joked with my wife that the bureaucrats in charge were just angling for a bigger bribe.

Interesting.  I'm noticing more and more white families in this area adopting black children.  More often than not if they've adopted one black child they will have adopted several.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I think you all are talking out your ass.

For regular people adopting, they go out of country mainly because of the opportunity. I know 2 people who have adopted kids of different races. None of it was done by guilt - it was they were desperate to adopt.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I dunno.

I dunno...seriously, if I had a choice of being adopted by Madonna or living in the crotch of Africa with a good dose of ebola I think I'd be waving bye-bye to her on the docks...

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

For regular people adopting, they go out of country mainly because of the opportunity. I know 2 people who have adopted kids of different races. None of it was done by guilt - it was they were desperate to adopt.

Careful with your assumptions and overgeneralizations.  I've seen several posts in this thread agreeing with exactly what you just posted.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#44]
The stupidity and ignorance rating is quite high in this thread.  

Cheaper, availability, and no chance of legal hassles.  That is why.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Say that reminds me, how'd you get that kid so darn fast? Me and Dot went in to adopt on account a' somethin' went wrong with my semen, and they said we had to wait five years for a healthy white baby. I said, "Healthy white baby? Five years? What else you got???"

Said they got two Koreans and a negra born with his heart on the outside.

It's a crazy world.

(btw - why is it that everytime I read the term 'white guilt' I picture a bunch of pointy hats & flaming crosses?)
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#46]
You would think there are pleanty of children they could purchase right here at home.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Av.

Still tens of thousands of dollars cheaper then an American baby girl.

Av.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#48]
fuck africa.  plenty of kids here need good homes
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Say that reminds me, how'd you get that kid so darn fast?

Well, this whole thing is just who knows who.

Then over here you have favoritism.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Careful with your assumptions and overgeneralizations.  I've seen several posts in this thread agreeing with exactly what you just posted.

My over generalizations - or others?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top