Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you all are talking out your ass.

For regular people adopting, they go out of country mainly because of the opportunity. I know 2 people who have adopted kids of different races. None of it was done by guilt - it was they were desperate to adopt.

Careful with your assumptions and overgeneralizations.  I've seen several posts in this thread agreeing with exactly what you just posted.

My over generalizations - or others?
All generalizations are stupid.
(do you see what I did there?)

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
God forbid these morons adopt an American child, not like there are thousands of them. That just proves most people are idiots.

Can't read I take it?

IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE AND TIME CONSUMING TO ADOPT AMERICAN ORPHANS. THEY BIRTH PARENTS CAN SUE YOU LATER. WHY BOTHER.

wut?

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
This might ruffle some feathers here, but here's what I think. My wife and I have talked about possible adoption in the far future if she can't get pregnant.

We'll most likely adopt from China. Besides the fact that China has been huge in our lives (met on a trip there, she's been twice), we really have little desire to adopt stateside. The reason I say this is because of most (not all) of the adopted children I've met.  I've met some kids that have been adopted into loving families, raised by some awesome parents who have poured love and time into their adopted american kids. The result is that when they're 18 they leave home, or want to go live with their meth addicted birth mother who never loved them. They treat their parents like garbage until they can get out of the house. Doesn't matter that loving parents raised them, it's that "you're not my real parents" becomes an excuse to trample on the love of the adoptive parents.

The foreign kids I've met have been adopted are the opposite. They recognize that they were loved enough for the parents to spend the money and go through the hassle and crap that goes along with being adopted from a crap-hole country. Doesn't matter that the adoptive parents didn't birth them, it matters that they loved and raised them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it could very well be a form of white guilt. Kind of like "Look how tolerant and progressive I am. I am white and have adopted a african child, this proves I am not a rascist." Voodoo and Surveyor hit the nail on the head.

There are many many thousands of kids of all races that can be adopted right here in this country. I don't understand why they don't adopt the children over here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FAR cheaper and easier than adopting from the US. THAT is why. Have a friend that adopted a kid from Russia. They couldn't even get on the list here, so they went foreign.

I guess I should have read your response before my intial reply. I never got why these celebs never adopted American babies. If it is as you say, I had no idea it is such a pain in the ass to adopt an American child. You'd think these people would WANT to help place the kids here.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too many horror stories of birth parents trying to get their kids back when you adopt in the US.

Easier - and cheaper! -  to adopt a foreign child.

Av.

Still cost at least $15K to adopt a Chinese baby girl.

That's a lot of money... and they're literally throwing them away over there
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Adopted children generally grow up to be serial killers anyway.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Class guilt by liberal elites, plus the need for more attention from the international press that will celebrate the actor's big heart and diversity. Apparently, there aren't any black children in American orphanages that need to be adopted.

There are white folks in my church that have adopted black kids and believe me, their adoptions never made it into a local newspaper. Twenty years from now, those kids will be well balanced, normal and productive members of society that will be reading about Madonna's and Angelina Jolie's grown up children in the tabloid rags of their time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Apparently, there aren't any black children in American orphanages that need to be adopted.

There are tons, but racist organizations like this one make it as difficult as possible.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm fine with people adopting who can't have kids.  Start with adopting American though.  There are plenty.

My big thing with adoption/gay marriage is that these people won't be passing their genes on, which is fine with me!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone that says "America only" for adoption obviously knows very little about adoption.  Adoption is a very complicated matter.  I've adopted from China and I've just finished qualification for a US adoption and am waiting on a placement.  So you might say that I know a little about both and I am not just making it up stuff off the top of my head.

Foreign adoption has historically been a much better route for a lot of people including myself.  At the current time, domestic seems to be the proper path for myself and my wife.

I'd be happy to talk to anyone on the phone that has a real interest in adoption as opposed to pontificating on the internet.

Myself and my daughter. (Adopted from China 6 years ago.)
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Cute kid

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]
First they try to adopt a baby of similar race,finding it diffucult.. Then africa or whereever than can get a baby
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's for one main reason.

Hollywood does it, so it's trendy.

This.

My neighbors have been trying to adopt a kid from South Africa for over a year now.  The adoption agency said they no longer allow black kids to be adopted by white families.

I joked with my wife that the bureaucrats in charge were just angling for a bigger bribe.

Interesting.  I'm noticing more and more white families in this area adopting black children.  More often than not if they've adopted one black child they will have adopted several.

I would think they were motivated by the desire to have kids but they already have three and are planning to have another.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Adopted my ass! They have some major homes to keep clean!
INDENTURED SERVANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ever see any of those "adopted" children in public?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#16]
for attention...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I would like to chime in as an adoptive father. My son is Dominican and was adopted at 6-days old. He is also a naturalized American citizen.

My wife and I went for a foreign adoption due to the crazy patchwork of US adoption laws, the waiting, etc. When we were looking to adopt 17 years ago the state of US adoptions was dismal. Every lawyer and agency wanted a cut of the action, no one could guarantee us a son- we were told if when we came to the top of the list if it was a girl and we refused then we dropped down to the bottom. The wait list was 2+ years. Every year would be more and more fees to "keep our place" and to "recertify your paperwork". Plus in some states adoptions were open, in others a birth parent years after the fact could challenge the adoption if some archaic law was overlooked, etc.

Finally we met a woman who had adopted an Ecuadorian child. We were put in touch with LAPAA (Latin American Parents Adoptive Association). Within a year we had our son at a total cost that was less then even trying for a year for a domestic adoption. There is a reason American go to Eastern Europe, Latin America, Asian, and African adoption sources that have nothing to do with "white guilt". We dont feel guilty- we just wanted a son to raise that was happy, healthy, and that we did not have to fear someone showing up on our doorstep trying to either get him back or insinuate themselves into our lives. How would any of you feel if you knew there was a chance of this?

If the US would ever streamline the adoption process- to include a law where adoptions are final and non-revocable barring criminal acts and allowing either party to make an adoption "closed"- this may go a long way towards having more US adoptions. As it stands now the process is still fractured and shadowed by local, state and federal laws that make internal adoptions a tremendous headache and heartache as well as a financial strain. Who needs that emotional rollercoaster when many couples want the chance at a family? Why the surprise that American couples seek to adopt overseas?

Life has been pretty good with our son even though he currently is the typical middle-class teenager (I told him toleave home now while he still knows everything!)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They're like celebrity beanie-babies. Its a fashion statement. The next step up from a purse dog.

+1
I believe Sacha Baron Cohen makes fun of this trend in his upcoming movie.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I've never understood it, really.  But kids are kids, be they from Africa or otherwise.  It doesn't seem very right to me for a person to take a child away from all that they have known just for the reason of appeasing some person's vanity.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]
They do it to "prove" they are not evil white racists, but since they go WAY out of their way to get them based solely on race, they are actually proving that they are true racists. Libtards are fucking stupid. I guess we should be thankful that some poor American child isnt being adopted by a pair of homos to be "re-educated" into even yet more extreme libtards.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top