Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 9:22:45 PM EDT
I want a new flashlight and have been really pleased with my GREE Cree flashlight from dealextreme about 6 months ago. But like all things I need something newer and better, what do yall suggest?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the Fenix lights. I'm a fan of the P2D myself.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a 10 pack of their photon lights and clipped them on jackets, backpacks, keychains, etc.  Can't be beat for the price.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought, literally 5 minutes ago, a nice Surefire E2E on sale at LA Police Gear for $65.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The AKORAY and TANK brands are getting good reviews.  Not 100% certain what you are looking for though, but if you are looking at one of the new P7 or MC-E monsters, there are several to chose from.  I'd check in with the usual suspects at cpf forums.  Just post a question and sit back and enjoy the gigantic nerd argument that follows.

If you are looking for serious output, the new fenix that takes 6 AAs seems to be king-shit right now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The models with 4-die LEDs are insanely bright, and not particularly expensive.

After roughly a year of almost daily use, I really like my MTE 5-Mode, which uses the Seoul Semiconductor P7 LED.

The maximum output is considerably less than the claimed 900 lumens, but is still VERY bright - I'd estimate 500-600 lumens. It's not any larger than a Surefire G2,  build quality is better than typical Chinese, and it'll run many hours on the lowest brightness setting. A great value at around $36, delivered.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#6]
ost
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:31:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

p3d premium here. I won't look back for an EDC light.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

After roughly a year of almost daily use, I really like my MTE 5-Mode, which uses the Seoul Semiconductor P7 LED.

http://www2.dealextreme.com:8080/productimages/sku_12060_1.jpg

The maximum output is considerably less than the claimed 900 lumens, but is still VERY bright - I'd estimate 500-600 lumens. It's not any larger than a Surefire G2,  build quality is better than typical Chinese, and it'll run many hours on the lowest brightness setting. A great value at around $36, delivered.

I got that MTE and just finished 6 months all over Asia with it. Worked great and as you say insanely bright despite the small size. A shame the Surefire sheep will never know how good these lights are. I ended up recently buying this one also which is very similar but with a SS "tactical" bezel

My current favorite EDC is this $15 steal:

SKU numbers can be seen in the URL
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can you set it so that whenever you turn it on it defaults to the medium or the high setting?  OR, do you have to click through each level every time you turn it on?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you set it so that whenever you turn it on it defaults to the medium or the high setting?  OR, do you have to click through each level every time you turn it on?

Nope, you have to click through each mode after you turn it on (although it will "remember" your last mode for up to perhaps half an hour after you turn it off). Upon power-up, it brings up the Medium-brightness setting (around 200 lumens, and very handy for most purposes), then toggles to Low, High, Strobe and SOS on each successive momentary button press.

MTE also makes a 2-mode version.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Would that MTE work (reliably) as a gun light for my 7.62 AR and my 12GA Mossberg?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#12]
P7 is the way to go!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#13]
ost
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I have this one its been great doesn't have much distance on it but it works well in dark attics and under furniture. it was waterproof until my ferret chewed the tail cap up.

http://www2.dealextreme.com:8080/details.dx/sku.6145

there are likely better ones out there but this one had a clip and scary serrated edge.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#16]
on DX, check out the single AA AKORAY... its the poor mans equivelatn of the ever-popular Nitecore D10 minus the piston drive. three programmable modes to program whatever settings you want with! its been getting GREAT reviews on candlepowerforums and im ordering myself one tomorrow.

brouhaha, check the fenix E01... its a single AAA and about $14 shipped and will give you 10 lumens for 10 hours and then "moon mode" (about 2 lumens) for another ten hours. built like a tank, single twisty head operation, different body colors available. If you wanted to spend more, get the Fenix LD01... three mode (medium, low, high) and it highest setting gives you 80 lumens of brightness... pretty insane for a single AAA battery.

shade
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#17]
The Fenix TK-40 is the holy grail of flashlights right now. I really don't think you can top it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Big +1! I carry one every day. Small, hella bright, and lasts a long time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Would that MTE work (reliably) as a gun light for my 7.62 AR and my 12GA Mossberg?

It's definitely not Surefire-quality - might be fine for recreational shooting, but I wouldn't trust it with my life.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nope, you have to click through each mode after you turn it on (although it will "remember" your last mode for up to perhaps half an hour after you turn it off). Upon power-up, it brings up the Medium-brightness setting (around 200 lumens, and very handy for most purposes), then toggles to Low, High, Strobe and SOS on each successive momentary button press.

MTE also makes a 2-mode version.

Thanks for the info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top