Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2002 9:56:39 AM EDT
Drop Seen in Calif. Gun-Buying
12/12/2001

After spiking following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, gun sales have declined in California, the Contra Costa Times reported Dec. 10.

Statistics from the California Department of Justice show that gun sales for 2001 may fall well below sales in 2000, and may be at their lowest level since the state started tracking sales in 1972.

"For about six weeks after Sept. 11 we definitely saw an increase, but since then it's less than last year overall," said Mike Van Winkle, a spokesman for the state Department of Justice.

Van Winkle said that after Sept. 11, weekly gun sales jumped 50 percent, but sales peaked the week of Sept. 17 and have declined steadily since then. Last week, firearm sales rose slightly with the start of the holiday gun-buying season.

According to Van Winkle, the big gun-buying periods are "late summer and early fall, because the hunters are out there gearing up, and then again as soon as the holidays come. This is when guns and everything else are bought."

But compared with the same period last year, gun sales were down 25 percent for the past two weeks. While gun dealers attribute the decline to [b]state and local restrictions[/b], anti-gun groups say it is a result of a continued shift in attitudes and demographics away from firearm ownership. Luis Tolley, Western director of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said California is growing more [b]racially diverse[/b] and less rural.

[url]enews.millionmommarch.org/plugin.jtml?siteID=MMM&p=1&Tab=News&Object_ID=546933[/url]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Well minority gun purchases dropped only cause this Filipino moved out of CA [:D] As soon as I get another job and start making $$$ again, minority gun sales in TX will increase.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#3]
God, another MMF march....
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I heard a few years ago, that so many more people were leaving California than moving to it, that U Haul had to actually use railroads to ship back their trucks and trailers to Kali.

If that is true, than you would expect the number of gun purchases to go down also. You can never get the whole story from commie DemoDogs, never.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]
You are all missing the point - how many guns have passed the Caliban's safety tests and are currently legal for sale in the state?  

California made it [i]harder[/i] to buy guns, so fewer people would bother with it.  

All part of the long term plan, ladies and gentlemen - if you cannot ban them, make it progressively harder to acquire, and then keep them.  "Safe Storage" laws, magazine bans, transportation restrictions, etc.  Eventually only those willing to jump through increasingly smaller and more numerous hoops will have them.  And you will have a de-facto, if not literal ban.  

See England.  Population of 50,000,000.  When they finally got around to banning handguns after 70 years of progressively more draconian laws, they took only 163,000 from the few people who still had them.  That's one handgun for about every 300 Britons.  The ratio here is about one for every 4 Americans.  If you don't have a handgun, just how interested are [i]you[/i] going to be in whether or not the government bans [i]someone elses[/i]???  

And you'll note, the ban didn't touch the ones in illicit circulation.

The Several Hundred Thousand Moms chant is:  "England can do it!  Australia can do it!  We can too!"  Not here, baby.  Not here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The Several Hundred Thousand Moms chant is: "England can do it! Australia can do it! We can too!" Not here, baby. Not here.
View Quote

... Whooo Ahhhhhh [b]KBaker[/b], I got yer six
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn... I didn't know I was white.

Learn something everyday I guess. [:\]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I guess I ought to go buy some guns, since I'm Jewish. That'll help it. Hey wait, how do they know...
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel bad for all you guys (and gals) behind the lines in occupied Kali. It must suck, living in such a liberal state. Of course, my state isn't much better. In two years, CT will have the same asinine laws you have. They tried banning virtually every semi-auto last year, but it didn't get out of committee.

The libs won't be so easy in '03.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In two years, CT will have the same asinine laws you have. They tried banning virtually every semi-auto last year, but it didn't get out of committee.
The libs won't be so easy in '03.
View Quote

which is why i gave up my job rather than relocate to Hartford.  nice state, too bad.  guess i'm just spoiled.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Wasn't there a movie, that takes place in the future, where all of california is a jail???  I'm serious too, can some one remember the movie?? It has Kurt Russel in it.  Maby escape from LA??
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a movie, that takes place in the future, where all of california is a jail???  I'm serious too, can some one remember the movie?? It has Kurt Russel in it.  Maby escape from LA??
View Quote

Yep, "Escape from LA".  Didn't seem to be any shortage of guns in the movie! ;-)

Here in NC, my buddy owns a large gun store.  He said that '01 was his best year ever for sales.  Sales were up before 9/11, but then the liberals moved in and cleaned the shelves.  All the regulars did was buy ammo by the pallet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
California made it [i]harder[/i] to buy guns, so fewer people would bother with it.  

All part of the long term plan, ladies and gentlemen - if you cannot ban them, make it progressively harder to acquire, and then keep them.  "Safe Storage" laws, magazine bans, transportation restrictions, etc.  Eventually only those willing to jump through increasingly smaller and more numerous hoops will have them.  And you will have a de-facto, if not literal ban.  
View Quote

Exactly, and moreover, there will be fewer gun-owning voters who will object to the ultimate gun ban, and fewer voters who are friends of gun owners, and...
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But compared with the same period last year, gun sales were down 25 percent for the past two weeks. While gun dealers attribute the decline to [b]state and local restrictions[/b], anti-gun groups say it is a result of a continued shift in attitudes and demographics away from firearm ownership. Luis Tolley, Western director of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said California is growing more [b]racially diverse[/b] and less rural.
View Quote

This is, of course, the gross generalization that only the gun banners are capable of.  I know plenty of gun owning minorities.  And strangely enough, the minorities that I know who don't own guns are less anti-gun that the white liberals that I know.

However, there is a germ of truth in the MMM statement, and it is something that we need to address.  Mostly for historical reasons, there are groups of Americans who have not been exposed to guns.  Women and some minorities come to mind.  The best protection for our RKBA is in the body of the people and the cheapest effective way to advance it is to take new people shooting.  If you are serious about protecting the RKBA, you should try and take 5-10 new people to the range [b]every year[/b].  As you do so, try and make some inroads into the ranks of women and minorities.  Since they and their demographic peers have rarely been exposed to the fun and benefits of lawful gun ownership, you will get extra mileage for your efforts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well minority gun purchases dropped only cause this Filipino moved out of CA [:D] As soon as I get another job and start making $$$ again, minority gun sales in TX will increase.
View Quote

I don't know what your mother and father told you that you were, but since you've purchased firearms, I'm afraid we will have to declare you "Whitey". So sorry, it can't be helped.

Next, please. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
However, there is a germ of truth in the MMM statement, and it is something that we need to address.  Mostly for historical reasons, there are groups of Americans who have not been exposed to guns.  Women and some minorities come to mind.  The best protection for our RKBA is in the body of the people and the cheapest effective way to advance it is to take new people shooting.  If you are serious about protecting the RKBA, you should try and take 5-10 new people to the range [b]every year[/b].  As you do so, try and make some inroads into the ranks of women and minorities.  Since they and their demographic peers have rarely been exposed to the fun and benefits of lawful gun ownership, you will get extra mileage for your efforts.
View Quote
Excellent point.  At the last range meeting I attended the audience consisted of middle-aged white males, and two white women.  But when we actively try to attract women and minorities into the shooting sports, the gun-control freaks accuse us of evil intent - after all, guns are bad.  We're "pushers of death" trying to "frighten women" or "hoodwink minorities" into gun ownership.  

Can't win either way with them, so I say recruit a woman or member of a minority today!  Take someone shooting!  Do it now, or lose the right tomorrow.  Education has a remarkable effect on the fearful.  The rank of gun owners in this nation is decreasing.  Time to change the trend.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damn... I didn't know I was white.

Learn something everyday I guess. [:\]
View Quote

Same Here! Whatdaya know?!?!?!

Gomer Pyle - [I]Suprise, Suprise, Suprise[/I]
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#20]
KBaker's got it down.  Right now the antis don't have the numbers or political muscle for an outright ban.  Give them 30 years or so of fewer and fewer people being exposed to and interested in guns, and the situation will change.  They'll go for the latest ban, and there won't be enough interested people around to stop them.  Don't the antis even have a name for this?  "Changing America's gun culture" or some other such nonsense.

Small example:  Over the holidays I went for one of those three-day cruises with The Little Woman, to Mexico.  I was looking forward to shooting trap off the stern of the ship.  This was a great way to expose urban vacationers who never had shot trap before to the sport (and guns overall) for the first time.  But the cruise line (Carnival) had "taken the guns off the boat."

I hate Pink Floyd, but I will quote them anyway, "All in all it's just another brick in the wall . . ."
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Funny thing is, in the inner Bay Area at least, the minorities are probably more inclined to be armed than Whitey. At the gun store, I see equal numbers of Asians, Black, Hispanics, etc., buying guns. Get into the burbs and it's mostly Whitely, but that's only because that area is predominantly White.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top