Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
<snip>   I prefer to donate absolutely anonymously.  <snip>  

this.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You want opinions about this capn, I'll give you one. I haven't donated yet, though I do intend to. Not because of the show that may or may not happen, I have a wife and she has tits so I don't give a shit about that. The reason I'll kick in a few bucks is because I like the music and I listen to it quite often. Every time it's on. Now being one of those times. What he does with the money that is donated is his deal. It costs 30-40 bucks to run the server a month. That's probably his entire internet bill, but whatever. If you donated for reasons I won't state here and were disappointed, that's something you should take up with him.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You want opinions about this capn, I'll give you one. I haven't donated yet, though I do intend to. Not because of the show that may or may not happen, I have a wife and she has tits so I don't give a shit about that. The reason I'll kick in a few bucks is because I like the music and I listen to it quite often. Every time it's on. Now being one of those times. What he does with the money that is donated is his deal. It costs 30-40 bucks to run the server a month. That's probably his entire internet bill, but whatever. If you donated for reasons I won't state here and were disappointed, that's something you should take up with him.
Thanks for the feedback.

ETA: I have more class to thank someone for a donation, I guess that is lost on the younger crowd.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
wife? tits?

Okay, I'm out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

wife? tits?

Okay, I'm out.

No wife tits pics tonight, sorry.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
give it a rest

it has got NOTHING to do with older/younger.

In fact, you sound a lot more like the ME ME ME generation that the 'Greatest Generation'

It's an INTERNET donation button, the equivalent would be a guy who took a box, cut a 2 inch long, 1/4 inch slot in in, and put it next to his apple tree with the word 'donation' on it.

you expect him to run out of the house every time a guy puts a few bucks in the box? Heck no!

Besides, this isn't really a 'donation' it is more of a 'pay for serves...by choice'

you choose to use his services for entertainment.  If you want to keep that kind of entertainment around, you donate.  If you don't care, you don't bother.

the idea that you would donate to do anything other than keeping his website up is ridiculously self centered.

you should be ashamed of yourself.

drama queen
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

give it a rest

In fact, you sound a lot more like the ME ME ME generation that the 'Greatest Generation'

It's an INTERNET donation button, the equivalent would be a guy who took a box, cut a 2 inch long, 1/4 inch slot in in, and put it next to his apple tree with the word 'donation' on it.

you expect him to run out of the house every time a guy puts a few bucks in the box? Heck no!

Besides, this isn't really a 'donation' it is more of a 'pay for serves...by choice'

you choose to use his services for entertainment.  If you want to keep that kind of entertainment around, you donate.  If you don't care, you don't bother.

the idea that you would donate to do anything other than keeping his website up is ridiculously self centered.

drama queen

I don't watch the live feed much, once or twice, subnet is set, the donation thing is bull, IMHO.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
give it a rest

drama queen

I don't watch the live feed much, once or twice, subnet is set, the donation thing is bull, IMHO.  

Because he's smoking cigarettes and drinking beer?

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't get me wrong, if someone knowingly receives money from me, I would hope a thanks is involved. Although, in my mind it's not necessary. It really all depends on the situation. As a side note, in all the happenings going on in that chat room, drinking exorbitantly, maybe he forgot to thank you. :shrug: I don't know how paypal works regarding the recipient being notified that a donation was made, whether it shows who made it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys are funny.

I won't win a subnet thread here, he has an army to defend him.

Just think it is classless to ask for donations and not respond.

I know this stuff is alien to the subnet army.

I like subnet, he is a cool guy.

ETA: I am sure he will do a stupid thank you on live vid to make me look like an ass too, that is ok, I still think sub is a good guy.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You guys are funny.

I wasn't defending him, i've NEVER spoken to him. I was just curious if you were upset he was smoking and drinking while crying poverty? That would bother me the same way a drunk bum does or a morbidly obese homeless lady.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You guys are funny.

he probably didnt know it was you. maybe he hasnt had the time, or gotten around to thank you letters yet
any benefit of the doubt? cmon!

however,

after reading through this thread, and your persistence of bumping and talking about this, i would give your 20$ back. with a NO THANKYOU note/letter

ass.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
give it a rest

drama queen

this
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#14]
You guys are clueless.

Enjoy the rambling geek show tonight.

Subnet is a cool guy, and I mean that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#15]
IBMTP
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I IM'd you my home phone number just now. Call me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]
and fyi, I was listening to gonzo_beyondo's feed last night So I missed it all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#18]
unless you came into the chat and mentioned your donation, or typed "capnrob" into the thing on paypal, he dosnt know who it was. i have seen him thank everyone that he knows make a donation.

hes not forcing anyone to donate for anything. thats why its a 'donation' and not a 'fee'. completely voluntary. if you want to pay to have someone thank you, ill IM you my paypal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You guys are clueless.

Enjoy the rambling geek show tonight.

Subnet is a cool guy, and I mean that.

You must have left early, because Subnet was grateful and humble for the donations.  So don't go getting mad about not receiving a thank you.
If its any consolation, From Sub to me to you. Thank You.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm sure it was an oversight and entirely unintentional.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

what the hell?

for starters, I don't know who subnet is. I don't care.

Using my example from before, you walked up to the dontation box next to the apple tree, and put in a $20, and then b!tched because the owner never came out to thank you personally, and justified your b!tchfest with the excuse 'these apples are small and not very juicy, besides I only ate one'

IF YOU ONLY WATCHED HIS LIVE FEED ONCE OR TWICE, THEN WHY THE F_____ DID YOU DONATE? THE ONLY REASON TO DONATE IF YOU ONLY WATCHED THE FEED ONCE OR TWICE IS BECAUSE YOU WERE FISHING FOR A BIG THANKS...OR FROM THE GOODNESS OF YOUR HEART, IN WHICH CASE YOU JUST SHUT UP AND GIVE THE DONATION AND WALK AWAY WITH THE WORLD A LITTLE BIT BETTER,  NO THANKS NEEDED
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Is the donating party to blame, or the receiver?

Give what you can but expect no thanks and never will you be disappointed.

5sub

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
give it a rest

drama queen

^^^^

What he said.

I have only been a member here for a few days now, but I've been hanging around for a while.

I clicked on the donate button on his site and was happy to donate. Did he thank me? I honestly don't remember, but it don't matter to me because it felt like the right thing to do.

Besides that, when using PayPal your ARFcom user name doesn't show up, just your email and maybe your first name.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that he probably didn't realize that it was you until you started this thread, so maybe you should just accept his apology and move on.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:30:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Alright, I've let this go long enough. I'd rather do this with a phone call (you were online when I IM'd you my home phone number), but you don't want to call. That's fine, man.

Last night, somebody posted a link to my site and a bunch of people who aren't usually in the chat section of my site showed up. A bunch of people noted the "Donate" link on my site and kicked down a few bucks. For those who aren't typically chatting with me, or watching my broadcasts, here's the thing about that:

It's a DONATION. If you like the entertainment and feel like kicking down a buck or two, go for it. If not...fine. It keeps the broadcast going, because at this point - having lost my job, it's an "extra" expense I really don't need. I can't justify paying for the bandwidth, the internet connection on the client side that's dedicated to it, or the server space, when I'm out of work. I LOVE entertaining you guys, but it's an extra expense that's really hard to justify to the Mrs (or to myself, objectively).

If you've hung out in the chat, you'll know that people have joked around and said "where's the garage fridge?", and I've said "kick down a buck or two, and I'll buy one". And people did. The donate link isn't there, because I'm out of a job and I want people to give me money to pay the bills. To pull that off, people would have to donate something like $2,000/mo and I do NOT want or need that. It's just there, so folks can say "thanks" and help keep the broadcasts going (or kick down some bread for a fridge in the garage, or whatever - it's all in good fun).

Regarding thanks - I have gone out of my way to thank EVERYONE who has donated. It means a lot to me that people care that much. One member (who will remain nameless, as I believe giving is a private matter) sent me $100 in cash, because he hates Paypal. I called him and thanked him personally, because I knew who he was. He knows who he is too, so if he wants to post here, he will. If not - fine.

Capnrob, you're one of my favorite arfcommers. I mean that. I really had no idea you gave me $20. When I check my PP account, all I see are people's real names and addresses. I don't know who they are online. My God, there are people who watch this stuff and they're not even members here. I have no idea who most of them are. Folks kick down $1 or $2 periodically throughout the day, and I have no way of knowing who they all really are. If you mentioned it in the chat, I missed it. I'm truly sorry. Last night, I was three sheets to the wind having a good time entertaining everyone, and to be honest - I'll bet you were just a bit when you commented on me in this thread. I have a feeling come morning, you'll feel kind of bad about it.

What you said kind of hurt me. I didn't expect somebody like you to say I had no manners, or that I was ungrateful. When you donate money for personal reasons, how can I be anything but extremely grateful? You don't have to do that, but you do for reasons that are your own, and I appreciate it more than you know. It means a lot to me.

I was away from my computer all day today doing other things. When I came back tonight, somebody linked me to this thread and said you were upset. I was floored. I honestly had no idea you donated, and I had no idea how much my not thanking you upset you. It really is a completely honest misunderstanding. I felt REALLY bad about it, and I wanted to talk to you on the phone instead of doing it on a forum. You don't want to do it that way I guess, so here I am.

Dude, from the bottom of my heart - and to EVERYONE who has ever saw fit to kick down a few bucks - THANK you. You do not have to do it, and the fact that you do anyway means the world to me. I really do enjoy doing these entertaining broadcasts for everyone. People tell me all the time how much they enjoy them, and I've got lots of neat stories from guys overseas who have passed the time watching a goofy guy in a JD hat act a fool, or play tunes. When people hit that tiny little donate link on my site, or send me a nice IM or email, it warms my heart. The ONLY reason I do these, is because people enjoy them. If that ever stops, so will I.

So again, thank you. Please don't be upset with me, and please understand that it kills me that something I neglected to do upsets you (especially you). All I want to do is make people happy - I don't  want them upset at me. Please don't be angry with me, and please understand that I didn't mean anything by it. It's an honest mistake.

If you want me to return the $20, I'd be more than happy to. The donations are just nice gestures, and I don't want something like $20 cause any strife between me and an arfcommer I really like.

Again, thanks, man.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Doesn't sound sincere to me.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:52:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Tag for the inevitable epic crawfishing dance.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#27]
capnrob97,

Did ya maybe think about maybe just hitting Sub up on IM and letting him know you were not happy with him, instead of airing it out here in GD???? He didn't come here and request donations from the ARFCOM membership.....but if you happened to stop by the RamblingGeek the other night, enjoyed some great tunes, maybe chatted a bit and wanted to donate some $, one could do that if they wanted..... I personally saw Sub thanking everyone he could by name and those he did not know, he thanked them too.....

Sub may be many things, a pasty skinned, scruffy looking, beer guzzling, chain smoking, JD hat wearing geek, who dresses funny, but ungrateful he is not!

I think if you have a problem with Sub on his RG site, you should have addressed it there and not here........
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top