Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 8:11:29 AM EDT
Are people ordering uppers just to get the charging handles and BCGs off of them and reselling the leftovers?  Or is this a way to part out the guns for more money?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, you title your ad "NEW ROCK RIVER UPPER, 450 BUCKS, NIB!!!! LOLBBQ!!!11"

And someone thinks "Hey, 450 for a RRA upper is pretty good".  You click on it, and then find you that to have a new upper you have to shell out another 120 bucks or so to complete it.  It seems like classic bait and switch.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Or is this a way to part out the guns for more money?

Yes
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Are people ordering uppers just to get the charging handles and BCGs off of them and reselling the leftovers?  Or is this a way to part out the guns for more money?

Because when the seller bought them from BCM two days ago, the uppers didnt come with a CH or BCG.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It seems like classic bait and switch.

Huh? Have you bought an upper receiver directly from a manufacturer recently? The hardest parts to get are bolts, bolt carriers, and chrome-lined barrels. It's fairly easy to get an upper receiver group (minus BCG, handguards, and CH); that's why everyone has them. You'll have a much harder time trying to get a complete, ready-to-go upper receiver.

Selling an upper for $450-500 on the EE without the BCG, CH, and handguards is NOT a bait-and-switch. You, as the consumer, ALWAYS have the freedom to click the back button in your web browser if you aren't satisfied with the price.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because when the seller bought them from BCM two days ago, the uppers didnt come with a CH or BCG.

This, the seller doesn't have them.  I didn't receive a BCG or charging handle with my BCM upper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure why so many folks are having trouble getting BCGs.  I've ordered 3 from M&A parts in the last couple months and the longest I waited on any of them was 5 days because that was over a weekend.  Heck, I just ordered one last week on a Tuesday and had it by Friday.

The parts are out there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not sure why so many folks are having trouble getting BCGs.  I've ordered 3 from M&A parts in the last couple months and the longest I waited on any of them was 5 days because that was over a weekend.  Heck, I just ordered one last week on a Tuesday and had it by Friday.

The parts are out there.

I have a RIGHT to cheap BCG's and healthcare.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Every LMT upper I've bought did not come with a charging handle or BCG, standard procedure.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The parts are out there.

I have a RIGHT to cheap BCG's and healthcare.

oh yeah, I forgot.  Some folks don't like that whole capitalism thing... well, that is unless THEY are the ones selling stuff for a nice mark-up.

ETA:  not aimed at you... FWIW, my sarcasm meter isn't broken.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh, got it.  Makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#11]
It was done on the EE years ago, but just not as prevalent as it is now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#12]

"Complete upper" is nomenclature that is dubious at best. Some people consider that to include the BCG/CH, some don't. Most of the site sponsors and vendors do not consider a complete upper to include the BCG/CH, unless they state it specifically. This is why you need to actually read the ad and see what is specifically mentioned. If it isn't specifically mentioned, especially with a picture that does - well, we're treading the line here and I'd say the seller is in the wrong as he is intentionally (or not) misrepresenting what is for sale - especially on something as easy to remove as a BCG/CH. Needs to be spelled out - and if you are unsure, to ask either via post, PM, or e-mail. Definitely caveat emptor.

A true bait and switch, would be a seller advertising a 1/7 chrome lined 16" barrels for sale, with the specified intention of running out of stock quickly (or even not having stock at all) and offering to "replace" it with a 20" 1/9 unlined barrel. Or having an ad spell out one thing, and leading to a website store to order to a different item (similar or not). There are a ton more examples of bait and switch scenarios, so I'll leave it at that.

The seller needs to be clear with what he is selling, and the buyer has to understand what he is buying. Especially when the definition of terms varies as it does in firearms, regardless of your opinion if you think it is correct or not. If I post "charging handle for sale $10" and do not provide a picture and you jump on it... when it shows up and doesn't include a latch, spring, or roll pin. Will you be pissed? I didn't say it was a complete charging handle, I just said charging handle. You'll probably get a split opinion on who is in the wrong, as you could make a case very well for either side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top