[#1]
Page 2 FTW.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can get proficient with every gun handling skill except consistently and reliably hitting your target.

So so wrong.

Sight alignment and trigger control are the same whether the gun goes bang or not.

I agree.

Live or not,  slight alignment, grip, stance, and the fundamentals are the same.

Well then I guess that you two will never need more than one 50 rd box of ammo for the rest of your life.

I wonder why the United Stated Marines spend two whole weeks dry firing before they ever fire a live round?
Don't get me wrong. There is a time and place for live fire, but the fundamentals are the same whether or not you actually shoot the gun.
I am pretty comfortable with my shooting background, what is yours?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not shooting my 'service' calibers much anymore, but when I do , I'm dead on. Dry fire, grip, stance, etc as previously mentioned. I do shoot my .22 pistol a lot however and I'm a critter killin mofo at serious distance with that old MKIII Target.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Dry firing can maintain or improve your ability to get a correct sight picture, tirgger discipline, steady position, breath control, etc.
What it cannot do is prepare you for the next shot. Only live fire does that.

The affore mentioned dime washer exercise brought back memories of doing that in the hot sand of Ft. Jackson in the middle of summer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can get proficient with every gun handling skill except consistently and reliably hitting your target.

So so wrong.

Sight alignment and trigger control are the same whether the gun goes bang or not.

I agree.

Live or not,  slight alignment, grip, stance, and the fundamentals are the same.

Well then I guess that you two will never need more than one 50 rd box of ammo for the rest of your life.

Live fire is more fun, so I got a dillon press.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm going to go against the flow and say No.

I have had times where I didn't shoot for a short period, and when I went to the range, I was amazed at how much proficiency I had lost.

Just like physical training, you can't "put it in the bank".

If you stop, proficiency starts to deteriorate.  Dry firing may help a little, but it isn't the same as shooting.

Of course your proficiency would diminish! However, I still think that you could easily keep yourself "passable". You could still hit a standing target reliably at close range with your pistol. That much is just like riding a bike. Remember that even complete n00bs who have NEVER even held a gun can often get relatively good hits right away. Your skill will decrease but you could still get by in most situations in my opinion.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dry fire plus mental imaging will do wonders for your proficiency. It's a good way to practice. Try aiming and firing at people on your TV to maintain trigger squeeze and sight allignment skills.

Yup. My TV has thousands upon thousands of 0 grain bullets through it from various calibers.

I really like to dry fire during football and soccer games. Makes sight alignment all the harder. I don't practice moving around the room while dry firing at the TV, but at least the targets on the TV are moving. My kids think their dad is a little wacky, firing at the TV all the time. I've explained the situation to them, but they still give me the raised eyebrow here and there...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top