Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/29/2009 5:27:59 AM EDT
Yesterday, I was waiting to make a right turn onto a street that crossed railroad tracks.  After the train got by, everyone ahead of me waiting in line went.  There was a line in the opposite lane waiting to go left, 2 lane road.  There was no one behind me, so I was not holding up traffic.

I motioned about 4 cars across and they went.  The 5th car was a GSP trooper.  He motioned me to go on, so I did.  He then pulled behind and pulled me over.  WTF?

He came up to the Trailblazer on the passenger side and asked for my license.  He then told me that I should not be doing what I did and to "let traffic work itself out".  Say what?

He said he had worked wrecks where someone did what I was doing and it caused a wreck.  Huh?  Said the someone did what I did and when the person turned, they got hit by someone coming up on their left.  Again, huh?  I said that would mean the someone was passing illegally.  He said "no, that wasn't it".

Okay, I have yet to figure out what the hell he was talking about as the only way someone could be coming up on the left of a left turning car on a 2 lane road would be passing illegally.

He then asked my why I didn't have my seat belt on back at the intersection.  I had taken it off when I pulled over to get out my license, but always wear my seat belt.  I don't need some stupid law to tell me to wear it and I told him that.  He dropped it.

He wasn't nasty, he was nice, but I thought being pulled over and lectured for that was pretty ridiculous.

I try to be nice once a year and that was my one for this year.

Never again.

ETA:  The reason I was letting everyone go is that I knew that down the street that I and everyone else was turning on to I would be making a left turn in about a block or so, so no point in holding all those folks up while I waited for oncoming traffic, which was also backed up due to the train.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
He was right, you were wrong. End of story.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep.  A few years back I was in the right hand lane of a 2 lane highway on my motorcycle when a cop pulls onto the highway.  I (being the curteous SOB that I am) got over to the left lane to let the cop merge.  The cop gets behind me and pulls me over for 'cutting off another vehicle' (which I did not do, I had a ton of room).  I explained to the officer that I got in the left lane to allow him to merge and he let me go.  Never again!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:34:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He was right a cop , you were wrong not. End of story.

Fixed

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:35:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure what you were accomplishing if there was no one behind you.  If you would have just gone then they would have too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed

That is not my point as every GSP trooper I have met has been a nice person and very professional.

This just didn't make any sense.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what you were accomplishing if there was no one behind you.  If you would have just gone then they would have too.

Irrelevant.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:38:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yesterday, I was waiting to make a right turn onto a street that crossed railroad tracks.  After the train got by, everyone ahead of me waiting in line went.  There was a line in the opposite lane waiting to go left, 2 lane road.  There was no one behind me, so I was not holding up traffic.

Did you have a stop sign?  If there was no stop sign, the cop was right.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

that.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand..................

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The other thing...

The right of way is the way it is for a reason. It creats predictability. Predictability reduces wrecks.

I hate it when some do-gooder tries to wave me through or insists on letting someone in that does not have the right of way. It usually ends with me getting stopped first in line at the next red light while the do-gooder and the guy he let in make it through.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:39:14 AM EDT
[#11]
so he let you out then bitched you out for doing what he just did for you ? Sounds like a cop
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed

that.

it's ARF, so i got both.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Here in Louisville people do that all the time (let other people go out of turn or whatnot) and I do worry that it's going to cause a wreck. I do notice that drivers here are a lot more courteous (than in Ohio) but sometimes it is to the point of risk.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:39:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Irrelevant.

His point is probably that if you wave on another car to turn in front of you that the person usually assumes that the coast is clear just based on the fact that you said so.  And that's obviously not always the case.

Or...

He was jealous of you because he wanted to be the one to direct traffic.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:40:12 AM EDT
[#15]
SHUT UP AND RESPECT HIS AUTHORITY!

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:40:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Simple rule, don't be "nice" in traffic, be courteous, not nice.  It just confuses everyone and slows things up.  If someone else has the right of way and they are not moving, it is just annoying.  They make three and four way stop signs HELL here.  Don't wave me on, you were first, GO!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Irrelevant.

His point is probably that if you wave on another car to turn in front of you that the person usually assumes that the coast is clear just based on the fact that you said so.  And that's obviously not always the case.

Or...

Well, since it was a two lane road, the coast was clear.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:42:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Get use to living in a police state
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#19]

No way you are nice once a year. Maybe every 2 years.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I have actually been told this very thing by many friends of mine who are cops.  You don't stop the flow of traffic to be "nice", even though there was noone behind you.  It is a ticketable offense here in MA and RI to do so.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you freaks ever read the op? There was a GD train on the tracks idiot. Do you need a stop sign to tell you to stop for a train on the tracks?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#22]
He was just bored, I would just blow it off and I have continued to do it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Irrelevant.

Or...

Well, since it was a two lane road, the coast was clear.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I knew that about a block down the road, I was going to be turning left and that is why I was trying to let them go ahead of me.

Damn, I can't believe the responses.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you freaks ever read the op? There was a GD train on the tracks idiot. Do you need a stop sign to tell you to stop for a train on the tracks?

Personal Attack much?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed

Got to agree.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew that about a block down the road, I was going to be turning left and that is why I was trying to let them go ahead of me.

One one hand you were playing traffic cop, just drive... On the other hand you had no one behind you so who gives a crap... I would have looked at you funny and said "Hey genius, theres no one behind you. Drive and let traffic flow correctly." Other than that I would not care.

You can't believe the responses because not every came in here to back you up on what you think was a douchebag cop with nothing better to do than to harass you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One one hand you were playing traffic cop, just drive... On the other hand you had no one behind you so who gives a crap... I would have looked at you funny and said "Hey genius, theres no one behind you. Drive and let traffic flow correctly." Other than that I would not care.

You can't believe the responses because not every came in here to back you up on what you think was a douchebag cop with nothing better to do than to harass you.

That is not my point.  Did you bother to read that I was going to be turning left and didn't want to hold everyone up?  I said he was nice about it and never even hinted at him being a douchebag.  Nice try at reading my mind.

If you had looked at me and said "hey genius", I would have looked at you and said "fuck off".

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not my point.  Did you bother to read that I was going to be turning left and didn't want to hold everyone up?

If you had looked at me and said "hey genius", I would have looked at you and said "fuck off".

I read it a couple times...

Sorry, this thread isn't goign the way you predicted...
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#31]
The thread is operating in a very consistent GD fashion.  No cause for any surprise.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not my point.  Did you bother to read that I was going to be turning left and didn't want to hold everyone up?

Sorry you can't spell for shit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:00:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I have seen at least 4 accidents in front of me where a person was trying to turn left on to a six lane highway and because traffic is stopped a person on the highway lets the person turning left in. The problem is that there are three other lanes and traffic is still moving and what do you know another car hits the car turning left, all because someone was trying to be nice. I will tell you, I try to be a courteous driver, but anytime I’m in either of those situations I will either wait for the coast to be clear to turn left even if someone is letting me out or I will not give someone the opportunity to turn left.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for you riveting response...
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got the response that you deserve.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have seen at least 4 accidents in front of me where a person was trying to turn left on to a six lane highway and because traffic is stopped a person on the highway lets the person turning left in. The problem is that there are three other lanes and traffic is still moving and what do you know another car hits the car turning left, all because someone was trying to be nice. I will tell you, I try to be a courteous driver, but anytime I’m in either of those situations I will either wait for the coast to be clear to turn left even if someone is letting me out or I will not give someone the opportunity to turn left.

TWO LANE ROAD.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:04:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As did this thread
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As did this thread

No, what this thread got was a some people who can't read and want to interject what they thought someone was thinking, you in particular being the most obvious.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:06:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personal Attack much?

Damn straight and well deserved.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personal Attack much?

Damn straight and well deserved.

personal attack?

that shit wouldn't even get you a timeout at kindergarten recess.  fucking ARFCOM these days.........................

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#41]
cop was right here is my example . 4 lane road with a turn lane in the middle our company drive wants to turn left is in the middle guy in left lane stops and waves him across guy in right lane hits side of truck hard. our driver is ticketed and at fault he could not see around the guy who waved him over and failed to yield to the oncoming car. I have to agree with the cop on this one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#42]
IF there was nobody behind you, why didn't you just go and let them make their turn right behind you, without holding up any traffic that might have been coming up from behind?  I could see doing what you did if there was a line of cars behind you, but if you were the last one then you should have just gone rather than sit still for no reason on a public road.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The Train had already gone through.....time to move your ass.....      Who is the freak with no reading comprehension????

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Almost every day, I see someone stop on a road - four lanes plus turn lane - I see someone stop in the FAST lane to let someone turn left from the turn lane, with no regard for traffic in the slow lane.  More than once, I have seen this result in a wreck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
IF there was nobody behind you, why didn't you just go and let them make their turn right behind you, without holding up any traffic that might have been coming up from behind?  I could see doing what you did if there was a line of cars behind you, but if you were the last one then you should have just gone rather than sit still for no reason on a public road.  

No kidding.  The oncoming traffic would have been able to turn even faster if you had just exercised your right of way, instead of sitting there trying to work out some kind of courteous hand signal silliness.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Almost every day, I see someone stop on a road - four lanes plus turn lane - I see someone stop in the FAST lane to let someone turn left from the turn lane, with no regard for traffic in the slow lane.  More than once, I have seen this result in a wreck.

This was a two lane road.  I would not have done it on a road such as you describe.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:41:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Because, as noted before, I was going to be turning left down that same road about a block or so.  I wanted to let them get on by so I wouldn't be holding them up to turn left as the traffic down that road was backed up from the train.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
cop was right here is my example . 4 lane road with a turn lane in the middle our company drive wants to turn left is in the middle guy in left lane stops and waves him across guy in right lane hits side of truck hard. our driver is ticketed and at fault he could not see around the guy who waved him over and failed to yield to the oncoming car. I have to agree with the cop on this one.

TWO LANE ROAD.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#49]
In your situation, things were probably okay, but I have seen several cases where someone didn't follow the standard rules for the situation and instead of doing what they were supposed to do, they instead stopped and tried to wave someone else on instead.  It often causes confusion and slows things down.

This can lead to wrecks in certain situations, like when other drivers anticipate your actions, and you don't do what they expect (like go when it's your turn).
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#50]
You were waving for people to make a left turn when you had right of way.  You were attempting to exercise control of traffic when you did not have the authority to.  This is how accidents happen.

If I come upon someone stopped in the road with a right signal on but is not moving, what am I supposed to do?  Go around you, except you are waiving people to go left when they should not.  Now you have increased the likelihood of an accident.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top