User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you freaks ever read the op? There was a GD train on the tracks idiot. Do you need a stop sign to tell you to stop for a train on the tracks?

The Train had already gone through.....time to move your ass.....      Who is the freak with no reading comprehension????

Oh the irony.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He was right, you were wrong. End of story.

I agree with hoglaw.  Nice as it is - it can be hard for turning cars to see other traffic and accidents can and do result.  I've had some close call from this and no longer accept such invitations.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with hoglaw.  Nice as it is - it can be hard for turning cars to see other traffic and accidents can and do result.  I've had some close call from this and no longer accept such invitations.

Again, this was a two lane road, so no other lanes came into play.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You were waving for people to make a left turn when you had right of way.  You were attempting to exercise control of traffic when you did not have the authority to.  This is how accidents happen.

If I come upon someone stopped in the road with a right signal on but is not moving, what am I supposed to do?  Go around you, except you are waiving people to go left when they should not.  Now you have increased the likelihood of an accident.

So, you would go around someone in a no passing zone on a two lane road with cars in the other lane?  I guess you also didn't read that there was no one behind me and I was going to be turning left off that road that was backed up once I made my right turn.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a question.

Was it a two lane road?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  The OP was right, the cop was a dick.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a question.

Was it a two lane road?

I am not sure.  Everyone keeps talking about four and six lane roads, so I am not sure where I was.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Cop was right you were wrong. Just accept it and be happy you did not get a ticket. Nobody could know what you were going to do down the road. What you did just adds confusion to what people do automatically.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#10]
the "WAVE OF DEATH" is what it referred to in LEO and medical fixtures in our area.
you dont know how many people i have worked on in ER that told everyone..

"but, they waved me to turn"
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe he was just pissed because you told him his DPMs 308 wasn't an AR-10!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the "WAVE OF DEATH" is what it referred to in LEO and medical fixtures in our area.

Kinda like what I said back on 1.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Next time Larry, just be your normal self.

Problem solved!!!

j/k of course...
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]
well i know around here the local cops are "encouraged" to have a certain number of "contacts" with the public each shift.

this can be anything from having a conversation with a civilian on the street or arresting a hardcore criminal.

this could be one of these scenarios.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The other thing...

The right of way is the way it is for a reason. It creats predictability. Predictability reduces wrecks.

I hate it when some do-gooder tries to wave me through or insists on letting someone in that does not have the right of way. It usually ends with me getting stopped first in line at the next red light while the do-gooder and the guy he let in make it through.

This.

I witnessed a bad wreck where someone waved a car to turn and the turning car got creamed by someone going down the right lane.

Doesn't sound like that would have happened in this case, but people "being nice" and not following the right-of-way still pisses me off.  If it's your turn to go just go, it makes everything easier on everybody.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#16]
no good deed goes unpunished
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You were waving for people to make a left turn when you had right of way.  You were attempting to exercise control of traffic when you did not have the authority to.  This is how accidents happen.

If I come upon someone stopped in the road with a right signal on but is not moving, what am I supposed to do?  Go around you, except you are waiving people to go left when they should not.  Now you have increased the likelihood of an accident.

So, you would go around someone in a no passing zone on a two lane road with cars in the other lane?  I guess you also didn't read that there was no one behind me and I was going to be turning left off that road that was backed up once I made my right turn.

You are ignoring the fact that I have no idea why you are stopped in the road.  No passing refers to not passing cars that are traveling in front of me, not stopped cars.  I have no reason to not assume you are broken down or simply did a shitty job of pulling over.

The whole point is there is an established traffic etiquette.  When you don’t follow it, no one can predict what you are doing.  Throw in you assuming responsibility for controlling traffic when you don't actually have control, plus enticing people to break right of way rules, and you have created a shitty situation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are ignoring the fact that I have no idea why you are stopped in the road.  No passing refers to not passing cars that are traveling in front of me, not stopped cars.  I have no reason to not assume you are broken down or simply did a shitty job of pulling over.

The whole point is there is an established traffic etiquette.  When you don’t follow it, no one can predict what you are doing.  Throw in you assuming responsibility for controlling traffic when you don't actually have control, plus enticing people to break right of way rules, and you have created a shitty situation.

What a crock of bullshit.  So, you are gonna pull out in a no passing zone when you can see cars turning.  Are you that shortsighted?  Maybe you shouldn't be so damned close if you can't see around the vehicle.

As I said, no one was behind me and I was going to be turning left shortly after making the right turn.

That street was backed up because of the train.  I would have been holding all those cars up to make my left turn.

I guess common courtesy is something to be scoffed at these days.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The other thing...

The right of way is the way it is for a reason. It creats predictability. Predictability reduces wrecks.

I hate it when some do-gooder tries to wave me through or insists on letting someone in that does not have the right of way. It usually ends with me getting stopped first in line at the next red light while the do-gooder and the guy he let in make it through.

This.

I witnessed a bad wreck where someone waved a car to turn and the turning car got creamed by someone going down the right lane.

Doesn't sound like that would have happened in this case, but people "being nice" and not following the right-of-way still pisses me off.  If it's your turn to go just go, it makes everything easier on everybody.  

What part of "two lane road" are you people failing to understand.

Had it been a four lane or more, I would not have done it, as I have already said.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda like what I said back on 1.

One more time, TWO LANE ROAD.  Who is gonna hit them?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was right a cop , you were wrong not. End of story.

Fixed

That is not my point as every GSP trooper I have met has been a nice person and very professional.

This just didn't make any sense.

I've seen professional dickheads.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here in Louisville people do that all the time (let other people go out of turn or whatnot) and I do worry that it's going to cause a wreck. I do notice that drivers here are a lot more courteous (than in Ohio) but sometimes it is to the point of risk.

I almost rear-ended someone on Shelbyville Rd Saturday when they stopped at a flashing yellow light.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#23]

I guess I missed it.

What law did the OP violate to get pulled over?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I hate it when I'm making a left hand turn and somebody is making a right hand turn and tries to wave me on. I wave them on back instead. They have the right-of-way and they're supposed to go. I'm not going to risk being at fault in an accident because they were nice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have actually been told this very thing by many friends of mine who are cops.  You don't stop the flow of traffic to be "nice", even though there was noone behind you.  It is a ticketable offense here in MA and RI to do so.

Not sure if it's illegal here, but my GF got in a pretty bad wreck because a good Samaritan waved her out.  Unfortunately for her and, particularly for her Lexus, said Samaritan didn't check to see what was coming from behind her.  The result was a nice T-boning, a totaled Lexus, and back problems for the GF.  Bad news.

Another poster mentioned the importance of the predictability of the flow of traffic.  To him, I say +1.

ETA:
Quoted:
I hate it when I'm making a left hand turn and somebody is making a right hand turn and tries to wave me on. I wave them on back instead. They have the right-of-way and they're supposed to go. I'm not going to risk being at fault in an accident because they were nice.

This.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I was behind some stupid woman driver at a red light the other day. She and I are both turning right and there is an old lady in oncoming traffic in the left turn lane. The light turns green and instead of the idiot in front of me making a right hand turn she starts waving the old lady to cross in front of us to make her left turn. The old lady doesn't want to go because it isn't her turn and the lady in front of me just keeps waving her on. I let this go on for about 3 seconds before I pull up to within a foot of her bumper and lay on the horn.

She finally went and I stayed on her ass and on the horn until she pulled off to the side and let everyone pass.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

He said he had worked wrecks where someone did what I was doing and it caused a wreck.

You should have said, "Hey you inbred, hillybilly retard, when they're not on NASCAR they're called traffic accidents.  Go make out with your sister some more."

That probably would have helped things, but YMMV.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#28]
A word of caution to the OP.A few years ago I followed a civil court case of a man waving someone thru.
The guy was hit and killed,His family sued the guy who waved him thru and won.
I'd be careful of doing that from now on,never know what could happen
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I guess I missed it.
What law did the OP violate to get pulled over?

Obstructing Traffic.......

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a crock of bullshit.  So, you are gonna pull out in a no passing zone when you can see cars turning.  Are you that shortsighted?  Maybe you shouldn't be so damned close if you can't see around the vehicle.

As I said, no one was behind me and I was going to be turning left shortly after making the right turn.

That street was backed up because of the train.  I would have been holding all those cars up to make my left turn.

Dude, this seriously isn't that difficult to understand. YOU have the right of way. That does not give you the right to direct traffic or decide who gets the right of way. You have the right of way, you drive. It really is that simple. Doing anything else is not following the rules of the road, and adds a certain amount of unpredictability to the situation. So you would have been holding up traffic to make your left... that is just how it works out sometimes. Right of way rules are not always the most efficient way of doing things but you are trading efficiency for predictability. People have a hard enough time following the rules of the road and driving properly as is. The last thing we need is people making judgement calls about what is best for the flow of traffic instead of just following the rules of the road and letting the flow of traffic work itself out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh the irony.

Quoted:
Yesterday, I was waiting to make a right turn onto a street that crossed railroad tracks.  After the train got by, everyone ahead of me waiting in line went.  .

Where's the irony?  All I see is a story where one car decided to stop at an intersection where there is no stop sign and no one was in his way to turn right.  He had the right of way.  Not following common rules of the road and doing unpredictable things causes accidents.  While the train was on the tracks, he was not yet at an intersection and was the last person in a line of cars...  
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#32]
The cop is right.
The traffic laws are there for a reason and even if you are trying to be nice your actions can possible cause problems. As long as everyone is following the same rules everyone else knows what to expect. Once someone acts outside the rules the other drivers are forced into the same. Once everybody follows their own idea of what to do, well, it ends up a cluster fuck.
Sorry to tell you this epecially since you were trying to be nice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a question.

Was it a two lane road?

It doesn't seem to be clear.  I'm going to watch this thread and see if I can find out about this.

Who has the keys to MS Paint?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#34]
If you have the right of way GO!!!      Dont be nice, JUST GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!!!  People expect you to do something, even anticipate it, and then you mess up the situation by playing nice traffic cop.

I have an intersection I go thru every day on my way to work. Almost every morning someone meets me at the intersection opposite me. They going straight and me turning left.
When cross traffic clears enough for SOMEONE to go guess what happens.  The asshole sits there being nice (or clueless he has the right of way)waiting for me to go. Well guess what asshole, I cant see you waving me thru with your headlights shining in my eyes, and now there is cross traffic again and we have to fucking wait again. There is no way to communicate your intentions to the other driver in the dark so I believe WHOEVER HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY GETS TO GO FIRST. So we sit flashing our lights back and forth like morse code, and eventually both end up in the intersection at the same time after getting sick of playing that game. I DONT KNOW MORSE CODE AND DONT PLAN TO LEARN IT.

To the OP, if you had gone when you were supposed to, what would have held up the other drivers if no one was behind you as you stated? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

I dont have a problem with people being nice, we need more of that in this country. Hold a door for an old person at the store or something. But GOD DAMN IT GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY WHEN ITS YOUR TURN TO GO!!!!

I feel better now, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

Cops are always right.  Just ask them.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh the irony.

Quoted:
Yesterday, I was waiting to make a right turn onto a street that crossed railroad tracks.  After the train got by, everyone ahead of me waiting in line went.  .

Where's the irony?  All I see is a story where one car decided to stop at an intersection where there is no stop sign and no one was in his way to turn right.  He had the right of way.  Not following common rules of the road and doing unpredictable things causes accidents.  While the train was on the tracks, he was not yet at an intersection and was the last person in a line of cars...  

Traffic was already stopped.  I didn't just suddenly stop in the middle of the road.

Boy, reading comprehension has dropped like crazy around here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The cop is right.
The traffic laws are there for a reason and even if you are trying to be nice your actions can possible cause problems. As long as everyone is following the same rules everyone else knows what to expect. Once someone acts outside the rules the other drivers are forced into the same. Once everybody follows their own idea of what to do, well, it ends up a cluster fuck.
Sorry to tell you this epecially since you were trying to be nice.

What a crock of bullshit.  It was a motherfucking two lane road.  And that is some distorted reasoning.  Someone is nice, so everyone follows their own idea.  They were forced to do something.

Jeez.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#38]
You've been here long enough. You know the rules about MS Paint.

I need to see a diagram of this intersection before I cast judgment.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, this seriously isn't that difficult to understand. YOU have the right of way. That does not give you the right to direct traffic or decide who gets the right of way. You have the right of way, you drive. It really is that simple. Doing anything else is not following the rules of the road, and adds a certain amount of unpredictability to the situation. So you would have been holding up traffic to make your left... that is just how it works out sometimes. Right of way rules are not always the most efficient way of doing things but you are trading efficiency for predictability. People have a hard enough time following the rules of the road and driving properly as is. The last thing we need is people making judgement calls about what is best for the flow of traffic instead of just following the rules of the road and letting the flow of traffic work itself out.

There was no unpredictability at all.  There were two lanes.  I motioned the oncoming cars to go ahead and turn.

There was no one behind me.  What, is some car gonna suddenly drop from the sky?

As for holding everyone up to make my left turn, five seconds of letting everyone go ahead of me was not going to cause the earth to end and cause a massive wreck as some seem to think.

What's not hard to understand is that common courtesy is not only dead, you will get criticized soundly on this board for exercising it.

I don't think I am the one with a problem.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And was this worth a cop wasting HIS time on? Doesn't Shouldn't he have more important things to do?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Without the use of a taser this thread is quite disappointing.  I give it a two.  

Will a taser reach across a four lane road?

We are definitely gonna need MS Paint now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I have to agree with the consensus here.  Nothing irritates me more than being at an intersection with someone who clearly has the right of way, but tries to motion me into the intersection.

I don't want you to be nice.  I want you to be predictable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#44]
You should have just told him, "my taxes pay for your salary!!" that would have learned him!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And was this worth a cop wasting HIS time on? Doesn't Shouldn't he have more important things to do?

He should, which means Georgia is overfunded by one Trooper's salary that should be returned to the taxpayers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#46]
This thread has gone full retard
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This thread has gone full retard

Elaborate?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you wouldn't.  Somebody would have waved you through.    

You're wrong Larry.  Just follow the rules of the road and the right of way rules.  

Geeze, I am always bitching to Hubs about people who do this.  We have laws to establish an orderly flow of traffic.  Stop being the rock in the stream and just go with the traffic flow, OK?  

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't think I am the one with a problem.

Very very few agree with you.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Nothing gets on my nerves more when I'm driving than people who try to do me favors in traffic, and just end up messing things up and confusing everyone.

MS paint would definately be helpful, but it sounds like in this case everything turned out fine, and there may have been little risk in this case, but that doesn't change the fact that right-of-way is there for a reason. The GSP was probably remarking on the principle of the thing.

As someone stated above "I don't want you to be nice, I want you to be predictable."
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top