Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2002 12:54:20 PM EDT
OK, before I came here I used to think I knew the difference.......... now I don't think so.

What is the difference, exactly?

If someone chimes in it matters who makes it...... Does that mean I don't have an AR-15, because I have a PCR-4??? (example only....)
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
SKS:

Made in China/Romania/Yugo (mostly chinese, Romanian recently flooded the market, Yugo's are new, fancy, and limited selling)

Fixed, 10 round box magazine.  Wood rifle stock, no pistol grip.  Stamped or miller triggers.  Loaded by strippers, guide built into the bolt carrier.  Can be converted to accept detachables, but they suck.

AK-variants:

Made in China (56/MAK) Romania (SAR-x) Bulgaria (SLR) Egypt, E. Germany, Poland, etc..etc...

Detachable magazines, 30 rounders being the most popular.  Pistol grip or Butthole stocks factory.

Dead-ass reliable.

It doesn't matter much what kind you get, all AK's are pretty decent.  They are making receivers in the US now too.

Here is a pic of an SKS:

[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/5/94/48/29159448pTULRhQarP_ph.jpg[/img]

Here is a pic of an AK:

[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/9/39/34/24493934uRUhfBedGH_ph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
SKS:

Made in China/Romania/Yugo (mostly chinese, Romanian recently flooded the market, Yugo's are new, fancy, and limited selling)

Fixed, 10 round box magazine.  Wood rifle stock, no pistol grip.  Stamped or miller triggers.  Loaded by strippers, guide built into the bolt carrier.  Can be converted to accept detachables, but they suck.

AK-variants:

Made in China (56/MAK) Romania (SAR-x) Bulgaria (SLR) Egypt, E. Germany, Poland, etc..etc...

Detachable magazines, 30 rounders being the most popular.  Pistol grip or Butthole stocks factory.

Dead-ass reliable.

It doesn't matter much what kind you get, all AK's are pretty decent.  They are making receivers in the US now too.

Here is a pick of an AK.

[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/9/39/34/24493934uRUhfBedGH_ph.jpg[/img]
View Quote

LOL.  That looks familiar.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
SKS:

Can be converted to accept detachables, but they suck.
View Quote

Do you mean the detachable magazines or the SKS in general? My SKS rifles run like a bat out of hell.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have GOT to get new furniture on that thing!  :-)
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you mean the detachable magazines or the SKS in general? My SKS rifles run like a bat out of hell.
View Quote

Detachable mags.  The fixed box mags are pretty reliable.

But I must say, my Russian SKS and a buds chinese, with the factory mags, are still not 100% reliable.  We occasionally get feed jams.  My AK's run 100%, all the time, every time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I have GOT to get new furniture on that thing!  :-)
View Quote

I got the K-VAR synthetic set on my MAK90.  It looks great.  You might give it a try.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Detachable mags.  The fixed box mags are pretty reliable.

But I must say, my Russian SKS and a buds chinese, with the factory mags, are still not 100% reliable.  We occasionally get feed jams.  My AK's run 100%, all the time, every time.
View Quote

I hope to get an AK within the next month or two..I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!! Yours looks very nice!!!! [:)]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#8]
You got it huh?  I have been saying I was going to do it forever....  what's the link/part number to the one that fits the MAK?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You got it huh?  I have been saying I was going to do it forever....  what's the link/part number to the one that fits the MAK?
View Quote

Here's the link with the stock number:

[url]http://k-varcorp.com/image02/ak001busstockset.jpg[/url]

If you'd like, I can get you some pics of mine.  They look best with the black Bulgarian waffle magazines.  It required a bit of sawing/sanding/fitting, but the finished product looks good.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an SKS that was converted to take regular AK mags, not those weird ass looking detachable mags that are specifically made for SKS's. I've never seen another SKS like this. In fact at when I bought it at the gunshow I had 3 people offer to buy it off of me as I was walking aroud with it on my shoulder. I wouldn't have bought my SKS if it hadn't been converted to take AK mags. I'd hate to have to load with stripperclips all the time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have an SKS that was converted to take regular AK mags, not those weird ass looking detachable mags that are specifically made for SKS's. I've never seen another SKS like this. In fact at when I bought it at the gunshow I had 3 people offer to buy it off of me as I was walking aroud with it on my shoulder. I wouldn't have bought my SKS if it hadn't been converted to take AK mags. I'd hate to have to load with stripperclips all the time.
View Quote

Are you talking about a SKS Sporter?
NORINCO. Takes AK magazines. Comes from the factory that way. Thumbhole stock.
Pretty accurate. Extremely reliable too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Execution Style,

Yes it is a Norinco. Thanks for the info. Even though I bought it brand new I always thought that somone converted it to take AK mags. Hell of a deal I got on it too - $170 (that was 5 years ago). I like it. I think it looks like a BB gun on steriods, but it works great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#14]
If we are talking strictly semi-auto, the SKS is the better weapon.  My experience with both indicated better accuracy in the SKS, equal reliability, and overall better craftsmanship in the SKS.  The AK's sole claim to superiority was ammo capacity.  It's quick and easy to use the stripper clips on an SKS, so the AK's box mags aren't enough to convince me to buy another one.  Until I can get one in select fire, I've no further interest in AK's.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Can my regular old SKS be converted to take AK mags? It is a real pain to insert the magazine with the arm.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought my SKS 10 years ago new for 75$ for the price they dont get better.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Does any body know when,and who was responsible for the importation of the SKS/AK in this country ? ....my gunsmith swears that before these cheap 'commie' rifles began to flood our shores, The issue of gun control never a serious threat. Hard dollars went to our pals the Chinese, and the Russians, and our 2nd amendment rights have been eroding ever since.
And these fuckers are worried about 20,000, .50 cal. Barretts ? How many SKS/AK's were imported into this country ? Millions, and where did that money go(along with our rights)?

Gib (I got a'problem'with this)
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#20]
FALARAK, Here's a pic of my AK with the K-VAR U.S.-Bulgarian synthetic stock and a Bulgarian waffle mag.
[img]http://www.subdimension.com/community/subversion/politics/AK.jpg[/img]

Here's another pic of FALARAK's AK.
[img]http://www.subdimension.com/community/subversion/politics/AK2s2.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn that looks good on a MAK.  I am going to order two sets tomorrow, one for the MAK and one for the SAR.

Anyone wanna buy the wood in the pic above?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you talking about a SKS Sporter?
NORINCO. Takes AK magazines. Comes from the factory that way. Thumbhole stock.
Pretty accurate. Extremely reliable too.

The SKS and AK47 both shoot the dribble glass of rounds, the 7.62x39. My guess is you had shotguns before you bought the assault rifle.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanx to all that answered, I was mostly right on my understanding..........but something wasn't adding up, you know how it goes. Thanx

EDIT:

My understanding is that Norinco or businesses controlled by it is a part of the People's Liberation Army. And that the cost to build the rifles, esp. using prisoner labor, was mininal and the mark up was huge, as a percentage. Norinco funneled most of the profits back to the PLA.

The import business was also supposedly a froint for a spy operation, Norinco;s US employees were all PLA.

That is my understanding of it..............
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanx to all that answered, I was mostly right on my understanding..........but something wasn't adding up, you know how it goes. Thanx

EDIT:

My understanding is that Norinco or businesses controlled by it is a part of the People's Liberation Army. And that the cost to build the rifles, esp. using prisoner labor, was mininal and the mark up was huge, as a percentage. Norinco funneled most of the profits back to the PLA.

The import business was also supposedly a froint for a spy operation, Norinco;s US employees were all PLA.

View Quote

The Chinese People's Liberation Army is almost entirely self funded through Army owned Corporations. Norinco, makes all kinds of weapons (not just rifles) as well as ammo and sells them on the International Market.

As for the SKS vs AK47: The SKS is actually an extremely reliable weapon. It's chief weakness in not originally having detachable magazines and lack of select fire capability.
The standard SKS rifle held up very well during the war in Vietnam. Most NVA troops had SKS rifles. Vietcong had whatever they could get: but a lot of them also had SKS rifles.

The Chinese took the SKS rifle and made improvements to it. They created the Type 68/72 SKS which had a ROTATING Bolt, took AK47 Mags and had SELECT Fire capabilities. On their Type 72 rifles they included a gas regulator.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I have no experience with AKs or their clones but a fair amount of time with SKS rifles.

Every SKS I've owned (five or so) and seen (another five or so) has performed with 99-100% reliability. The only problems were from cheap 30 round USA mags. Toss them and go back to the fixed ten or twenty rounders and reliability hits 100% again.

Good choice for burial and resurrection during SHTF scenarios.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#26]
The difference?  Nobody has mentioned action style.

The SKS uses a "tipping bolt" style action, while the AK uses a rotating bolt head whose apperance is very similar to a bolt action rifle (in that it has 2 locking lugs and rotates 90 degrees to lock/unlock.)

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even though I bought it brand new I always thought that somone converted it to take AK mags.
View Quote

It is called a "Model D" according to the website below:

[url]http://www.simonov.net/ubertypes.htm[/url]
View Quote

Holy crap dude! TYPE D it is then. I didn't know about that webpage.
Mine is the thumbhole stock on top. I took it off and replaced it with a Fiberforce Dragunov stock.
I love it. Ammo is cheap too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Here's the link with the stock number:

[url]http://k-varcorp.com/image02/ak001busstockset.jpg[/url]

If you'd like, I can get you some pics of mine.  They look best with the black Bulgarian waffle magazines.  It required a bit of sawing/sanding/fitting, but the finished product looks good.

View Quote

Thanks!  I got two sets ordered today.  Time for a facelift on the MAK and the SAR.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oly,
   Look this is what I mean. Why allow importation of millions of cheap SKS's and AK's, by an enemy that is committed to our destruction, and everyone else's that doesn't toe the 'party' line. Taiwan, Tibet, as you pointed out, slave labor. The list is endless. I have no problem with those that legally own and fire 'commie' weapons and ammo. I do have a problem, however, with the bastards that allowed the import of these weapons. I'd like to find out who the bastards were, and what was the logic in putting these weapons into circulation in the US. I'm not blameing the nameless poor in the US, who are now are able to afford a weapons, that was used against US troops in Korea, and Vietnam. But this IMHO is something that is going to bite us on the ass. I talked to an army buddy of mine that was in my unit in Vietnam. He is a reserve LEO in the LA area, he told me that "there are area's where the bastards are sniping at us with AK's, I never thought I live to see that again."...it shocked me, and made me think were this is all leading... 'and it don't take a weather man'....

Gib (you can call me a commie basher)
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Slave labor in TAIWAN? That's a new one![:D]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Slave labor in TAIWAN? That's a new one![:D]
View Quote

SKI,
   you missed my meaning, by that sentence I meant the very real threat of war posed by the China/Taiwan dispute, the genocide in Tibet by the PLA, and as 'Oly' mentioned the use of slave labor to produce millions of weapons for  US poor.....     ;{>
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"there are area's where the bastards are sniping at us with AK's, I never thought I live to see that again
View Quote

Would he prefer a scoped, bolt-action rifle?  

You know, anti-gun groups also support banning these types of weapons because criminals use them.  Maybe they should send you a member card.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"there are area's where the bastards are sniping at us with AK's, I never thought I live to see that again
View Quote

Would he prefer a scoped, bolt-action rifle?  

You know, anti-gun groups also support banning these types of weapons because criminals use them.  Maybe they should send you a member card.
View Quote

They could, but they would be wasting 34 cents

Gib   :{>
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top