Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2009 6:07:45 PM EDT
Politically incorrect or aint used enough nowadays-  Whatta yall think?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
not used enough
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I think its a bit much and I spanked my children. Using objects is going too far IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Not used nearly enough. When we were kids, my brother, sister, and I would hide my dad's belt from him. Granted, we never hid it for long. The threat of him using it on us worse after he found it was enough for us to give it back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Usually Politically Correct = BAD

The belt is good. Applied sparingly. After it is applied a few times, just the brandishing of it is usually enough to diffuse a "situation". To answer you however, it is not used enough today.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If you spare the rod you spoil the child
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can't handle a child with an empty hand you really shouldn't be allowed to breed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my ass handed to me when I was outta line. I don't disagree with a whoopin at all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It worked for me.
I even got the belt from my grade school principal once.  I was being a little bastard and had it coming.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have to use it, you've probably already failed.

That said, it should be on the table.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Unnecessary.  Only purpose is to satisfy adults who feel powerless and frustrated with their lives, so get off on the feeling of power it gives them to hit children.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#11]
You damn right it worked for me, as well as a couple of backhands from my dad and some "switches" to the back of the thighs from my grandma. It only took a couple of times, from then on I had learned my lesson....and turned out pretty good...at least according to my dad!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I got more than my fair share with hands, paddles, switches, belts... I have spanked my kids, but it's hand only.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It worked for me.

I even got the belt from my grade school principal once. I was being a little bastard and had it coming.

I had a science teacher that cut the blade off of a gaolie stick and used the rest as a paddle.  You did not step out of line in his class.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Those who say that a spanking is not right are the ones who were spanked a lot as a child because they always got into trouble.

If You Spare the Rod, you spoil the child

We all know what happens when you let something spoil, it goes bad. That's exactly what will happen if you spoil a child they will think they are going to get everything they want in life and will throw temper tantrums when they don't get things. You have to put them into check. This is why we have the problems we have today. Not enough people are spanking their children
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Not used nearly enough.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Never had one taken to me, and I've never (and will never) taken one to my children. Personally - I think it's over the line.

Far be it from me to legislate it as such, but you wanted an opinion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Unnecessary.  Only purpose is to satisfy adults who feel powerless and frustrated with their lives, so get off on the feeling of power it gives them to hit children.

I dont get off on it, I hate it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#18]
What's really fun is in russia stinging nettle grows really tall.  Me being a little bastard who pissed off mom and nettle being very close by.   On the legs.... ouch.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#19]
My dada never did...My mom did because she was weak. It never really hurt though. I think they just wanted to scare me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you can't handle a child with an empty hand you really shouldn't be allowed to breed.

An empty hand could do more damage than a belt. We are not talking about a caneing here, we are talking about making it sting a little. I guess it is the difference in how everyone was raised.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes to both.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Ya I got my ass beat from time to time as a kid. Sometimes it was with a belt, sometimes a hand. Point is, I learned my lesson and didn't turn out a fuckhead like a lot of people.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh, there was one night when the wifey and I got a little too drunk...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#24]
BELT FTW, i knew when the belt came out it was game over.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

An empty hand could do more damage than a belt. We are not talking about a caneing here, we are talking about making it sting a little. I guess it is the difference in how everyone was raised.

If you really want to get their attention use a switch. It don't take much.
Yes I believe in spankings with whatever it takes. Children will naturally test the bonderies, it's your job to show them where they are.
I think the lack of discipline is one of the major problems with the kids these days. If you can keep your kids in line without a spanking then fine.
But if they need their ass's whipped, then by all means get to it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah.... My Dad really got off on beating me. He beat me a lot, many times for no reason, always with an object of some sort. What kind of man beats a 18 month old? He has openly stated to me and others that I terrify him now. I wonder why?

My Dad has always been a real fuck up. In addition to that, he has serious TPS and documented narcisstic personality disorder for which he was treated for years. He was OK when he was on his meds, then he went off of them, and now they don't work any more, so we are stuck with his stupid ass like he is until he dies, and he gets worse every day.

He buys equipment he is too stupid to learn how to use properly, like his chainsaw for instance. See, if he reads the manual then that is threatening to his ego, and his personality disorder won't let that happen, so no proper technique or maintenance for Dad, and when it breaks or the tree falls on him which has happened twice now, it is the manufacturer's fault or the chainsaw designer's fault, but not his. When my 5 year old nephew came to visit, I told my Dad if he touched the chainsaw, even to move it, while my nephew was a round, that I would shoot him in the ass with my .45. He got that nervous look on his face like he does when I am around, and he didn't touch the fucking thing until the boy was gone, and I mean ten seconds after he was out of sight

Dad says I have a "darkness" in me. I say, "I wonder why." He says I frighten people, I say, "No, just you, everybody else seems to like me."

As ye sow, so shall ye reap. Abuse your kids and see what happens. BTW, you need to read On Killing by Grossman. Did you know that 100% of serial killers were abused as children?

My dirty little secret is that I really enjoy terrorizing that insipid fucker. Payback is a medevac, eh?

Go ahead. Beat your kids. I am sure it is for their own good.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#27]
As a kid, all it took was the threat of a belt, I think I was only spanked maybe 2 or 3 times.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#28]
It has it's place.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sorry for what happened to you but that is not the proper use of corporal punishment. My parents used it responsibly with a system of cause and effect.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.... My Dad really got off on beating me. He beat me a lot, many times for no reason, always with an object of some sort. What kind of man beats a 18 month old? He has openly stated to me and others that I terrify him now. I wonder why?

My Dad has always been a real fuck up. In addition to that, he has serious TPS and documented narcisstic personality disorder for which he was treated for years. He was OK when he was on his meds, then he went off of them, and now they don't work any more, so we are stuck with his stupid ass like he is until he dies, and he gets worse every day.

He buys equipment he is too stupid to learn how to use properly, like his chainsaw for instance. See, if he reads the manual then that is threatening to his ego, and his personality disorder won't let that happen, so no proper technique or maintenance for Dad, and when it breaks or the tree falls on him which has happened twice now, it is the manufacturer's fault or the chainsaw designer's fault, but not his. When my 5 year old nephew came to visit, I told my Dad if he touched the chainsaw, even to move it, while my nephew was a round, that I would shoot him in the ass with my .45. He got that nervous look on his face like he does when I am around, and he didn't touch the fucking thing until the boy was gone, and I mean ten seconds after he was out of sight

Dad says I have a "darkness" in me. I say, "I wonder why." He says I frighten people, I say, "No, just you, everybody else seems to like me."

As ye sow, so shall ye reap. Abuse your kids and see what happens. BTW, you need to read On Killing by Grossman. Did you know that 100% of serial killers were abused as children?

My dirty little secret is that I really enjoy terrorizing that insipid fucker. Payback is a medevac, eh?

Nobody has said here that beating your kids is good. There's a big difference between a spanking and a beating.
I never beat my daughter but she got spanked when she needed it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
not used enough

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I used the same thing on my kids as was used on me. Belt or switch.  My kids only got a whuppin maybe twice in their lives. It worked on me and it worked on them. My wife was disciplined the same. None of us have ever been to a school principals office or arrested of have turned into wild eyed criminals.

Your kids, your choice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nobody has said here that beating your kids is good. There's a big difference between a spanking and a beating.

I don't have a problem with a smack on the bottom, I do when it comes to using tools to terrorize little kids. Sorry if that didn't come through.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 my dad could have broke me in two with is hand but goddamn that belt and paddle stung like a bitch.

Discipline your children, a parents goal in life should be to do whatever it takes to make sure their child is ready for the real world. If your kids don’t respect you they won’t respect anyone. SO many parents are failing...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a problem with a smack on the bottom, I do when it comes to using tools to terrorize little kids. Sorry if that didn't come through.

Okay, notice the thread title "for discipline", not "for terrorizing".
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#37]
cerebral palsy acting up again...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, sometimes a beating is in order. When I was 17 I told my da to go Fuck himself.
Needless to say I never did that again. I got my ass beat up like a man and deserved every bit of it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

WTF?

If this is a CoC violation I apologize, and I ask that the mods remove it if that is indeed the case:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ITZBBV8Syg
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#40]
There shouldn't be laws against corporal punishment so long as it doesn't go too far, but as one who was beaten severely and frequently as a child (with a paddle) no way in hell will I ever hit my future kids.

I think it does more harm than good, I hated and distrusted my parents for years.  I see it sort of like I see abortion, it's not for me but I won't make that decision for others.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's the word that they tend to use, "discipline".
Edited to add: Wanna hear about the Coporra incident?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

If this is a CoC violation I apologize, and I ask that the mods remove it if that is indeed the case:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ITZBBV8Syg

You have some serious anger issues , sell your guns before you do something stupid.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You have some serious anger issues , sell your guns before you do something stupid.

Gosh, thanks Dr. Phil.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, ole man.  Growing up, I got my ass handed to me on several occasions.  I got the belt several times in my life.  I also had to go cut my own switch a few times.  Do I feel like I was terrorized or abused?  Hell no!  I learned alot from those times in my life.  Did I hate my parents for it?  An even bigger hell no!  Actually, I love them more for it now.  I owe a good head on my shoulders to a few good ass whoopings as a child.  And no, I'm not the old man you think I am.  I'm 32 years old so it wasn't as long ago as you might think.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 my dad could have broke me in two with is hand but goddamn that belt and paddle stung like a bitch.

Discipline your children, a parents goal in life should be to do whatever it takes to make sure their child is ready for the real world. If your kids don’t respect you they won’t respect anyone. SO many parents are failing...

This doesn't implicate ANYONE in this thread (and I mean that), but for far too many parents, physical pain is the only tool they have in their toolbox.

My daughter (7 years old) has been spanked less than 10 times in her life, and all were before she was old enough to remember it. Once she clearly understood commands, it was no longer necessary. My son has never had a hand taken to him. It's never been necessary. In my parenting style (and that of my parents, really) spanking is an absolute last resort. It's extremely rare. I've never used a belt, and I don't need to.

Both of my kids are extremely well behaved, and it wasn't by chance. It's hard work, but I run into too many shit head kids that never had the rod spared.

Ever hear someone joke about cutting a switch, and noting that the tree in the front yard was bare? I always wanted to say "Guess what genius, it means what you're doing isn't fucking working, you dolt". When the spankings don't reliably correct behavior, what's next, the rack?

The problem I see with many parents is that they either beat their kids regularly and little else (with poor results), or they don't do much of anything at all (again, with poor results).
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I was a slow learner...  I got the belt all the time, but deserved it too.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Not enough.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's the word that they tend to use, "discipline".
Edited to add: Wanna hear about the Coporra incident?

No.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Hate to paint with a broad brush, but EVERY person I actually have met who cringes at the idea of using corporal punishment has kids that act up, tear up, and refuse to listen to them.

If you are the exception, good for you.

If you are able to control your kids without ever spanking them, great.

Just don't think that everyone's kids are the little agels yours are, and accept the possibility that others may not think as highly of YOUR children as you do.

Not all kids are wired the same.

ETA:

I just think it should be a tool in the box.
Not every job needs a hammer, but have you ever tried to drive a nail with a pair of pliers?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#50]
if used properly for the right reasons, it is effective.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top