Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2009 7:51:27 AM EDT
My CCW weapon is a Dan Wesson CBOB (Commander sized 1911). I carry the gun, and that's it. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to also carry an extra mag or 2 on me, or is that overkill? I figure that if I ever do have to use it, 8 well placed .45acp rounds should be plenty.

What do you think? Anyone else NOT carry extra mags on them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
no
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#2]
IBT1911H

(In Before Teh 1911 Haters)
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't.  

In before the tactical keyboard operators berate people for carrying less than 60 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Naah - 1 Mag is fine.

Many folks fancy themselves getting into a Heat type gunfight.... not bloody likely.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't.  

In before the tactical keyboard operators berate people for carrying less than 60 rounds.

You've clearly had not an ounce of professional instruction in your life.

OP:
At least one spare mag is needed in the event of a mag-related malfunction. Round count is a secondary consideration.

I carry two spare mags, whether it's a 8 round 1911 or my 17 round G34.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I leave extra mags in the truck.
Hard enough to conceal the Firearm.
Plus they don't make IWB holsters for mags.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont carry ammo in my 1911, it is so intimidating that they wont even think about shooting at me.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends on what the situation is. If I'm just running somewhere and don't plan on getting out of the truck, then I'll just stick whatever handgun I grab in between the seat and not worry about spare mags. But if I plan on being out and about, then yeah I'll grab a spare mag or two.

While a prolonged gunfight isn't very probable, the mall shooting in Utah proved that it isn't impossible. Better to have and not need, then need and not have.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#11]
2 is 1 and 1 is none. Sorry, but the weakest point of a 1911 are it's mags and not having at least one reload isn't very smart imoa.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]
i do and i dont it all depends. wen i dont its because im confident enough that i can get the job done with the 9 rounds in the gun. of all the guns i have i am most confident comfortable and accurate with my 1911. when i qualified formy ccw with it they were all in the ten ring
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
2 is 1 and 1 is none. Sorry, but the weakest point of a 1911 are it's mags and not having at least one reload isn't very smart imoa.

I'd add that the weakest point of any firearm is the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i do and i dont it all depends. wen i dont its because im confident enough that i can get the job done with the 9 rounds in the gun. of all the guns i have i am most confident comfortable and accurate with my 1911. when i qualified formy ccw with it they were all in the ten ring

Was the qualifying target shooting back?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't.  

OP:
At least one spare mag is needed in the event of a mag-related malfunction. Round count is a secondary consideration.

See?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone make an ITWB mag carrier?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure Milt Sparks, Tucker Gunleather and some others make IWB mag pouches.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's just it: It has nothing to do with being capable of ending the fight with X amount of rounds. Most civilian gunfights are over in less than 5 rounds fired by all parties.

The problem is that most malfunctions are magazine related. If you do not carry a spare mag and your mag decides "Today is the day I'm going to go tips up on Fammyman", you'd beeter have your mindset and HTH skills squared the fuck away because your day just got reaaal interesting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
See?

I said nothing about needing to carry more rounds and you said nothing to refute my quite clear point.

See?

You don't want to carry a spare mag, fine.

...but don't play off those who think you're nuts as "couch commandos".

Some of us know what the fuck we're talking about, some of us don't.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#21]
2 extra mags when driving. I will stick one in my pocket if I have to get out of truck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I must be a super duper internet tactical operator, because i carry 29 rounds with me.

Good choice on the cbob btw, I love mine, I just prefer a full size pistol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've seen IWB mag holders, just can't remember who makes 'em.

I WISH that someone would make a decent, comfy IWB holster (ie: Comp-tac Minotaur) that had some kind of detachable mag insert just forward of the pistol just in case.  Would make concealment easy and my pants are already bulged out a tad on my carry side.

Yeah yeah, I know someone is going to say carrying a mag that way prevents you from a good tactical reload.  Yes, I know that already, but at least you'd have a mag in the event of malfunction.  Carrying a mag opposite side just doesn't work well for me when trying to conceal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just it: It has nothing to do with being capable of ending the fight with X amount of rounds. Most civilian gunfights are over in less than 5 rounds fired by all parties.

The problem is that most malfunctions are magazine related. If you do not carry a spare mag and your mag decides "Today is the day I'm going to go tips up on Fammyman", you'd beeter have your mindset and HTH skills squared the fuck away because your day just got reaaal interesting.

i agree with you completely sometimes i just feel lucky
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My CCW weapon is a Dan Wesson CBOB (Commander sized 1911). I carry the gun, and that's it. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to also carry an extra mag or 2 on me, or is that overkill? I figure that if I ever do have to use it, 8 well placed .45acp rounds should be plenty.

Thanks

While I still believe that in most encounters the first two shots out of the gun are the most critical, there are other factors to consider.

What makes you believe that in the heat of battle you're going to have a chance to place your shots well?  Some BG's will be moving and shooting at you.  And most likely, the BG won't be waiting to get that well placed shot, he'll just be putting rounds in your general vicinity, he'll take any hit he gets, and the stats for this kind of shooter show he'll be getting some.  

As much as we like to make fun of the gang style of shooting, they seem quite good at putting rounds on target quickly.  They don't care that the hits aren't COM, the intention is to put you out of action with non lethal hits, then walk up and pop you in the head.  If you can't take him out with your first two shots, you're going to be moving for cover and putting rounds in his direction even if they're not "well placed".  You'll take any hit you can get, not doing so invites the above scenario.

Think about that, and think about only having 8 shots.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Didn't the off duty officer involved in ending the mall shooting in Utah have one extra mag, and he ran out of ammo?    

That was enough affirmation to continue to carry an extra mag, and I think I'll be looking for a dual mag holder I can use also.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#29]
nope

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#30]
you carry a spare incase of a malfunction first spare ammo second. an YES they do make IWB mag holders.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So sayeth the profane poet of ARFCOM, so sayeth we all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry and I always carry one spare on me and one in the car.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#34]
always carry two extra loaded mags on me in case one takes a dump.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thanks

Actually, you have a SINGLE Shot pistol.....if something happens to your magazine.   What if you bent the feed lips enough that it won't feed properly?   Better to have one spare around.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't.  

OP:

What about in the event of a firearm-related failure.

I hereby declare that you must carry two 1911s, and 4 magazines.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen IWB mag holders, just can't remember who makes 'em.

I WISH that someone would make a decent, comfy IWB holster (ie: Comp-tac Minotaur) that had some kind of detachable mag insert just forward of the pistol just in case.  Would make concealment easy and my pants are already bulged out a tad on my carry side.

Yeah yeah, I know someone is going to say carrying a mag that way prevents you from a good tactical reload.  Yes, I know that already, but at least you'd have a mag in the event of malfunction.  Carrying a mag opposite side just doesn't work well for me when trying to conceal.

Contact Raven Concealment Systems.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't.  

OP:

Some people do carry a 2nd gun.... however, magazines are much smaller than a whole gun.  I'd say for likelihood of use compared to size, extra mags are better.  But I'm no handgun guru in anyone's imagination.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#39]
7 rounds should be plenty in any situation that I would get into.  But I do have another in my vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#40]
My post from your dupe thread............

I think if you're going to go through the trouble of getting a belt and holster that can adequately support and conceal a 2.75 pound loaded 1911 and then not toss in another 5 ounces for a spare magazine you're nuts.

That's a lot of gear and weight to only have 8 rounds at the end of the day and no plan B in the event of a mag related failure.

So yeah, when I carry my 1911 I usually have a spare mag. More often than not, two of them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I have always thought of the extra mag as insurance...not surplus ammo.

The mag is the weakest part of any firearm. If i carry a weapon for my defense, why would I risk the one mag failing and NOT have a back up to bring the gun back into the fight?

Get a shitty pocket holster and carry one or two extra mags in your pocket if you don't want another mag on your belt.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, um, I carry 48 rounds, but it's a puny 9 mil.  I can't imagine only having 8 rounds, even if it were mushroom cloud .45's, but that is just me.

For me personally, I consider the risk of getting into an engagement with multiple armed threats significant enough to necessitate the need for additional ammo.  Moreover, I am living in a location right now where I only have one gun, my CCW pistol, so I can't just fall back to a longgun in the truck if necessary, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#43]
At least one spare mag.  I do what I do, and I'm confident I know why I am doing it.  Other people can do whatever they like, including carrying without a round in the chamber, no backup mag{s}, using ball ammo, open carry, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Or do what I, and many others, do.  Carry a BUG.  I chose the S&W 642 with a Speed Strip.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I'm officially confused.

You carry a BUG, and a reload for the BUG, but no reload for the primary?!?!?!?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What about the possibility of a nuclear attack by Iran while I'm at Costco? I should keep an NBC suit in the Battle Wagon, too...right?

You have to draw the line somewhere and you're trying to compare apples to oranges.

However, point of fact, I do carry two pistols on me.

Anyone who has done any seriosu force on force training will agree that the majority of the hits you take will be peripherals, to the hands and to the gun. When you have two people presenting at each other from a high ready, both getting off of the X and firing as they move...all while pointed COM at their aggressor/victim? Where's that front sight at now? The hands, likely, and the torso behind them.

However, I won't begrudge someone for not carrying two guns. To each his own.I never used to until I started taking FOF class with Simunitions and Airsoft. It's an eye-opening experience to have have, bloody knuckles at the end of the day.

It's cool, though. Keep carrying that 5 shot J frame or an auto with no spare mag.

You what that guy is? He's a fucking optimist. An optimist with either balls of unobtanium or a brain made from reconstituted peanut butter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#47]
i still have not seen a good reason not to carry an extra mag. i typically dont use a mag carrier when carrying concealed, just in my weak-side pocket.

i guess if you dont want to thats fine, its your business.

i personally would hate to be in a situation where i wish i had brought another.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about the possibility of a nuclear attack by Iran while I'm at Costco? I should keep an NBC suit in the Battle Wagon, too...right?

You have to draw the line somewhere and you're trying to compare apples to oranges.

However, point of fact, I do carry two pistols on me.

Anyone who has done any seriosu force on force training will agree that the majority of the hits you take will be peripherals, to the hands and to the gun. When you have two people presenting at each other from a high ready, both getting off of the X and firing as they move...all while pointed COM at their aggressor/victim? Where's that front sight at now? The hands, likely, and the torso behind them.

However, I won't begrudge someone for not carrying two guns. To each his own.I never used to until I started taking FOF class with Simunitions and Airsoft. It's an eye-opening experience to have have, bloody knuckles at the end of the day.

It's cool, though. Keep carrying that 5 shot J frame or an auto with no spare mag.

You what that guy is? He's a fucking optimist. An optimist with either balls of unobtanium or a brain made from reconstituted peanut butter.

agreed.

taking a sim round to the finger is not what i would call a pleasant experience.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Call me an optimist.

I really don't live in an area where I expect to get into a gunfight; armed robbery and murder are not common at all.  Thus I "draw the line" and make the assumption that I do not need to have a full size service pistol with 3 magazines all the time.

Do I carry the 1911 with 2 spare mags sometimes?  Yes, clothing permitting. ETA:: if carrying something as big as a 1911, why not carry extra mags?

Do I carry a .380 with 1 spare mag sometimes?  Yes.   Much more convenient for warmer weather.

Do I carry a snub nose .38 with no spare ammo sometimes?  Yes.  Also very convenient.

Do I only carry a small folding knife sometimes? Yes, if I'm going somewhere where firearms are not permitted.

Maybe if I lived in east Cleveland I'd feel different, but I don't.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#50]
I always carry a spare.  Better to have and not need...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top