4x your monthly salary?

What say the hive?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
i paid about 3
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I spent $3500 and at the time I made 40K. It wasn't the cost. I found the right ring at the right cost. Hope you do too. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on your financial situation and the girl you want to marry.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Back when I was engaged, we went cheap, cause we didnt need it anything expensive (even she agreed). Did decide to upgrade on our 1 year anniversary.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
use this formula

her bra size

X

how much you love her on a scale of 1-10 (1 least. 10 most)

X

how good she is in bed on a scale of 1- 10

X

number of meals she makes you a day

=

your number equals the number of $$ you should spend on her

Ps.
I got my woman a pretty nice 1.75 karat solitaire set in white gold for $9500...the sky is the limit!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I paid a little over 3000. I'm not rich, can't image spending much more than that on a ring.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

this.  and if she wants a big ring, maybe she's not the right girl.  

buy quality, pick a size/design that suits her hand, and know that marriage is much more than a piece of jewelry...  

and please, please don't spend a ton of money on it.  put it into something like a house or retirement fund or paying off debt or something...  

good luck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever you want to buy her is what you pay for. Don't fall into the fools game of salary shit.

Don't pay retail, try and locate a wholesale type store. Jewelry Exchange is good.

Stay away from the mall.

Places like NYC and LA have diamond districts, it can be very much worth it to buy there, even if it is a bit of a trip. Deals abound.

Stay away from places like Jareds and Robbins Brothers, they will rape you, badly. The ring I got my wife would have cost 15K at one of those places, I paid MUCH less.

Also stay away from cheap places like Zales; if you are going to drop some coin, at least make it something nice.

Lastly, jewelry is NOT an investment. Is has some metal value, but unless you are juiced into the diamond biz, they are worth next to nothing. It has sentimental value.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Figure out what size you want, buy the best you can reasonably afford.  Paying over a month's salary is absurd, IMHO.

For people with means, that is a ridiculously large ring.  For the rest of us, you shouldn't be going into debt prior to a marriage.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is the norm?

2x your monthly salary?
3x Your monthly salary?
4x your monthly salary?

What say the hive?

Thanks in advance.

Less than 1 month. Nice ring that she loves.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't worry about the money.  Buy her something that she'll like.  If she doesn't like it, she won't wear it.  My fiancee picked out her ring herself.  All I did was help her figure out her ring size and pay for the ring.  

If the woman is obsessed with the price, size, etc. of the ring, then it is a sign that she is probably too materialistic for you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Save yourself the money and don't get married.

Right now I have the joy of making the last payment on the engagement right, still paying for the wedding and honeymoon, and now I'm making payments on the divorce.  YEAY!!!!

I spent months picking out the ring, saving up everything I could to buy the best I could afford.  For what?  Nothing.  The ring is the symbol of a commitment, a plain band is just as valid as a 1 carat diamond.  A better or more expensive ring guarantees you nothing.  If she is pushing for a big expensive ring, then she is more interested in the idea of being married than she is about what it really means to be married.  Swingset put together a good audio episode about this, find his thread and listen to it.  I believe it is episode 6.

Just thought I would throw in some real world experience for you.  You, like myself, probably won't listen but hey at least I tried to warn you.

If you are still determined to get married make sure you see a counselor before you get married to explore your backgrounds, families, goals desires, needs, and how you communicate.  Trying to do so after you get married and fix the problems that come up doesn't work very well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd spend about 2 cases of 7.62x39 and hope she bitched so I could dump her ass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Find someone who owns a jewelry store and become good friends with them, it's the only way I could get a very nice ring at a reasonable price (about 35% of sticker) and it still cost me an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Think of the cost of the ring in installments for the REST OF YOUR LIFE .
you pour bastard ( just yanking your chain ) Good luck to you.
I payed $1500.00 for my EX'es but that was is 1980's dollars. Dam think of the guns I could have bought back then.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I just picked one up on Tuesday. I paid $3300ish
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuck, guess I was lucky and she was extatic about the cheap $100 from Wal-Mart. Showed it off every palce and loved it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Whatever it's gonna take for your fiancé not to feel embarrassed about the ring is the correct answer. Some women don't care about the size of the ring on their finger. Other women feel like the ring is a measurement of your love. If your woman is the latter, and you can't afford to meet her expectation, then you better dump her right now, or you're gonna be miserable.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I spent much less. My wife loved it anyways. She stopped wearing it when we had the little one, she was afraid she would scratch the kid.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I spent about $5k for a $7.5k ring.

Good friend is a jeweler and she ordered in some rocks for review, then some more, finally found the one with the cut, quality and size I was looking for.  She then made the setting and band  (I mean made it, lost wax, melting the platinum, everything)

I think it's a more meaningful ring then an "off the shelf" ring.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#21]
wtf sounds like some curch thing % of salary .this is not a weding ring!!! $350 wall mart and if it works, go for one of those nice diomond wedding bands 1200bucks max
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a friend in the business, I got a 6k ring for 3300.

That was my max, for making 40k a year at the time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This. If she truly loves you it won't really matter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

buy quality, pick a size/design that suits her hand, and know that marriage is much more than a piece of jewelry...  

and please, please don't spend a ton of money on it.  put it into something like a house or retirement fund or paying off debt or something...  

good luck.

Nice post, really down to earth  , I guess I was wrong not all women are materialist, gold diggers looking for a sugar daddy.  

what you save on the ring / wedding. You have for the 4 week honeymoon,  3 weeks in Europe & then 1 week in Vegas on the return trip....

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Buy something you can afford.  Don't impoverish yourself, deplete your emergency cash reserve or long term investments.  What ever you do don't borrow to buy it.   Your financial strength is more important to your marriage then a little ring.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I just put a little money every paycheck in an "engagement ring" account.  However much i had when i went to buy the ring is how much i spent. Got her a real nice 2c princess cut solitaire.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#28]
oh nd if you are planning to pop the question, Congrats i just got engaged in January.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

What is the norm?

2x your monthly salary?

3x Your monthly salary?

4x your monthly salary?

What say the hive?

Thanks in advance.

I purchased a .84 carat, VS1, color rating E diamond in 1995. I knew someone in the business and paid 3900.00.     Appraised value was around 5,000.  At that time I was making around 40,000 a year. Don't damage yourself financially over a diamond. You can always add more stones later in your marriage.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I spent about $5500 - but the look on her face when we were browsing was unbelievable - her eyes got as big as saucers.. There could not be another ring after that..

Brian
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#31]
You poor bastard.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Go with something you can afford, size doesn't matter.  

Get something unique, high quality, color/clarity, because if its big but has crappy color and clarity it looks tacky.

If she loves you, she would be happy with a wedding band...

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Get something you can afford. Don't buy retail. Haggle your ass off. You should pay at most 1/3 sticker price. Seriously. The markup on jewelry is sick.

I paid about 3 weeks take home pay for mine. It appraised for 3x what I paid for it. She loves it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What is the norm?

2x your monthly salary?
3x Your monthly salary?
4x your monthly salary?

What say the hive?

Thanks in advance.

Quality or quantity? You can get her a large stone for relatively cheap, but it will be ugly. Or you could get her a flawless 1ct for $25k+.

Just do your homework, otherwise you will get robbed.

When I was in the market, I think it was this site that had the best information: http://www.diamondcuttersintl.com/index.php/diamond-education/diamond-articles/

EDIT: The "Myths About Diamonds" articles on that page are an interesting place to start. Again. Do your homework.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

good luck.

Nice post, really down to earth  , I guess I was wrong not all women are materialist, gold diggers looking for a sugar daddy.  

what you save on the ring / wedding. You have for the 4 week honeymoon,  3 weeks in Europe & then 1 week in Vegas on the return trip....

Lol, I still like teasing Drew5337 that I want a diamond so big I can't walk strait!

It honestly doesn't matter to me the size, but I did make it clear that I wanted him to put an inscription in the band so that it would be special and just for me!

I also told him that I wanted a man-made diamond but he doesn't think so...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#37]
$275.00. I was 19 and paid for it at $20.00/week.

We've been married 31 years now, 3 fines sons and 2 beautiful granddaughthers. Everytime I try to get her to let me upgrade it, she suggests that why would I do something stupid like that.

Here's the rule, the amount of money spent on a wedding ring is inversely proporational to the length of the term of hte marriage. (studies have shown)
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Go to a Pawn shop to get the ring.

You can get a $7,000 ring for about $1,500 to $2,000.

And remember.....there is no such thing as a "new" diamond. They are all old.

I knew that there was someone on here that had more common sense than me.  Thanks pal!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#39]
$8k for my current wife's ring.

She picked it out, I am not good at these things.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#41]
I paid about $1200 for my wife's engagement ring and a ring guard to make it into her wedding band.  It has an emerald as the center piece and it was what she wanted.  She still loves it and still gets compliments on it after 14 years.
At the time it was 2/3s of a months salary.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I paid about a paycheck each for her engagement and wedding ring. There will be plenty of time in the future to put ourselves into debt, preferably for something a bit more useful to a married couple than a shiny ring. Get something you can afford and she will still like. If you strike it rich in the future you can always add more or bigger stones to the ring.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I paid way more than a month's salary when I got my wife's ring.  I think it was in the low 3 figures.  

We were in college and she didn't care how much it cost.  She liked it and is still married to me.

I have never been one to keep up with the Jones' anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I gave her the option of a down payment on a house or a ring; she took the house.  I finally bought her the diamond on our 30th anniversary.

The ring does not make the marriage.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I spent way more than I should have, however all these years later she treasures it and gets comments on it everywhere she goes.

I'm actually concerned about her wearing it from a security standpoint.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

good luck.

Lol, I still like teasing Drew5337 that I want a diamond so big I can't walk strait!

It honestly doesn't matter to me the size, but I did make it clear that I wanted him to put an inscription in the band so that it would be special and just for me!

I also told him that I wanted a man-made diamond but he doesn't think so...

Synthetic diamonds are less expensive, and typically of a higher grade than naturals, but last I checked you can't get them in white. There was a company (Apollo) that claimed to be producing white synthetics, but they didn't have any for sale when I was in the market. Yellow synthetics are stunning, imho. Synthetics also come in red and blue, I think. (Gemesis is one manufacturer of synthetics. There are others.)

After some searching, seems Apollo does have some diamonds: here. I think they can't make whites larger than about 1/4ct, yet.

EDIT: Lots of companies claim to offer synthetic diamonds, but aside from Apollo, Gemesis (and one or two others), they're lying to you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#47]
we went to helzberg and found some nice expensive rings she loved. the sales guy mentioned how amazing this ring was and how its a grade AA perfect clarity king masterpiece i'm better than you diamond. in fact he mentioned it at least 17 times after we told him we had dinner plans and had to leave. it was like a damned used car lot. so we said fuck him and went to zales and found a $1000 ring she liked better than the other ones. we didnt ask what the hell the diamond was graded at. nobody is coming up to her finger with a microscope anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Save yourself the money and don't get married.

Right now I have the joy of making the last payment on the engagement right, still paying for the wedding and honeymoon, and now I'm making payments on the divorce.  YEAY!!!!

I spent months picking out the ring, saving up everything I could to buy the best I could afford.  For what?  Nothing.  The ring is the symbol of a commitment, a plain band is just as valid as a 1 carat diamond.  A better or more expensive ring guarantees you nothing.  If she is pushing for a big expensive ring, then she is more interested in the idea of being married than she is about what it really means to be married.  Swingset put together a good audio episode about this, find his thread and listen to it.  I believe it is episode 6.

Just thought I would throw in some real world experience for you.  You, like myself, probably won't listen but hey at least I tried to warn you.

If you are still determined to get married make sure you see a counselor before you get married to explore your backgrounds, families, goals desires, needs, and how you communicate.  Trying to do so after you get married and fix the problems that come up doesn't work very well.

this

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=850263

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I paid about 2 1/2 months when I bought it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll tell you one thing. I think it's beyond stupid to buy one "new" and I'll explain why I say that.

I bought a nice ring for around $8k in 2004, finally split up with her, she gave it back to me. She is a good woman, despite not working out.

I decided I'd sell it, so while buying a bunch of silver coins from a local place that buys and sells coins and jewelry I mentioned the ring, and they said the most they ever pay for them are 10% .... so, do yourself a favor, go get a used one, ditch the setting, let her choose the ring, you install the stone you bought for around 20% of what people like me paid.

I was married for about 22 years before I got divorced and then got engaged to a new lady, for whom I bought this ring. I guess you could say I was "inexperienced" having only ever bought one before this one (and the first one kept it, lol, and good riddance too)

I am keeping the ring, there may be another engagement in my future, or not. I'm not interested in selling it for such a pittance.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top