BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A few weeks ago security was chasing a guy that had broke into a car here at work. The dude jumped off the 3rd floor of the parking garage and hit the ground running.

He got away.

PCP ROCKS!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The general rule in EMS is a fall of three times your height or greater gets you a ride to the trauma center rather than a normal hospital.

Crap, I forgot about that one.  And EMT-B was only a year ago.
Good for you guys I'm not an EMT, huh?

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#3]
As others have said... too many variables to say for sure, but with proper technique, people
can pull off (land) some crazy shit.

When I was a kid (6-8 years old), I used to jump off the roof of my house.... it was at least 15-20 ft up
and land it with a body roll forward. I never got so much as a bruise. I was always good at landing
from falls or when jumping out of trees, etc.

FYI, I've never broken one bone in my body (I'm 35)... and I've been in some nasty car and motorcycle
wrecks, played contact sports, lots of fights when I was younger.... I think alot of it has to do with bone flexibility.

I knew a couple of girls growing up that broke something almost every year. It was crazy... and these
girls didn't play sports or anything. Just knida odd.

-ZA
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC - there have been people whose shoot did not open while sky diving and they walked away with bruises.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a vet in New York who made some stufy of cat injuries from falls. As the height increases, the injuries increase until some point, then the injuries go down for higher falls. They think it is because the cat relaxes more and spreads out more for higher fall.

People used to throw cats from planes, and there are actual laws agaisnt this. They survived the falls quite often.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not how far you fall, it's how you land.

People have died in industrial accidents with amazingly short falls (in general industry, OSHA says you need fall protection above four feet); and, people have lived with faulty parachutes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top