Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2002 6:02:27 AM EDT
Here's the deal men:

I've been involved in action shooting for about 9 years now, and of late I've had a pretty big interest in getting a 1911 style pistol.

My current firearm is a S&W Sigma (.40).  Before y'all go off & tell me that it's a POS, etc, etc, I want to make it clear that I'm not considering parting with it because It functions poorly or because it's inaccurate.  While I hold my own pretty well in the local events, I've had a chance to fire some Springfield 1911's, a Kimber or 2, and the single action trigger pull of these is so much faster than my DAO Sigma.  Also, at an event last spring, there was a really stiff wind blowing at the backside of the pepper poppers we were using in the event & my .40 wouldn't put them down.  (The .45's were still levelling them with authority though.)  For these two reasons, I'm thinking about switching.

What I've got:
 the SW40F
 5 magazines
 Trijicon sights, front & rear (installed)
 reloading dies
 1500 rounds of ammo
 * an interested purchaser....

What I'm looking at:
 Colt 70 series pistol (99.999% - less than 50 rounds through it.)
 2 magazines
 (It is [u]sweet[/u])
 Asking price:  [b]$450.00[/b]

What do you think?  Unload the Sigma & jump on it?  (BTW - the Colt will be purchased through a private individual.  The Sigma [u]wasn't[/u], FWIW)
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#1]
In a New Yawk minute.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In a New Yawk minute.
[smoke]
View Quote

That's what a fellow shooter told me at work today.  I need confirmation from the people [b]here[/b] that know.  

Thanks Bearlaker.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Definitely!  I paid exactly that for one (no papers) several years ago.  BUT, it had been stolen and recovered and had a nasty scratch on the side of the slide.  Mechanically it is very nice.  As hard as they are to come by, and as desirable as they are--do it.  
View Quote

Please enlighten me.  I've become a .45 fan due to the functionality of the 1911 style pistol.  What, exactly makes [u]this[/u] Colt so desirable compared to the others?  (I ain't read a voluminous number of books on 1911's, so go slowly, please. I'm a Colt history [newbie] )
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Colt pistols were serious stuff back then.
There are guys here who know more about this than me, I'll let them jump in now, a3kid.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#6]
70 series and earlier don't have the firing pin safety.
I think that is four more moving parts to mess with and smooth up.
Interfers with the trigger pull a bit.
They can be smoothed up but it takes money and time.
If you don't get it email me and I will.
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Because it is a Colt. All other 1911's will allways be clones. The Colt will hold it's value. The series 70 is the best for the reasons cpermd stated. Just keep the sigma and buy the damn Colt.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$450 for a near NIB Series 70 ??

[b]BUY THAT SUCKER !!![/b]
View Quote

I'm starting to get that jittery heart-all-a-flutter new gun feeling........

Keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:32:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Because it is a Colt. All other 1911's will allways be clones. The Colt will hold it's value. The series 70 is the best for the reasons cpermd stated. Just keep the sigma and buy the damn Colt.
View Quote
                                    What he says.......[:)]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy the Colt.

The Series 70 pistols aren't as desirable as the earlier ones, but one in that condition is still easily worth $450.  

If you want more of a "race gun" for competition, you could probably trade the Colt straight up for a newer pistol that comes with things like a beavertail grip safety, high visibility sights, beveled mag well, et cetera.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Dump the S&W and get the Colt. Why ? Because Colt Series 70 pistols are good.

230 grain 45 cal slugs have quite a bit of mass and knock stuff down pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy the Colt.  You may have to pay a few $ to eventually upgrade it. New sights, smooth feed ramp/throat bbl, change grip safety, etc.  But the nice thing about a 1911 is you can personalize it to your heart's content (or your wallet's contents).

My department issues the Sigma and the F series are good shooting reliable guns, but we've found that they are prone to slide rail cracking when they go high mileage.  Plus, there ain't much you can do to upgrade a Sigma, sorry, sell that sucker.

Don't rush into customizing the 1911, shoot it for a while and ease into the modifications once you decide what you really want.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Vampyre,
What part of WV are you from? I grew up Near Charleston.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Is it a Govt model... A Gold Cup.. a steel Commander ..or a Lt. Wt. Commander
If it is one of the first three JUMP ON IT NOW BEFORE IT GETS AWAY
my ex took mine...and Ive been crying over it ever since....JUMP ON IT NOW BEFORE IT GETS AWAY....
At [green]$450[/green] [blue]ITS A[/blue] [red]RED HOT DEAL[/red]
[):)]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just keep the sigma and buy the damn Colt.
View Quote

[u]This[/u], unfortunately is not an option.  I'll have to part with the Sigma if I buy this.

(I know, [b]damn[/b].)
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a win to me. The colt 70 is a very nice gun and that is a great price my friend.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#19]
^ for the night crew....

Thanks for your input!  I'll check on this in the morning.
[:D]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Dump the Sigma and get the Colt.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Holy Cow !!!  YES!!!!!

that's a great price on the Colt.

& a helluva lot better pistol

I would think for competition shooting
you will notice a big improvement
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Grab the Colt, it's appreciation as a collector will continue to grow, above and beyond the fact that it is simply a much better gun.
And old Colt is better than new Colt, hands down.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy the Colt, if you don't want it I'll give ya $550 for it. That is a sweet gun. I sold mine in a fit of idiocy,and have been looking to get one every since. They have the MOST BEAUTIFUL blueing of any pistol I have seen. Seriously get it for you or for me!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#24]
That price is so good for a Series 70 1911 that I would look it over carefully to be sure there are no hidden defects.  Then I would BUY THAT SUCKAH RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW.  NOW.  BUY.  BUY.  NOW.

I hope I have made my opinion clear.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I've learned a lot on this thread.

BUY!

BUY!

BUY!

[beer]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#27]
70's are way cool.  

HURRY UP AND BUY!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:32:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That price is so good for a Series 70 1911 that I would look it over carefully to be sure there are no hidden defects.  Then I would BUY THAT SUCKAH RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW.  NOW.  BUY.  BUY.  NOW.

I hope I have made my opinion clear.
View Quote

So, y'all are trying to say I should buy it, huh?  Here's the story on the pistol (I know the original purchaser, and every person who has had posession of it personally!)

The Colt was purchased NIB in 1979, by Brenda (Bill of materials writer sitting next to me [:D] ) as a 21st birthday present for her husband, Brad (Service Department Manager 1 office away from me.)  He took the gun out and shot it a few times, cleaned it & put it back in it's box - "too nice to shoot".  It stayed there for 7 years until their first son was about 3 years old.  At that point in time, he didn't feel safe having the gun around the kids since he didn't own a safe, so he sold it to his father (former VP of Manufacturing of the company I work for, and the guy who hired me).

He has kept the gun clean and locked up since he bought it from his son.  He has never fired it, but he liked it since he carried one in the South Pacific shortly after WWII (Iwo Jima, specifically, Meteorologist).  He had a stroke about 6 months ago, that left him partially paralyzed on his left side, and he can't rack the slide anymore.  He wants to sell it so he can buy a .38 Special.

I've known all 3 of these people since 1980.

[b]I'm going for it![/b]  I'll keep y'all posted and post pics when I get it.  Thanks for your input.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Buy the Colt, if you don't want it I'll give ya $550 for it. That is a sweet gun. I sold mine in a fit of idiocy,and have been looking to get one every since. They have the MOST BEAUTIFUL blueing of any pistol I have seen. Seriously get it for you or for me!!!
View Quote

Have you ever see one from the late '30s early '40s?  [b]SCHLING[/b]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So, y'all are trying to say I should buy it, huh?  Here's the story on the pistol (I know the original purchaser, and every person who has had posession of it personally!)

The Colt was purchased NIB in 1979, by Brenda (Bill of materials writer sitting next to me [:D] ) as a 21st birthday present for her husband, Brad (Service Department Manager 1 office away from me.)  He took the gun out and shot it a few times, cleaned it & put it back in it's box - "too nice to shoot".  It stayed there for 7 years until their first son was about 3 years old.  At that point in time, he didn't feel safe having the gun around the kids since he didn't own a safe, so he sold it to his father (former VP of Manufacturing of the company I work for, and the guy who hired me).

He has kept the gun clean and locked up since he bought it from his son.  He has never fired it, but he liked it since he carried one in the South Pacific shortly after WWII (Iwo Jima, specifically, Meteorologist).  He had a stroke about 6 months ago, that left him partially paralyzed on his left side, and he can't rack the slide anymore.  He wants to sell it so he can buy a .38 Special.
I've known all 3 of these people since 1980.
[b]I'm going for it![/b]  I'll keep y'all posted and post pics when I get it.  Thanks for your input.
View Quote

Your one lucky dude!!
 Right Place at the Right Time!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Your one lucky dude!!
 Right Place at the Right Time!!!!
View Quote

The funniest thing about it is, $450.00 was the price [b]HE[/b] put on it - not what I offered.  Seems he had some other guy look at it a while back, and that guy told him $450 was a fair asking price.  (That guy was trying to steal it from him.  It didn't work - so [b]I[/u] get to steal it from him! [:D] )
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I pick her up tomorrow after work, didn't bicker about the price at all. ([u]That's[/u] a first!)

Will take some digital pics tomorrow afternoon and post them Wednesday - just to make y'all [i]really[/i] jealous!  [:D]

Thanks for all your input!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#33]
You might check the bushing and see if it's solid or has "fingers".  Some folks think there is a possibility one of the fingers could break off and jam the gun, so they replace the bushing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top