Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2002 8:02:48 PM EDT
Ok so I go to there web site and they say they take applications for non resident. So I apply and a week later I get a letter saying that I don't meet there minimal qualifications because I'm not an Alaskan resident.

What the hell is going on here? On one part they say you can apply for the job if you don't live in stat and then the next you get a letter saying you can't get the job because your not a resident?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe I'm missing something you tell me?

If you are not an Alaska resident and are interested in becoming an Alaska State Trooper or Fish & Wildlife Trooper you must meet the following minimum qualifications at the time of application:

Must have graduated high school or possess a GED certificate.

Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of employment.

Must possess a valid driver's license.

Successful completion of a basic police training program within the 3 years preceding the applicant's employment as a State Trooper, which meets the requirements set by the Alaska Police Standards Council (13AAC 85.050, 13AAC85.060).
OR

Possession of a current police officer certificate issued by the Alaska Police Standards Council (APSC).
OR

Possession of a current police officer certificate from a jurisdiction outside the state of Alaska which is recognized by the APSC as meeting its requirements for certification.

A waiver from the Alaska Police Standards Council if these training requirements were met in another jurisdiction. A copy of the waiver will be required upon request.

A copy of your certification of completion and/or a course description including hours of training and subject matter will be required upon a receipt of a request.

Never been convicted (by a civilian court of Alaska, the United States, or another state or territory, or by a military court) of a felony.

During the past 10 years, not been convicted (by a civilian court of Alaska, the United States, or another state or territory, or by a military court) of a misdemeanor crime that resulted in serious physical injury to another person.

During the past 10 years, not been convicted (by a civilian court of Alaska, the United States, or another state or territory, or by a military court) of two or more driving-while-intoxicated offenses or chemical test refusals.

Never been convicted of a crime of domestic violence.

Must not have illegally manufactured, transported or sold a controlled substance (unless you were under 21 years of age at the time of the act AND the act occurred more than 10 years ago).

During the past ten years (unless under the age of 21 at the time), have not used an illegal controlled substance other than marijuana.

During the past year, have not used marijuana (unless under the age of 21 at the time).

During the past ten years, not been convicted (by a civilian court of Alaska, the United States, or another state or territory, or by a military court) of a misdemeanor crime of dishonesty.

During the past ten years, not been convicted (by a civilian court of Alaska, the United States, or another state or territory, or by a military court) of two or more misdemeanor crimes.

During the past three years, not been convicted (by a civilian court of Alaska, the United States, or another state or territory, or by a military court) of three or more traffic violations (this doesn't include parking, equipment or title/registration violations/tickets).
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't suppose you're an Alaska Native?  I have friends in APD and the troopers, I also work with them on occassion.  They are specifically wanting to hire natives.  They are not coming out directly and saying that, but if you lived here you'd most likely know what I'm talking about  [:(!]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Do not be discouraged.  APD (Anchorage PD) and Alaska State Troopers are desperate for qualified individuals.  Yes, it would be nice if you were not white or male, but it probably matters little if you're not an AK resident.  Do not quit or be deterred.

They are desperate!  Most of their people are retiring soon.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]
didnt look to close at the title.  i thought it said PFD Perminant Fund Dividend.  i figured tayous1 was trying to file for it as a non-resident.  oh well.  they play commercials all the time here for officers.  they need em bad i guess.  here it all the time on the news about it.  everyone that has pulled me over has been a white male so go figure.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do not be discouraged.  APD (Anchorage PD) and Alaska State Troopers are desperate for qualified individuals.  Yes, it would be nice if you were not white or male, but it probably matters little if you're not an AK resident.  Do not quit or be deterred.

They are desperate!  Most of their people are retiring soon.
View Quote

I have tried for the Anchorage they told me that because I had my licenses suspended two years ago I was not eligible. But if I had a DUI over a year ago it would be ok and I could join or if I was caught selling or making drugs a year or two ago then I would be eligible.

I have Native American blood in me but I have to have proof of tribe papers and I must attend tribe meeting to call myself native American.

I don't know I tried to call the department of public safety to asking them what was up with them having a place for non residents qualifications if you can't get the job because you are not a resident. But they where gone so I left a message maybe they will call back today and I can find out.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have Native American blood in me but I have to have proof of tribe papers and I must attend tribe meeting to call myself native American.

View Quote

How much?  I have validation and BIA papers attesting to 1/8th blood, which is like the minimum valid proportion.  If say your mom is 1/4 or grandma 1/2, you can go to the Department of Interior Bureau of Indian Affairs and work than angle. It might pan out. There have been college professors with blonde hair and blue eyes crying for native preference and winning.  So you can try that avenue (though if you are an upstanding guy, you should'nt need this crutch in the first place).

From what I know, state residency is not a big deal, and there is a sort of LEO prep school here at the University of Alaska Southeast in Juneau that helps your application if you are under 21 or come from a background without higher education/LEO experience.  Look for the links in the Public Safety department.  Personally, I dont see any problems, just keep at it and ignore the barriers until you get a definitive disqualification.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Kodiak Police Department called me and told me they where testing next month but dame the plane tickets are high $2000 round trip
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kodiak Police Department called me and told me they where testing next month but dame the plane tickets are high $2000 round trip
View Quote

Ouch, try looking on expedia.com  I just got a round trip ticket for $411 from ANC to Cedar Rapids, IA next month.  Granted the ticket to Kodiak will cost a bit, but Alaska Air shuttles there every day (I think).  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Alaska runs on the F.B.I. system, thats Friends, Brothers and Inlaws and it's a tough party to crash.
Good Luck, Rabon...
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#10]
The F.B.I. method - That is a big N.S.  EDIT:  My cousin's dad is a state trooper and my cousin would get in if he would just apply, according to my uncle.

I was underemployed one time and took the Anchorage PD test one time.  There must have been 200 people in the room for one test session.  Ten openings, and there were other test sessions too.

I was at the right side of the table, and had a good look at the questionairs as they were passed along.  

A good proportion of the people had degrees, nearly all looked good in person, and no duds stood out.

We took a video test.  Watch the scenario, watch a video response, and pick the best response.  I would have chose damned few responses.  Most of them fell into catagories - wannabe rambos, social workers, rulesbook nazies, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I am not police material, but if they could not find "qualified" material in that room I don't know what they are looking for.

Based on the few run ins with APD I've had, I hate them all, except my neighbor (even his dog barked at him).  Why do they have to dominate and intimidate at an accident scene?  I'm not a cop basher, but,...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top