Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 4:19:46 PM EDT
My reserve unit's been called up. One year. They're sending us down south, not too far though. They've told us one year and we leave 15JAN02. So much for advance notice. There've been rumors and a lot of guessing but they finally firmed it up a few days ago.

The down side....(beside the away from home, wife, dogs)

I was enrolled in Paramedic school(to up me from my EMT-Intermediate cert) and was about seven months into it. Now I get to start it all over again, at a later date.

My wife and I are adopting a baby in February and I get to miss the whole thing. Including the first year of my son's life(save for a possible few visits throughout the year)which my wife will get to do all the bonding and I'll be SOL. Just means I have to work extra hard to win him over when I get back.

The up side....

Truthfully, I'm enthralled.

My reserve unit was activated 9/11 for two days and I stood where Tower 2 used to stand for about 16 hours and walked the "pile" and debris field trying to help in any way possible. I saw the death and destruction brought to our shores from distant lands. I don't know anyone personally who died but I have dozens of friends that do, and I'mm doing this for them.

I've been at home with my wife, dogs, and her cat everyday since 9/11, enjoying life and work. Not taking anything for granted. If any reservist ever complained about "losing" a year of their life I say what about those that lost THEIR lives? What about those families whose loved one will never come home.The way I see it, I'm getting off easy. Everyone is.

I've been a member here since the "old AR15.com" days and I have met some really great people here. I'm proud to go out there and serve my country knowing there are people here to enjoy the freedom given to us by our fathers and those who work to protect us today.

I have no idea if I'll be near a computer, and I was really looking forward to the Black rifle Convention and Bulletfest(especially!) but I'm pretty sure I'll miss them now.

Can I take my ARs with me?
What the hell do I pack besides my issue gear?
If I go out of CONUS what happens to my car on base? Do I have to store it myself or will the trusty government help out?

Take care all

Sherm

I'll be around til the 15th.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
... Godspeed [b]sherm8404[/b], see you when you get home!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Take care, man. At least, if you stay in CONUS, your family might be able to visit from time to time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Take care and THANK YOU for your service!  We'll keep a spot open for ya here by the fire.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Best Wishes to you and yours..

remember, shooting yourself in the @ss is not the proper way to gain the attention of others! [;)]

Be Safe!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Stay safe, young man.  There are a lot of folks who appreciate your dedication to duty.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for serving, good luck and Godspeed to you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#8]
THANK GOD I received my discharge (15 years) on September 9th.  Good luck, man.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Sherm guys like you make us old NYer's proud.Stay safe out there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Be safe and THANKS!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck....

and when I was in I remember hearing about an adoption expenses benefit. You should ask if they still have it.
Ask the real active duty personal center, your reserve people and the AD deatiled to them will be quite lazy and will lie and claim such things do not exist so as to avoid any effort, trust me on that (I got the first of the Clinton call ups).
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Good Luck to you and Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Good luck bro.

The MP unit I have joined is activated right now.

As for me, I am awaiting my Basic/AIT ship dates for 6.5 months of fun and sun courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Take care, good luck and Vaya`Con Dios.

Be Safe!

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Take care Sherm.  Thank you.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Sherm, you're obviously a real patriot - thanks.  Good luck to you and be safe.  Hope you can get to a PC now and then so you can drop us a line.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#17]
It is people like you who make America proud and keep us free.
Godspeed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Good luck Sherm, if you have access to a computer, let us know how your doin. Take care.

And.................GO GET EM  [50]

[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Godspeed, young soldier. Take care and thank you for the sacrifices you have made to defend this country.

Good luck and God bless.

T
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#21]

I have no idea if I'll be near a computer, and Can I take my ARs with me?
What the hell do I pack besides my issue gear?
If I go out of CONUS what happens to my car on base? Do I have to store it myself or will the trusty government help out?

Take care all

Sherm
View Quote

Sherm:

I am active duty, let me try to answer your questions. If I do not, send me an email, I'll see what I can do.

Since I do not know your unit, mission or mob station, this may be difficult.

Wherever you are, you should have access to a computer. Access as in, you can check email for a little while each day, probably not camp out on AR15.com all day.;-)

If you leave CONUS, you cannot take your ARs. If you deploy from a mob station, you may or may not be able to store your private weapons in the arms room. If you bring them on an installation, you will almost certainly have to register them with the Provost Marshal, or risk UCMJ.

Your mob station should have a vehicle impound lot for deployed personnel. It will likely be outside, on dirt, and secured by a single roll of concertina, in short not very secure. You may want to drop it with someone you trust or take it home prior to deployment.

Best of luck and let me know if there is anything else I can answer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats Sherm!!! Be sure and check 6

Don't take any of you're weapons. They will be requered to be stored in a armory where people will play with them.

Take you're car. On AF bases they have paved parking lots for long term storage. If you go overseas check into having Uncle Sugar pay for a professional storage company to store you're ride. Here again the AF will pay for storage when we go TDY and can not take the ride.

Most bases have morale computers with limited web access and unlimited e-mail.

Take enough civvies for 4-5 days, and lots of PT/Gym wear.

Besides you're normal gear do you have a good pocket knife and/or a sheath knife??? If not look at getting a strider folder and/or sheath knife. They are expensive but well worth the money. Plus they give a discount to enlisted military and will move you to the head of the wating list with deployment orders. Check these web sites if you might be intersted in a strider. http://www.striderknives.com/  http://www.badassknives.com/ and http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=737 Vinnie P on the strider forum has several blades avaible if you send him a e-mail.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I just want to take my ARs to my first stop. I wouldn't try to take them out o' the country. I was really hoping just to have them to meet up with AR15.commers wherever I end up. And my pipe dream is to do a road trip to Bulletfest if I'm still around and available.

And I heard different things about the security of vehicles during storage when you go away for extended periods of time. Most bad, some good. So I'm just curious. My dilema is, get stuck with no car far from home, or have it with me, but risk damage/theft/break in.

Sherm
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Go forth and kick ass soldier. Kill us some terrorists.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just want to take my ARs to my first stop. I wouldn't try to take them out o' the country. I was really hoping just to have them to meet up with AR15.commers wherever I end up. And my pipe dream is to do a road trip to Bulletfest if I'm still around and available.

And I heard different things about the security of vehicles during storage when you go away for extended periods of time. Most bad, some good. So I'm just curious. My dilema is, get stuck with no car far from home, or have it with me, but risk damage/theft/break in.

Sherm
View Quote

Just trying to tell you that most installations are not firearms friendly. Take them if you wish, but have a plan for dropping them with someone or shipping them back home. Be prepared on arrival to have to go through a ton of paperwork at the PMO, and to have them locked up in the unit arms room, if your unit has one, with limited visitation periods.  Or keep them off post at a buddy's house. Your mob sta rules may vary, but I doubt it.

Your assessment of the POV storage situation is accurate. You may get them locked up in a motor pool with a roving guard, or they may be stored as I described. Luck of the draw. I, too, would be concerned about security, though the USG does have some responsibility for its security.

Your unit mob officer should be able to get the answers to these questions from the mob station prior to deployment. That being said, if I were you, I would have a number of alternate plans, depending on reality.

If all else fails, call the PMO at the mob sta and ask them what their POV and weapons storage policies are. Keep their name and number handy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#27]
 Go forth with boldness, and our prayers.  thank you for your service to the Republic.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sherm
View Quote

I would leave you're AR's at home for now. Get to you're destanation and check into what you need to do to store them. You can always have one sent to you latter. Besides any AR15 commer would be more than wiling to have you shoot there AR.

Take you're car it really sucks being TDY or stationed without one. If it get dammaged while in storage visit base legal, they will pay you for repairs.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank You!....take care of yourself!

medcop
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If it get dammaged while in storage visit base legal, they will pay you for repairs.
View Quote

Shrike:

USG only pays after your insurance pays, requires proof of USG negligence, requires receipts, and depreciates any items lost or stolen.

Just had a soldier who was in school on post, get his car towed because the alarm was going off.  Towing and storage, $276, his problem.

Otherwise, good advice!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it get dammaged while in storage visit base legal, they will pay you for repairs.
View Quote

Shrike:

USG only pays after your insurance pays, requires proof of USG negligence, requires receipts, and depreciates any items lost or stolen.

Just had a soldier who was in school on post, get his car towed because the alarm was going off.  Towing and storage, $276, his problem.

Otherwise, good advice!
View Quote

Thanks for the help. I was actually thinking of putting a claymore mine and a pressure switch under the front seat.

Now if I can just figure out how to fit the DVD player I got for X-mas into my seabag...

Sherm
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#34]
TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!

Honestly, good luck bro. God be with you and your comrades.

"Be still, and know that I am God."
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Take care and Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!

View Quote

I could try, but like I said, ARs and the DVD player have priority.[:D]

Sherm
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Now how the hell did I miss this post?

John, Take care.  Seriously if your wife or you need help with anything local? (ie she needs something moved, whatever) don't hesitate to let me know.  You'll just have to give me directions to your place from the range since that's pretty much the only place I know out there. [:D]

I'm sure you have Ray's number and he has mine.  Don't even think of hesitating to call.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Sherm:

"Thanks for the help. I was actually thinking of putting a claymore mine and a pressure switch under the front seat.

Now if I can just figure out how to fit the DVD player I got for X-mas into my seabag..."

DO NOT try to register the claymore at the PMO!;-)

Buy an aviator's kit bag for the DVD/toys, it holds just about everything.

Good luck and God Bless to you as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Do you have a good folding knife or fixed blade?
Drop me a line if you need one.

Thank you for defending our country, God bless you and your comrades.
Take care.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!
View Quote

A local Marine infantry reserve unit was just called up for a year.  Be careful what you wish for.  

Good luck Sherm.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Hey man think of how much shooting practice I'll be getting in peace now that you won't be around harassing my lack of skills!  Seriously though, GOOD LUCK, take care and if there is anything you or the wife needs let me know ASAP, you do have all my contact #'s right?  Oh by the way Wilson Combat finally called and said my K9 shotgun was ready and is being shipped to my FFL today![heavy]

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!
View Quote

A local Marine infantry reserve unit was just called up for a year.  Be careful what you wish for.  

Good luck Sherm.
View Quote

I know, I know. But ever since the 11th, I've wanted to take a swing at these f*ckers. It's amazing that every generation of my family has had a man fight in battle since the late 1600s. If my time ever comes, I want it to be now, for this cause...

Hey SHERM... What unit are you in or are you not allowed to say???

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Be safe.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hey SHERM... What unit are you in or are you not allowed to say???

Semper Fi
View Quote

At first I wasn't. But now I remember back to late Sept and Oct when activated Army/Air Force units were being listed on MSNBC.com.

Not to mention, if you de a search you'd come up with my unit info anyways from some recent posts.

So OPSEC aside.....

HM3 Sherman FMF
LPO Weapons Co.
2nd Batt. 25th marines Garden City, NY

Semper Gumby(Always Flexible, the unofficial Corpsman motto, and Always Green)

Sherm
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hey man think of how much shooting practice I'll be getting in peace now that you won't be around harassing my lack of skills!  Seriously though, GOOD LUCK, take care and if there is anything you or the wife needs let me know ASAP, you do have all my contact #'s right?  Oh by the way Wilson Combat finally called and said my K9 shotgun was ready and is being shipped to my FFL today![heavy]

View Quote

You better be a marksman by the time I get back! And how come all the good toys showup in the winter and when I'm leaving! WTF!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Good luck and god speed.

Come back safe [:)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#49]

------------------------------------------------
Almighty Father, whose command is over all and whose love never fails, make me aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose and deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones and Thee without shame or fear.

Protect my family. Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance.

Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Make me considerate of those committed to my leadership. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold.

If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer.

AMEN
------------------------------------------------

Semper Fi  Sherm

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top