Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 9:27:48 AM EDT
As I would have guessed, most of the folks that replied to my first thread fall into category three:
3) The person who has a CCW, realizes the responsibility of carrying a weapon, and insures through training and practice that they are up to the task.

Let me quote retrodog, if he would be so kind:
"Unfortunately, there is the little thing called adrenaline. It will really screw you up when the time comes to actually use your weapon. Good luck."

Just as we encourage people to join the NRA and other pro-gun organizations, we should encourage participation in the shooting sports.  It will better prepare us and strengthen our ranks.  There is nothing that will prepare us for having to use our firearms to defend our life, and the adrenaline rush brought on during the heat of competition is as close as we will (God willing) get.

I have witnessed the shaking hands of competitors, LEO's who could not get their guns out of their holsters, and the most accurate shooter watch the RO score a miss due to the sound of that little buzzer.  It is my suggestion to all that are not currently involved/affiliated to add some sort of competition to their training.  As you know. you will seldom meet a better group of people than shooters.

Now for my follow-up question: "Am I my brothers keeper?"  If your answer is to the affirmative, then what are we doing to ensure others we know who carry firearms maintain profeiciency?  After all isn't this in all of our best interest?

All comments/suggestions are appreciated as usual.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Good thread rabbit.

Although I do go to the range and punch holes in targets I also go out in the country and practice drawing (hot) from my CCW holster(s) and engage multiple metal target stands that I have designed.  They may only be standing targets but drawing hot adds at least an edge of adrenalin.

In addition, I often have friends randomly scream in my ear as I'm drawing and shooting.  We do whatever we can to add some stress to the situation.

The result - I feel pretty confident that I could do pretty well if the need ever arose.

Practice, practice, parctice.

CMOS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top