Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2009 7:00:27 AM EDT
Used this for awhile, but occurred to me that others may not be aware.

www.inumbr.com

Free, no sign up, just a quick couple of checkboxes get you a disposable phone number that will forward to your actual phone. Really helpful with newspaper ads, craigslist postings or picking up random chicks who you don't want to know your real number.  

You set the expiration date of the number 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month etc., and can set specific hours when it will NOT forward to you, e.g. 9p - 8a or something like that. Callers record a short intro message and on the ring through, you can decide whether to take the call or let it go to voicemail.

It's so great because it's literally walk-away...no account registration needed.  You don't really give them any information that you cannot fake, except your phone number, and I've read the privacy policy and they don't sell, lease or rent your information.  Experientially, I can tell you I've used the service since 2005 whenever I've sold on Craigslist or elsewhere...I haven't had a telemarketing call in 4 years.

Most metro areas can get a number in their area code.

Pretty cool little thing, initially started by Craigslist, and it was called CraigsNumber, but now it's spun off on its own.

Check it out, or post your experiences here.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that would be a great idea for dating.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.

tag.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Sweetness.

Tag so I don't forget.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#4]
cool

I wonder how the company makes money?
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:08:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Now that is a great idea.  I was thinking of buying a disposable cell.  I have a couple of high end watches I want to sell and I don't want my cellphone inundated with calls after the sale.  Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for that little gem.  Never heard of it before but I will definitely be using it.

ETA:  I tried it and it works great.  It plays music in the background while the call is being made and will not foward to your voice mail if you do not want.  It also has its own voice mail that will alert you via email if you choose.  You do not have to give it an email address though if you dont want.  Awesome!
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#7]
That's freakin sweet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sweetness.

Tag so I don't forget.

This.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I probably won't use it but like the idea.  Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
cool

Selling your info that they said they won't sell. How are you going to know anyway?
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting. Do you work for them in any capacity?
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
cool

Selling your info that they said they won't sell. How are you going to know anyway?

They could also make money playing commercials over the phone prior to forwarding the number.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting. Do you work for them in any capacity?

Nope.  

I found out about it a couple of years ago.

Used to be called Craigsnumber.com  (part of craigslist)

Now it's spun off on its own, but is part of numbr.com which is how they make their money.

I've used this 80 times at least, and I have not experienced even a blip in sales or marketing calls.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top