Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2001 10:57:07 AM EDT
Who knows the secret for getting a deal.  Do we have a resident representitive of one of these fine companies?  Sounds like I'll need the optional insurance coverage.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The cheapest way I've ever got a rental car was to have somebody run a stop sign in front of me, but I'm sure there is an easier route.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you're an NRA member, you get a discount from a few places...can't remember where tho.
View Quote

Yea... I think the last time I got my septic tank pumped I got a 5% off at Alalmo or something; I am looking for a deal.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#4]
You don't mention if you're flying in somewhere and need a car or if your use is local.

Either way start with the companies "not" at the airport then start "dialing for deals."

The dates needed and the days of week needed will all influence price.  January 1 is probably more expensive than January 21 and many rental companies (and hotels/motels) have special week-end rates.

If you have full-coverage, insurance on your own automobile that should also cover the rent-car.

(Don't call the 1-800 numbers.  Go the extra mile and call the car rental places direct.  I've had much, much better luck working with someone actually at the place where I'm going to actually rent the car.  From "headquarters" -home of the 1-800 numbers, I've generally only gotten the party line and price.)
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Internet deals are the cheapest, and are not normally available if you telephone.

got to Travelocity or Orbitz and poke around for the best deals.  Once you find them, you can normally get an addional 10% at the counter when checking in by having AAA.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I surrender.
Abnormal deals are only available if you call.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Enterprise Rent-A-Car is the company we use for cars in Texas.  They have lots of locations in large and small towns.  There may be better deals but Enterprise is the best we found.  Cars, luxury cars, vans and minivans.  800-736-8222.

If you want a REALLY BIG van try CAPPS in Dallas.  We use CAPPS vans for family vacations.  At DFW airport 214-929-0003.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Enterprise Rent-A-Car is the company we use for cars in Texas.  They have lots of locations in large and small towns.  There may be better deals but Enterprise is the best we found.  Cars, luxury cars, vans and minivans.  800-736-8222.

If you want a REALLY BIG van try CAPPS in Dallas.  We use CAPPS vans for family vacations.  At DFW airport 214-929-0003.
View Quote

Thanks "Arock" that's the off-airport I was trying to think of. I believe many insurance companies also use/recommend them while your vehicle is being repaired.  I know my insurance did.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out [url]www.hotwire.com[/url].

You have to register first, but you don't buy anything until you know the exact price and class of car with all the fees and everything.  You won't, however, know the company until after you buy.  Expect that it will be Budget, though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Check with your automotice insurance company.  

In many cases, the coverage you would get with the optional LDW (?) from the rental agency is covered under your automotive policy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top