Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/19/2009 5:55:41 PM EDT
Alright, as strange as this thread sounds, has anyone out side of West Virginia ever heard of a pepperoni roll???

BTW: for you foreigners it is sliced pepperoni inside a roll of bread, sometimes has cheese inside it, best damn snack ever invented.  You can't go to a gas station in West Virginia and not find them.

Just wanting to see how many poeple know what the hell i'm talking about.  I have never seen them outside of this state, so I'm thinking it's a WV thing.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Stromboli... Pepperoni, Provalone rolled inside a pizza crust.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Alright, as strange as this thread sounds, has anyone out side of West Virginia ever heard of a pepperoni roll???

BTW: for you foreigners it is sliced pepperoni inside a roll of bread, sometimes has cheese inside it, best damn snack ever invented.  You can't go to a gas station in West Virginia and not find them.

Just wanting to see how many poeple know what the hell i'm talking about.  I have never seen them outside of this state, so I'm thinking it's a WV thing.....

Oh yeh, I have heard of them and love them too
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

you can pretty much find them everywhere in the US.

We usually call it a calzone, and it can be filled with a lot of different meats and cheeses.

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, and No it is not Stromboli, there is no Sauce in a Pepperoni roll
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
There's one place here that I know of that sells them (Southeast Michigan), an old bakery/pizza joint. I've been going there for 25 years. They make them fresh when you order one.

It's been a few months since I had one, I think I'll go there tomorrow!
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah, a catering company I used to work for had them as an appetizer option. I know the owners were from Maryland if that helps.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Theres not always sauce in a Stromboli, you may be thinking of a Sausage Roll.

<<<< Third generation Sicilian, we're known for rolling shit in bread.

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep! Everyone I have ever had was horrible. Don't even try them anymore. They always seem to be alot of bread, little cheese and pepperoni. Nothing like stromboli or pizza.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard of them and think that they are great.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Hot roll mix with pepperoni inside, then baked.

NO CHEESE
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We usually call it a calzone, and it can be filled with a lot of different meats and cheeses.

Not a calzone, or stromboli... totally different.  Not like a pizza option of any kind.  Just think of a dinner roll with a few pieces of pepperoni in it.  About the size of your fist.

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've heard ate ?? of them and think that they are great.

Is that what you meant to say?

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.... Pepperoni Rolls!
I have relatives in Fairmont. Used to go for a week or so every summer when I was a kid. Really beautiful place...... brings back lots of memories!
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#14]
yup
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#15]
When I clicked on your thread I thought, Who hasn't heard of these?Then I read & saw where you are from.They are good to carry in your pocket when you are hunting.
Used to see them only in WV, but now they can be found lots more places. I work out of state & get around a bit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Now we're on the right track..... yes, alot of bread little peperoni/cheese.  That's why it's such a good snack, fills you up!

Invented in Fairmont WV I believe, by some Italians.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres not always sauce in a Stromboli, you may be thinking of a Sausage Roll.

<<<< Third generation Sicilian, we're known for rolling shit in bread.

<<<<<<<< 7th Generation German Here, and I have really no actual experience on the subject except what one Pizza place guy told me on the difference between a Calzone and a Stromboli

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Yea we have them around here.  We call them hot pockets.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a calzone, or stromboli... totally different.  Not like a pizza option of any kind.  Just think of a dinner roll with a few pieces of pepperoni in it.  About the size of your fist.

Oh
I didnt realize it was a plain old dinner roll. Around here, if a calzone is stuffed with cheese and pepperoni, a lot of people just call it a "pepperoni roll"
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep, I like them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#21]

yeah, it's usually in most italian bakeries.

we used to get it all the time when my grandpa lived in NJ.

just pepperoni rolled up in bread , good stuff.

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Love them.

Every time we have relatives come down from WV they must bring pepperoni rolls and Oliverio pepper sauce before we let them in the house.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When I clicked on your thread I thought, Who hasn't heard of these?Then I read & saw where you are from.They are good to carry in your pocket when you are hunting.
Used to see them only in WV, but now they can be found lots more places. I work out of state & get around a bit.

I always thought everyone knew what they were too, till you go outta WV to get one  
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL, I was gonna say well DUH yeah,  but I am from WV.....

The Best ones are at the BP station in Milton and Barboursville !!
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh
I didnt realize it was a plain old dinner roll. Around here, if a calzone is stuffed with cheese and pepperoni, a lot of people just call it a "pepperoni roll"

I'll go dig up Nona Maria Cassasa and tell her "your doing it wrong!"

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#26]
A local sub shop around here has a pizza sub.  About 3/4" of sliced pepperoni, 1/2" of mozzarella, and some sauce all heated up.  I love em.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#27]
No sauce in a stromboli, put sauce in it, it becomes a calzone.

Pepperoni roll is just bread with pepperoni and cheese in a smaller size. Sell them in just about every truck stop mini mart in the US.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Love them.

Every time we have relatives come down from WV they must bring pepperoni rolls and Oliverio pepper sauce before we let them in the house.

Ding.. Ding.. Ding..  We have a winner!!!!! Oliverio's stuff is the shit!! Made in Clarksburg i believe

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't tell if you're talking about pizza bread or a calzone.  I mean...we all have calzones.  My local Italian bakery also makes a nice homemade bread with cheese and pepperoni baked into it.  Toast it and put real butter on it (fuck you margarine hippies), and you're in heaven.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I can't tell if you're talking about pizza bread or a calzone.  I mean...we all have calzones.  My local Italian bakery also makes a nice homemade bread with cheese and pepperoni baked into it.  Toast it and put real butter on it (fuck you margarine hippies), and you're in heaven.

Not toasted Baked, soft like a dinner roll.....

I need a pic, any WV'er out there got one handy

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#31]
It's a WV original.  Introduction widely attributed to County Club Bakery in Fairmont, WV

But, in my opinion, perfected by Colassessano's Pizza, also in Fairmont, WV.

Both locations are within 10 minutes of me!!!  
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Pasco's pepperoni rolls in New Martinsville, WV blow away the Fairmont variety.
Though the Fairmont type carry in your pocket much easier!

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah... W. Virginia invented them...

You got a lot of I-taleans in West Virginia?

Actually...   yes  
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like the "Stuffed Bread" they sell around here. Very good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bunches.

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Nothing better than the pepperoni roll fresh out of the oven
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#40]
And to think that a federal agency almost made them illegal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes and they are outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm hungry for them now... *drools* this thread needs pics.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Stromboli is a type of turnover filled with various cheeses, Italian meats or vegetables. The dough is Italian bread dough.

Stromboli are similar to but distinct from calzones, as calzones are pockets of dough filled with meat, cheese and vegetables, and stromboli can contain the same ingredients but are rolled into an oblong loaf (similar to a burrito) and sliced to serve. The common misconception is that ingredients are the primary difference between calzones and strombolis: many people mistakenly think calzones have ricotta or marinara and stromboli does not. In truth, the ingredients for both calzones and strombolis are at the discretion of the chef.

Yes I have had pepperoni rolls. My favorite pizza joint in VA Beach serves them, along with damn good pizza and Stromboli(their italian stromboli which is more like an italian sub but uses pizza dough instead of a hoggie roll kicks ass)
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#45]
There's a little Italian deli not far from my house that makes fresh pepperoni rolls and strombolis every friday.  The are fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah... W. Virginia invented them...

Actually...   yes  

And to think they ALL decended from the same brother and sister.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

yes, when ever I cross the border to your state  everyone I ever tried where as hard as nails and dry, especially te ones in charelston
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#49]
are you close to Logan County, Wv?
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top