Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2008 9:07:27 AM EDT
If you aren't a felon, is buying body armor from E-Bay legal? Anyone from Texas know? If it's manufactured in China any federal laws broken?

*Note - nevermind the bullshit about mall nina, segeant for a 3 man tactical team in a mall, why do you need it, I don't see the need for it bullshit. If you don't have a serious answer, go play with your penis. Thank you.

Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Your thinking about buying armor made in china...?

Bullet Proof Me
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#2]

If the body armor says airsoft on it, it's probably a no go.

Quoted:

Bullet Proof Me

Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

this sums it up.

Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Here

Guys, the seller sent me the certs. It doesn't contain melamine. Any issues regarding legality? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bullet Proof Me

If you think that's bad, I knew some guys in the Bureau of Prisons who wore vests made by UNICOR.  That's right, their body armor was made by Federal Prison Industries.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here

Guys, the seller sent me the certs. It doesn't contain melamine. Any issues regarding legality? Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
if it were my life, id buy 2 and test 1...
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any issues regarding legality? Thanks.

Try the TX HTF for state laws. Cant help ya with international. I know ITAR applies for export, not sure about import.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Spend the extra $50 and buy from bulletproofme.com

Seriously.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know ITAR applies for export, not sure about import.

That's what I was wondering about. There are so many laws covering this kind of stuff, I figured someone here had previous experience (LEO?) with the topic. Of course, getting someone that's a non-LEO to admit they have body armor here will be like getting someone to admit that they voted for Ron Paul. It was worth a post...
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Man thats good info.  I thought about body armor on ebay but after
reading input from the experts I wil stick to the good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's what I was wondering about. There are so many laws covering this kind of stuff, I figured someone here had previous experience (LEO?) with the topic. Of course, getting someone that's a non-LEO to admit they have body armor here will be like getting someone to admit that they voted for Ron Paul. It was worth a post...

Actually...been to the tactical gear forum in the Armory?
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What's good info.? Only one person has kinda answered the original question about legality. The rest of these posts are "CHINA?"...

IS IT LEGAL?
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's good info.? Only one person has kinda answered the original question about legality. The rest of these posts are "CHINA?"...

Think there might be a reason for that?
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you aren't a felon, is buying body armor from E-Bay legal? Anyone from Texas know? If it's manufactured in China any federal laws broken?

*Note - nevermind the bullshit about mall nina, segeant for a 3 man tactical team in a mall, why do you need it, I don't see the need for it bullshit. If you don't have a serious answer, go play with your penis. Thank you.

I live in Texas and bought some off Ebay...so far not cops.

My plan was to check out one plate with a couple of 7.62s and the other with some 9mm/45 ACP. But I haven't done it yet.

Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, this place is turning into GlockTalk. That's my theory so far.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IS IT LEGAL?

I'm unaware of any specific US law that prohibits what you are wanting to do.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Texas and bought some off Ebay...so far not cops.

My plan was to check out one plate with a couple of 7.62s and the other with some 9mm/45 ACP. But I haven't done it yet.

Cool. If you don't mind me asking, which vendor did you go with? Keep me posted on the results of your test, eh?
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't figure out why people are against buying body armor from China you need help that's way beyond our skills.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IS IT LEGAL?

That's usually an indication of something...

Nothing illegal about body armor in Texas though, to answer your question. See 46.041 of your handy Penal Code...or google it like I just did.

Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't figure out why people are against buying body armor from China you need help that's way beyond our skills.

O.K., I've tried keeping my thread intact, but if you insist... What experience do you personally have with body armor made in China? What specific case were you referring to? Please post a link. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IS IT LEGAL?

That's usually an indication of something...

Nothing illegal about body armor in Texas though, to answer your question. See 46.041 of your handy Penal Code...or google it like I just did.

Indication of what? Wanting to follow the law and buy something that offers a degree of protection against getting shot?

Google? Wow. I mean, it's always the most obvious things that work.

....now back to the thread. Anyone with actual experience on the subject of the legality?
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Of course, getting someone that's a non-LEO to admit they have body armor here will be like getting someone to admit that they voted for Ron Paul.

I'm not an LEO, own body armor, and wrote-in a vote for Ron Paul.

Whether it is legal to do so or not, buying Chinese BA from eBay, (when one can spend ~$50 more for an American made vest from bulletproofme.com) is an dumb idea of monumental proportions.

Just sayin' that might be why you are getting the responses you are getting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Depending on your state law, felons owning/using body armor is against the law. I know a few years back this was introduced into a crime bill by Clinton for the federal level covering all states.

Please be aware that using body armor while in the commission of a crime, is a crime in most places I know. It shows premeditation and unless you got a bullet-proof face mask - you're not bullet-proof. The Hollywood bank robbers wore body armor and one still died from leg wounds when he bled out. I tend to do follow-up shots to the face, Twice.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course, getting someone that's a non-LEO to admit they have body armor here will be like getting someone to admit that they voted for Ron Paul.

I'm not an LEO, own body armor, and wrote-in a vote for Ron Paul.

Whether it is legal to do so or not, buying Chinese BA from eBay, (when one can spend ~$50 more for an American made vest from bulletproofme.com) is an dumb idea of monumental proportions.

Just sayin' that might be why you are getting the responses you are getting.

Yeah, I got that. Of course, I didn't request any of that info., and my question to the poster stands:

"What experience do you personally have with body armor made in China? What specific case were you referring to? Please post a link. Thank you.".

I appreciate the concern, but it's my money, my choice, and I don't really need all the negativity. Either answer if you know, or find another thread, please.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Depending on your state law, felons owning/using body armor is against the law. I know a few years back this was introduced into a crime bill by Clinton for the federal level covering all states.

Please be aware that using body armor while in the commission of a crime, is a crime in most places I know. It shows premeditation and unless you got a bullet-proof face mask - you're not bullet-proof. The Hollywood bank robbers wore body armor and one still died from leg wounds when he bled out. I tend to do follow-up shots to the face, Twice.

I'm not interested in committing a crime. I'm trying to avoid committing a crime by buying the body armor. Why is that so difficult to understand? I don't want to rob a bank, I want a vest for the quickly deteriorating economic condition we find ourselves in. If I have to go to the a.t.m., sell someone a car, a ftf transaction, or anything that involves my safety, I'd like to have a vest. I'm not planning a heist, I don't give a shit if it's from China, Israel, or a sweaty surplus from BulletProofMe (because cops take such great care of their shit). I would like to get decent priced armor. I started to buy from U.S. Cav., but those people wanted everything but a retinal scan and stool sample. I send them my i.d., cert., etc. They still wanted letterhead. I'm on vacation, and no way am I going back to the office to type some shit up for something I can get somewhere else for the same or less price. I don't care that it's from China. I figured someone on this board had gone down this road and could share their info. I was wrong. Thanks to everyone anyway.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I appreciate the concern, but it's my money, my choice, and I don't really need all the negativity. Either answer if you know, or find another thread, please.

Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Look man if you want a no BS answer about legality then you need to talk to your local PD. Asking a random group of internet guys a legality question is foolish. And then getting bent out of shape about the answers your getting is a waste of time.

So take a deep breath and reread the answers and you will see what your missing.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Body armor is perfectly legal in all fifty states. Don't buy Chinese; it's shit. Plenty of affordable American vests available.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#30]
so far as I know, the only Texas laws regarding body armor is that it's a crime to use it in the commission of a crime.  Kind of a tack-on charge.

I have no clue about Federal laws regarding buying it from China.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#31]
certainly easier for a prosecutor to form INTENT in the event that you may or may not have done something illegal
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Damn, didn't know posession of body armor was prohibited by a felon...

10 years ain't no joke
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#33]
You can purchase Body Armor as long as you are NOT a Convicted Felon or live in the state of CT or MA (only LE or persons with a letter from local LE can buy). Can't remember which one.

I have the GH Armor (SWAT Molle) Level IV ballistic plates 10"x12", front and back.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not interested in committing a crime. I'm trying to avoid committing a crime by buying the body armor. Why is that so difficult to understand? I don't want to rob a bank, I want a vest for the quickly deteriorating economic condition we find ourselves in. If I have to go to the a.t.m., sell someone a car, a ftf transaction, or anything that involves my safety, I'd like to have a vest. I'm not planning a heist, I don't give a shit if it's from China, Israel, or a sweaty surplus from BulletProofMe (because cops take such great care of their shit). I would like to get decent priced armor. I started to buy from U.S. Cav., but those people wanted everything but a retinal scan and stool sample. I send them my i.d., cert., etc. They still wanted letterhead. I'm on vacation, and no way am I going back to the office to type some shit up for something I can get somewhere else for the same or less price. I don't care that it's from China. I figured someone on this board had gone down this road and could share their info. I was wrong. Thanks to everyone anyway.

So buy the damn vest from China than. What laws would be broken? Everything else that is sold in the US is from that fucking place.

Me? I would rather stick to a site that people IN THE KNOW are telling you to go to. But that's just me...and I like my life. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#35]
You gotta love the fact that the guy is concerned enough to be buying body armor, but gets offended when people suggest that maybe he wants to buy stuff that is known for quality and reliability instead of a product sold by people who make cheap, unreliable shit that may or may be toxic.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are in LE, get your letterhead, ID copy, supervisor direct line and order from a dealer. If you don't want to go that route, go to a local vendor, show your ID and buy your armor. Retailers are trying to keep sensitive items out of the hands of bad guys. I'm having the same issue trying to get a vest carrier from Gall's. They want all that shit plus shipped to my agency. I'll just get my stuff locally and get my sheriff ID plates from the uniform shop.

If you are a felon, order it from China and I hope you don't get caught- or maybe I do.

Oh, and if you want legal advice that is worth it, talk to your lawyer not the internets...
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top