Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2001 9:46:48 PM EDT
OK here is the deal. I am in OH at my parents house and I can't carry up here like I can back in NC. Well I also realized My parents have no guns to protect themselves. As a matter of fact I brought my Home defense 12ga up to take them shooting in hopes they will but one. Well I had a nightmare like never before. Short of it I was being choked from behind and Went for my holster and it wasn't there. Woke up having trouble breathing and a large lump in my throat. When I woke up I layed in bed and realized there was no gun in the house. I had this horrible feeling of fear and guilt. So bad that before I sat down to write this I got dressed threw on my coat and went out to the car unlocked my gun case and brought in my 12ga and loaded it. It is now laying next to my bed (slightly under) just like at home. My question is IS THIS NORMAL? Should I seek help? Have any of you ever had this happen? It doesn't help that my wife already lovingly refers to me as her nut (in referance to Gun Nut).
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in this asshole of a state all the time. I always have a gun nearby at home and keep one in my car (unloaded acording to state law). I pray for the day when I can carry a gun without it being a felony. There are many times when I wish I was carrying. I have never had the need but that doesn't meen I never will. I carry a pocket knife and a leatherman tool to be better prepared for different situations, I also carry tools in my car. At some point every day I truly wish I was carrying. At least you get to go back to a decent state...

Guncrazy223
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
... I am fortunate to be able to carry 24/7 in my state. However I will always carry; regardless of law.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]
My parents are in a neighboring state. They basically have a single action pistol and a Winchester 94.  Fine firearms to be sure, but not the type to keep loaded and ready 24/7.  We've talked about them getting something such as a double action revolver, but nothing yet.

When I go visit, the state law says I can have the firearm in the car with me.  And once I'm on their property, since it's private property, carrying is ok.

The "nightmare" part is being in a situation and unable to defend my loved ones.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
If its any consolation, I spend 11 months of the year in Germany without firearms - except when I'm in a military convoy or with German shooting buddies......and Americans have a high-risk of being attacked by Turks at night if you are in the wrong place..........If I go out at night my biggest defense is avoiding trouble areas....sometimes I carry a MOD automatic knife......but your best bet is to avoid potential trouble spots - armed or unarmed......one year from now I'll be back in the States though and working on a CCW permit for my Sig Sauer - which like my other firearms stays in the States all year.....  
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if "fear" is exactly right but because I've had guns in general all my life and a CCW for good while I find my self "uneasy" when I don't have a weapon at hand.
Kinda like I've put on my best suit (with the two pairs of pants) but find I've forgotten to put on socks - somethings missing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#6]
adtech,

>>My question is IS THIS NORMAL? Should I seek help? <<

No.  Yes.

Seriously, maybe.  Look, if you truly could not resist going out to the car, in the middle of the night with no threat present or expected, you might have a bit of a thing going.  If this is the first time you had to have a weapon for no reason and it doesn't recur?  Forget it.  But if you are always uneasy when disarmed, I would be concerned.  Here, I can carry 24/7 legally.  When I visit home today in Kentucky, I can't take a weapon with me.  Will I lose sleep?   Nope.  

I do admit though the other day I went "shopping" with the wife unit and realized halfway into town (30 minutes frm home) that I had NO firearms in the car.  (Been to range, interupted in cleaning, never finished).  Had a moment where I thought about going back but decided if today is the day some moron picks to want to kill me - it was just that morons lucky day.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it in fact DOES make me nervous when I do not have access to a firearm.  I as well am fortunate in that I may legally carry in my state, but I also have long ago made the decision to be responsible for my/my family's protection regardless of "law".
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Driving at least once a week from Michigan, where I can carry, to Kentucky, where I can also carry, and having to disarm through Ohio, I know what you are feeling.  Of course knowing that I had something in the trunk made it a lot easier.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#10]
This is a good reason to consider alternate strategies for self defense. Edged weapons, impact weapons, grappling/holds (pain compliance), striking, choking, and other martial arts can be part of a complete system.

Obsessive reliance on firearms means a neglect of these other skills.

If you cannot carry a gun, carry a knife, and if not a knife then carry an impact weapon like a hardwood walking cane or a flashlight of sufficient size.

The concept here is to never be unarmed and certainly, never unaware of your environment.

I carry as much as I can but I just can't be armed with a gun 24/7.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#11]
ADTECHARMS

Its sounds a little excessive to me especially if this happened all the time.  Hey a single bad dream or overreaction is not evidence of a serious psych problem.  I'm no shrink but have you sufferred any traumatic incidents?  I know a few fellow cops who have been through incidents and reacted like that.  As for the wife, mine does not understand why I carry 24/7 either, but she has not put away hundreds of perps either.  Hey I don't like travelling to areas where I cant carry but I bite the bullet and leave it home.  Being unarmed is disconcerting and I am more cautuous -- thats it.  Note though after 9-11 I have gone back to my .40 from the 380 and am much more safty conscious.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#12]
since criminals have more rights than me and facing a civil law suit from the worthless bastards family(loss of drugs er'I mean love)a civilian Tazer sounds like a good deal considering you can drop the asshole an let the cops pick his soiled sorry ass up.The models I've seen look like a Model 1911 Colt an have a red dot laser........
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I live in Arizona which to some degree is a gun-friendly state. I also have a CCW permit. That being said, there are places even here in AZ that attempt to prohibit carry. WHat it comes down to for me is an (1) an oath I took 12 years ago and (2) a commitment to follow God's law over man's law EVERYTIME.

What does all this mean? How many seconds are there in a day? Well, I carry every one of those seconds of every day, no exceptions. I and I alone will be the master of my and my loved one's fates, no exceptions. My spirit demands that I accept this task and do nothing less.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't have a fear of being unarmed, but I do feel naked without a gun on me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#15]
We went to visit my in-laws in Cleveland Oh. this summer{what a sh#&hole}. At home I carry at all times and just couldn't handle the thought of not being able to protect my family,so I brought a .45 with me. I didn't have it "on me" all the time ,but it was always close enough to make me feel better( in the truck,the in-laws apt. etc. )and when we were at the picnic area I had a 4D Maglite with me (it was dark),but the truck was only 30 feet away.

Paranoid?? Who Me??[peep]

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I pray for the day when I can carry a gun without it being a felony.
Guncrazy223
View Quote

I believe the 2nd Amendment guarantees that you can.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I carrie 24/7. As a way of life.Your nightmare was caused by you not having a gun like you do back home.I would say 90% of people would not go out to get their gun after they woke up.But I think 90% of the people are sheep.
  The sheep want you to beleve that It's not normal to carry to work, church, or play.I hope they havn't brainwashed you with their plug-In drug the TV.
  My carry guns.[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/039/Qw/kH/XI/Gv23093.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]
No, I don't think there is anything wrong with you.  First, you are questioning your own feelings...that's a sign of sanity.  Secondly, Murphy's Law is in play.  The ONE time you don't carry could turn out to be the ONE time you actually need the gun.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Is that why I've always got a pistol on the puter desk, just in case the monitor tries anything?
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey relax, everyone get's wierded out by a dream now and then. As for wondering if your losing it about needing a firearm close at hand all the time I think that is just a byproduct of all the anti-gun hysteria that is around. I had my CCW for 4 month's before I had the nerve to carry it and then I did not even have it loaded ( Oh boy Mister Bad guy I don't have any bullet's but you better get lost, Ya right). I think it just show's that a person is taking the CCW thing very seriously.
Really a gun is just a tool and I think you need to use the best tool for the job at hand.

DJbump would you care to elaborate on the "God' law over man's law" statement.
Mail me if you do not want it on here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I know how you feel, I was shopping at the mall with my wife today and some gang dudes started getting into it and I felt for my sidearm but I had forgotten it.
We backed away as quickly as we could, luckily no gunfire occured but you had to know the bad guys were carrying.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#22]
You are normal, at least in this company.  
Murphy's Law
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#23]
The only time that I don't carry a sidearm is at work ($#%@#*& federal laws). My biggest fear is having my Glock print or someone bumping in to it at an inopportune time.

Situational Awareness comes into play when I legally can’t carry, both for potential problems, exits and possible last ditch defensive weapons.

Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#24]
DJbump would you care to elaborate on the "God' law over man's law" statement.
Mail me if you do not want it on here.
View Quote

Simple really. What the founders of this once great nation stated and committed to paper is that we all have rights given us by Creator, which earthly governments CANNOT take away. Only Creator can revoke our rights. No matter what our unholy government(s) do, these rights still exist. The only issue is whether or not you are willing to pay the cost of exercising them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#25]
If you have the proper mental conditioning and physical training, you are 'armed' at all times whether you are in possession of a firearm or not.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top