Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 4:18:25 PM EDT
I don't golf. I'm buying someone a few dozen golf balls for christmas. What is the best brand to get?

Thanks,
Tom
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't golf. I'm buying someone a few dozen golf balls for christmas. What is the best brand to get?

Thanks,
Tom
View Quote

Hahaha....this is just about as subjective as the old 9mm or .45 arguement.

If you only care to get the very best you can't go wrong with Titleist Professionals or the new NXT Tour.

Personally, I use Slazenger DC Tours, but it's all just personal choice and sometimes superstition.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The spongy free ones with the cool red stripe you can snag at 5am on any driving range.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
TITLEIST !!!!  depending on their skill level, DT's all the way to the holy grail....Pro-V1's.
They make a ball for all levels of golfers.
[:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Titlelist Pro-V1 is the current rage on and off the PGA Tour. There is a debate going on about the flight characteristics of the ball depending on what alignment you use to tee it up. The pros are saying that if you tee it up with the Pro-V1 logo perpendicular with the ball flight it will go longer and higher. Parallel to the ball flight will give a lower 'wind cheating' ball flight.
I have used them and they have the absolute best 'feel' of any golf ball on the marke. They are also some of the most expensive and nothing says I care like expensive gifts.

BTW, youcould get me a dozen while your at it. E-mail me for my address and such.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of golfers will play with anything they can pick up cheap. Others are very particular. If you are buying several dozen, find out what your golfer plays.

I only play Topflite XL2000 extra spin balls. If you bought me Titleist Professionals (at 2 times or more the XL2000 price), I'd thank you very kindly for the excellent present. Then I'd trade them off for XL2000's.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't tried the Pro-V1s yet, but a couple of friends seem to like the Professionals better.

Guess I'll have to buy a sleeve the next time out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for the Titleist. DT if its just an acquintance. Pro V1's for your boss, or a very good friend.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]
To tell the truth, if you golf like me, just make sure the ball is round. Thats it. I have to learn how to hit the damn things before I can worry about "good" ones.

Besides, golfballs these days are all "distance this, distance that," but my longest drive ever was hit with a ball that looked like it was up someones ass for a month. (It wasnt though)
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the pinical extreem.

I suck so bad, I figure the farther the ball goes the closer I am to the pin.

Works for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
i dont know the brand, but theyre very light (hollow i think), comes in neon colors, and full of holes. a solid hit with a decent driver should send them careening about 30-40 yards easy. check the toy section of your local Wal-Mart. [whacko]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Titleist Pro Distance 100 compression
Taylor Made Pro Distance
Or Callaway Blue
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#12]
[size=5] TITLEIST [/size=5]

End of story, the best ball out there!

Pro V-1's are WORTH the $50/dozen price tag IF the person hitting the ball is good enough to tell the diff. between a Good ball, and a GREAT ball!

Oh, and [url] www.liquidgolf.com [/url] has good prices on everything golf.

Happy strokin'
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the replies everybody. It looks like I'll be going out to find some Titleist balls tomorrow.

I'm buying them for my Dad. He just retired and is playing golf quite a bit (and complaining about losing balls too often).
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:20:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm buying them for my Dad. He just retired and is playing golf quite a bit (and complaining about losing balls too often).
View Quote

AAAAAAAA!!  Don't buy him the Titleist! Use the $50 and buy him a bunch of the cheaper balls. He will thank you for it. Otherwise, you $50 gift will all be lost in an afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:07:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[size=5] TITLEIST [/size=5]

End of story, the best ball out there!

Pro V-1's are WORTH the $50/dozen price tag IF the person hitting the ball is good enough to tell the diff. between a Good ball, and a GREAT ball!

Oh, and [url] www.liquidgolf.com [/url] has good prices on everything golf.

Happy strokin'
View Quote
Titleist Simply the best ball going
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:09:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
To tell the truth, if you golf like me, just make sure the ball is round. Thats it. I have to learn how to hit the damn things before I can worry about "good" ones.

Besides, golfballs these days are all "distance this, distance that," but my longest drive ever was hit with a ball that looked like it was up someones ass for a month. (It wasnt though)
View Quote
Try the PRO-v 1 you CAN tell the difference
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top