Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2008 9:59:57 AM EDT
Let me start by saying I'm not mad about this - I'm not the "I'm a veteran, so you must respect me!" type of guy.  Maybe slightly miffed, but not mad.

GA has a program where they'll issue veteran's driver's licenses to conflict era veterans.  You have to go a state VA office with your DD214, they verify your eligibility and give you a form for the DMV (or DDS in GA).  The DDS then issues a free license that expires on your 65th birthday, and nearly all interactions with them are free for life.  I couldn't pass up almost 40 years without the DDS, so I got my vet's license a few months ago.  It's the only vet benefit I've ever taken advantage of, mostly because it's a net reduction in gov bureaucracy in my life.

I was flying back from a business trip this morning, coming through Washington Reagan after taking care of some jobs in DE and northern VA.  I got to the TSA checkpoint and handed the girl my boarding pass and DL.  She looked at the license, looked at me, looked at it with her little purple light thing, bent it, looked again - then repeated that about five times.  Then she called over a super who did the same thing.

Agent to super: Look, it expires in 2047, I've never seen that.
Me: It's a veteran's license, it expires when I turn 65.
Super: What branch?
Me: Marine Corps.
Super:  Hmmm, you deploy recently?
Me: 3 or 4 years ago, not really recently.  I'm out now. (explaining goatee, shaggy hair, and fat ass).  Look, it says "VET" right on the bottom
Super: *starts looking around* I know a guy who would know...
Me:  Is he a vet from GA?  
Super: No...
Me:  I don't think many states do this, so he probably wouldn't know

The super examined it again, then said to the clerk "Alright, approve it, but flag him for additional screening".  He then walked away without another word, and the clerk gave me the red slash across the boarding pass.  I then got the pleasure of a pat-down and a thorough bag search.

On a side note, I also noticed TSA agents searching checked bags right behind the ticket counters, in full view of passengers, and open to access by baggage handlers, ticket clerks, etc.  No wonder so many things go missing from bags.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I got flagged flying on orders!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
You should see the TSA mouthbreathers in Houston.  

AZ licenses are good for decades too... don't think mine expires 'till 2030 something.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They do this because they know you won't have anything thereby not generating any additional work for them.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I like how they insist on x-raying a braided belt.  You know, the kind you can see through.

I get the pat-down all of the time because of 4 fake joints.  

Woohoo.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine doesn't expire until 2032. I'm like you though - I don't expect anything special but to be flagged would piss me off. That BS man.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Playing devil's advocate for a second, maybe it's not because they are discriminating against a vet but rather that this is a form of ID they've never seen before so they are being extra 'procedural' in their treatment.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#7]
They don't recognize it visually as the standard DL type and so you pop up as an exception case.  Such cases (spawned by many, many factors) get secondary inspection.  It may be a PIA but its the unfortunate result of having a DL that doesn't look like the standard type.  It may not have had the UV feature where they expect it to be.

BTW - I salute you for your service.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Playing devil's advocate for a second, maybe it's not because they are discriminating against a vet but rather that this is a form of ID they've never seen before so they are being extra 'procedural' in their treatment.

That's true, and I didn't intend to give the impression that they did it because they have some problem with vets.  I don't know their reasoning, I just know they did it because of the vet's license.
I tend to agree with you though, they probably just did it because they aren't familiar with the ID.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Let me start by saying I'm not mad about this .......

That's OK.

I'm pissed for you.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

AD flying on orders generally exempts you from extra screening.  Did they actually paw through all your stuff?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They don't recognize it visually as the standard DL type and so you pop up as an exception case.  Such cases (spawned by many, many factors) get secondary inspection.  It may be a PIA but its the unfortunate result of having a DL that doesn't look like the standard type.  It may not have had the UV feature where they expect it to be.

BTW - I salute you for your service.  

Thanks.  AFAIK, the only difference is the expiration date and the word "VET" under "TYPE" - but I get your point.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Wanna hear a good one?

I was going through El Paso and used my CAC as ID instead of my DL.

They said they could not accept that because it says "Contractor" on it.

So just because it says that makes it an invalid form of ID?

I guess noone explained to these idiots that the CAC process is the same for everyone..

TSA = Schmucks of the HIGHEST order
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I got home from Kuwait, was with about 30 other guys in full blown dessert camo uniforms and they flagged me for "being a suspicions person" WTF? I had a rucksack and orders in hand, didn't matter. Idiots.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I were traveling together. She produced her DL, but I couldn't find mine. Instead I gave them my retired military ID card. She got immediate clearance, it took 45 minutes for me to clear.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

AD flying on orders generally exempts you from extra screening.  Did they actually paw through all your stuff?

they pawed thru all of ours. They cut the locks off of all our seabags which had a ton of .mil gear in them. One guy lost had his benchmade stolen out of his seabag.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they pawed thru all of ours. They cut the locks off of all our seabags which had a ton of .mil gear in them. One guy lost had his benchmade stolen out of his seabag.

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me.  I flew to a wedding and put my $150 benchmade in my luggage.  I get to my destination to find that TSA flyer in my bag and no knife.

Fucking theives.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Some airports arent bad about additional screening, you just walk through the explosives puffer and the metal detector and you're on your way (sometimes without even removing your shoes), while others suck and require a complete pat-down.

I use to get SSSS'ed around once a month when I was traveling heavily for work, I was glad when my employer changed the payment method for tickets to one the TSA considered less suspicious and stopped having so many flamboyant individuals checking out the zipper of my pants while on their knees.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Happens to me 90% of the time.  Now I never show my military ID as a form of ID, civilian passport only.  I've been flagged countless times flying in or out of uniform, bastards.    From my experience (dozens of flights) a .mil ID or passport is a guarantee of extra screening.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Just think.  The whole country is now going to be lead by a group of people who operate like the TSA.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just think.  The whole country is now going to be lead by a group of people who operate like the TSA.

Yep.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#21]
RED ALERT RED ALERT

You are a F'ing terrorist and you know it!

Anyone who thinks we are becoming a "more advanced" society is seriously delusional.

"hey, were are we going?.............and why are we in this handbasket?"
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, I got home from Kuwait, was with about 30 other guys in full blown dessert camo uniforms and they flagged me for "being a suspicions person" WTF? I had a rucksack and orders in hand, didn't matter. Idiots.

When I got back from my deployment for OEF, there were a half-dozen of us in civilian clothes: active-duty ID cards, and all with our orders in our back pockets.

We got flagged... not because we were terrorists, but because we were a group of unaccompanied military-aged men with one-way tickets.  We showed ID and orders, and they promptly waived the extra screening.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I got flagged while I was carrying....

They were clueless as to why I was objecting and trying to bypass the detectors
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Because terrorists would want to stand out by presenting "unique" IDs that draw scrutiny?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That happens a hell of a lot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same here, After I was in my seat the flight attendant was walking down the isle looking at every single person's face. but not saying anything to them  (I was in the very last row, so I noticed)  when he got to me, he asked to see my ticket.  He looked at it for awhile, handed it back, and walked away.. I was just sitting there with "WTF?" written on my forehead.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been flagged flying WITH FBI agents on travel docs from the DOJ.

On one trip the TSA bubba told the first FBI Special agent he needed to search his carry on, SA asked why. He said in case you have a gun in there. The FBI agent said, "son I have a gun right here."

The TSA said well you might have one right there too. In a smart ass tone. The agent said I can have one right there, if I want to have one right there. TSA looked perplexed but would not stop the stupid. The FBI SA said son go get your boss I need to square him away.

He did and he did.

TSA like all gov't and other labor forces has its share of morons.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me.  I flew to a wedding and put my $150 benchmade in my luggage.  I get to my destination to find that TSA flyer in my bag and no knife.

Fucking theives.

Flew into Miami International on orders from Panama, seabag and all, got sent to secondary.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I got back from my deployment for OEF, there were a half-dozen of us in civilian clothes: active-duty ID cards, and all with our orders in our back pockets.

We got flagged... not because we were terrorists, but because we were a group of unaccompanied military-aged men with one-way tickets.  We showed ID and orders, and they promptly waived the extra screening.

I would not doubt that in their initial training they are told to pay attention to those that appear to be military or present military orders, as that is a perfect cover for drug smugglers or terrorists.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I had something similar happen. I was in Arizona for BCS championship when I lost my Driver's License. I had my concealed carry permit with me, so I figured that would work. So there I am in the airport, hungover, wearing a Gators shirt. Everyone else at that counter was dressed similarly, as most of that flight was Gators fans heading back to Florida. So I hand them my CC card, and tell them I lost my DL. The woman kind of stares at it for a minute, and asks me what the card was. I told them it was a state issued photo ID, and that no, I wasn't carrying at that time. She calls her supervisor over, and they talk about it for a minute. Then the supervisor says to me, "It's ok, but we're going to have to do a few extra steps for security reasons. He gets out a sharpie and draws BIG RED X's THROUGH MY BOARDING PASS.

Here's where things go downhill.  As you can imagine, I got everything but the cavity search at the security checkpoint. This little old TSA lady is reassuring me "this is normal, it happens occasionally, we'll get you on your plane with plenty of time." As she's saying it, this red strobe light starts going off on one of the machines. I asked her, "Is that normal?". As soon as I said it the freaking sirens start going off. Security people started SPRINTING from across the terminal. They have a hasty huddle, and one of them comes over to me. "Sir, your boots tested positive for dynamite residue. Is there any reason you would have traces of explosives on your shoes?" I managed to convince them it was fertilizer from an orange grove, but all in all it wasn't an experience I'd like to repeat. You know what it was? Tannerite. I'd been shooting the week before.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#31]
If you had been wearing a full burqa you would have been waived right through.  Wouldn't want any racial profiling.

Grandma or grandpa would have got the full strip treatment, though.

All 19 of the 9/11 terrorists were really white 90 year old Americans in truth.

I've seen it countless times when rude, loud Arab looking men get waived through and the oldsters get the full strip treatment due to knee or hip replacements.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happens to me 90% of the time.  Now I never show my military ID as a form of ID, civilian passport only.  I've been flagged countless times flying in or out of uniform, bastards.    From my experience (dozens of flights) a .mil ID or passport is a guarantee of extra screening.  

LE too  I remember a while back when a bunch of NYPD guys in uniform flying back from a funeral for one of their own guys got the full search treatment from TSA.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Gentlemen,

Military (AD,Reserve, or Guard) flying on orders in or out of uniform are not supposed to have extra screening.  The TSA know (or should know) this.

You need to present your orders to the agent when checking in to the counter.  

If you still get extra screening then ask to speak to the supervisor prior to the screening and take notes.  Then follow-up with a CongInt to help out fellow service members.

S/F, FOG
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had the opinion that TSA = scum.

I've yet to be proven wrong..
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I've been flagged flying WITH FBI agents on travel docs from the DOJ.

On one trip the TSA bubba told the first FBI Special agent he needed to search his carry on, SA asked why. He said in case you have a gun in there. The FBI agent said, "son I have a gun right here."

Odd, when flying armed you're suppose to bypass TSA altogether.  From the ticket counter straight to the gate.  The whole purpose of flying armed is that noone but the airline knows you're flying armed.  Even in this case, why the TSA screener needed to draw more attention than "zero" is beyond me.

TSA like all gov't and other labor forces has its share of morons.

Seems to be the norm, not the exception.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#36]
MINNEAPOLIS - A Minnesota reservist who spent the past eight months in Iraq was told he couldn't board a plane to Minneapolis because his name appeared on a "no-fly" list as a possible terrorist.

Marine Staff Sgt. Daniel Brown, who was in uniform and returning from the war with 26 other Marine military police reservists, was delayed briefly in Los Angeles until the issue was cleared up.

The other reservists arrived at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport as scheduled, but instead of immediately meeting their families, they waited on a bus for Brown.

Brown arrived more than an hour later.

"A guy goes over and serves his country fighting for eight or nine months, and then we come home and put up with this crap?" Brown told the St. Paul Pioneer Press upon arrival.

Problems at LA airport
Brown, 32, of Coon Rapids, was returning from service in the Al-Anbar province of Iraq, known as the dangerous Sunni Triangle. He ran into problems at the Los Angeles airport on Tuesday morning.

"I was told it was going to take some time because they informed me I was on a government watch list," Brown said. "People at the Northwest counter said they had to call somebody to get me cleared."

The presence of Brown's name on the watch list apparently resulted from an airport incident when he was on his way to Iraq.

He was trying to board a plane last June for training in California before heading to Iraq in September. But Transportation Security Administration screeners found gunpowder residue on his boots — likely left over from a previous two-month tour in Iraq.
"I tried to explain what was going on, that I'd just got home and was going back again," Brown said. "They made a big stink about it, and I ended up missing my flight to California."

A spokeswoman with the TSA told the Pioneer Press on Tuesday she was unfamiliar with Brown's case and not comment on it. A TSA spokeswoman did not immediately return a message from the Associated Press on Wednesday.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I unknowingly flew from VA to MI with a layover in Minneapolis ROUNDTRIP with 2 loaded glock 26 mags and found a TSA "Notice of Baggage Inspection" in my bag several days after my trip.

Yes they are retards.

And I am very lucky .
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Former military = terrorist

Hey, we got terrorists here!

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#39]
TSA are a bunch of idiots. I had surgey on my nuts, 8 hours later I was being wheeled through the airport by the NW counter girl in an airport wheel chair. I give TSA my military ID, SOB's make me get up and hoble through the metal detector and inspect the airport wheel chair. Counter girl was pissed and ripping them up and down. My nuts hurt even worse after that. And I have been flagged on orders too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I wonder how hard it is for someone to print up on a poster a pic of all used dl or id cards for the tsa people. Then they look at it or study it instead of hassling veterans.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I remember a tv show once where the guy was a photographer and would carry in his suitcase with the expensive camera equipment a blank firing only gun. That way they would mark the suitcase as containing a firearm and he said its the best way not to loose the luggage because it would be a huge hassle if the gun was lost. It may have been on american shooter years ago. Dont know if that would work nowadays.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Write Your Governor to write TSA a letter and let them know, maybe ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#43]
AZ licenses expire when you're 65.

I was pulled aside for additional screening the day after I got back from Iraq, on my way home. In uniform. The TSA people got a lot of hostile comments and looks about it. They looked pretty embarrassed by the time they were done.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Then again, perhaps these "professionals" should have some kind of notebook with all this information contained therein. This sounds like a fairly common thing for Georgia vets, and something that information about which should be commonly available to TSA screeners.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#45]
The ATF (aka F-Troop) gets the people who don't qualify for the CIA, FBI, or IRS.

The TSA gets the ones who don't even qualify for the ATF.

I think you have to have been fired from at least one McDonald's to get hired by the TSA.

Out of all these thousands of people they flag as "potential terrorists" and do extra searches or don't allow to fly...

Has the TSA ever caught a single terrorist?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Wasn't it a year or so ago they rousted a funeral detail in uniform accompanying a casket? Surprised they didn't open the thing.

Quoted:
MINNEAPOLIS - A Minnesota reservist who spent the past eight months in Iraq was told he couldn't board a plane to Minneapolis because his name appeared on a "no-fly" list as a possible terrorist.

A spokeswoman with the TSA told the Pioneer Press on Tuesday she was unfamiliar with Brown's case and not comment on it. A TSA spokeswoman did not immediately return a message from the Associated Press on Wednesday.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

You're screwed.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking junkies, stealing supplies from people defending there freedom. Have fun in hell to whoever stole that guys knife.

People are saying military ID's usually get them extra screening, that is such bullshit. Yet, if you work for the .gov and have a little American flag pin you are exempt
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Gentlemen,

Military (AD,Reserve, or Guard) flying on orders in or out of uniform are not supposed to have extra screening.  The TSA know (or should know) this.

You need to present your orders to the agent when checking in to the counter.  

If you still get extra screening then ask to speak to the supervisor prior to the screening and take notes.  Then follow-up with a CongInt to help out fellow service members.

S/F, FOG

Exactly... I don't know what airlines you were all flying, but I never got the extra-screening proctoscope.  

Displaying ID and orders promptly put a stop to that nonsense every time I traveled... then again, we were a bunch of surly field-grade officers, mostly physicians and surgeons.  On our way back from OEF, we were tired, dirty, and not going to put up with that sh*t.  When the ranking officer of our little group (a colonel, and orthopedic surgeon) started growling at the TSA person, they apologized and backed down.

You just have to know the regs, and the rules... quote them chapter and verse, and the person you're dealing with will usually back off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Fuck the TSA
Fuck Obama
Fuck Congress
Fuck Libs
Fuck anyone who does not believe in the US Constitution like they would the bible

Fuck the Fucking  Fuckers
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I got flagged on orders while I was Army and then when I was transporting a prisoner from our custody to the Feds at Miami International Airport. I was in full uniform and going to meet the Feds at their Boarding Gate. We busted some guy with a Federal BW. Called the feds and they wanted him ASAP! (I'm LEO now)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top