Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 11:47:51 AM EDT
Anyone have any ideas?  Its running Xp Home.  If I installed XP Pro w/SP2 and booted from the disc to install would it run and install the upgrade?

0x00000050 (0x7F6, 0x00000000, 0xF7A658E3, 0x00000000)

These are the codes listed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the STOP message on the BSOD?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]
there is eerily little info in this post.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#3]
If you boot it from the disc, you wouldn't be doing an "in-place" upgrade like you are asking about. The "in-place" upgrade is will keep all your apps, settings etc.

If you did as you described and you didn't format you drive, most of you files could be found but it would take someone who knows XP decently well to do so and you'd also have to reinstall all your apps.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
When you choose Safe Mode, have you tried to choose the Last Known Good Configuration?  You may also be able to do a repair.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When you choose Safe Mode, have you tried to choose the Last Known Good Configuration?  You may also be able to do a repair.

That's what I would do, a "repair" install.

It will keep all your settings/apps but it will revert all the system files back usually fixing an issue like this.

I've been doing this kind of work for years and I don't think "last known good" has ever fixed as issue for me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I would do, a "repair" install.

It will keep all your settings/apps but it will revert all the system files back usually fixing an issue like this.

I've been doing this kind of work for years and I don't think "last known good" has ever fixed as issue for me.

It is a rarity, I will give you that.  Works 1 in a million though :
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to guess that you have an AMD processor in your machine.  If that's the case, then this is likely your problem: clicky
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm at work and can't get the numbers from the screen till later on.  I'll post them later tonight.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#10]
If it will boot to safe mode, try system restore and revert back to a previous date.
Run SP3 again and see what happens, it could've been a fluke.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]
It won't boot into safe mode.  No matter which option to boot up I have selected, it always goes to the BSOD.

The tower is actually only used to store pictures (which weren't backed up).  How do I go about accessing the HDD to save the pics before just nuking the OS...if it comes to that?

0x00000050 (0x7F6, 0x00000000, 0xF7A658E3, 0x00000000)
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have another machine?  Take the HDD out, install it as a second drive in a known good machine, and just copy all the files you need before nuking it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
What do you want to do fix it or get your pictures back ?

Do you have your recovery and/or operating system cd ?

I have worked on three of these in the past two weeks... I actually repaired one.   But I did save the data on the other two.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have worked on three of these in the past two weeks... I actually repaired one.   But I did save the data on the other two.

Preferably, I'd like to save the files and then format and reinstall.  I've never really bothered with trying to recover files before.  I usually just format and reinstall whenever I have major issues.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Use the recovery console to uninstall the service pack. You will manually have to get into the file directories like you did with DOS.  Find the uninstall directory (something like $NtServicePackUninstall$) under the \WINDOWS directory and run the uninstall program found there (spuninst.exe) in the ..\spuninst subdirectory.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preferably, I'd like to save the files and then format and reinstall.  I've never really bothered with trying to recover files before.  I usually just format and reinstall whenever I have major issues.

OK , this choice is the easiest to do. (If you have another desktop computer)  Just take the drive out of the case and install it as a slave in the other system. Search for your files and transfer to the other computer. After that you can format and restore the drive.

(These are VERY basic instructions so ask for details if you need them.)

Edit to add: Upon further research this is NOT the same problem I have fixed before. The problem I ran into was missing/corrupt registry. Your problem seems to be video/memory related? The information above is still correct though.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Did you boot off the CD and do a repair install like I said?

Start it as you go to bed tonight, check it when you wake up or when you get home from work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top